Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Offensive players are the most sought after one’s who also cost the most money, maybe we have a player or two lined up but the selling/loaning club are looking at a replacement first.

So many experts on here who don’t know what is happening in the background. we are a League One club on a business plan irrespective of how massive the fans think we are, we can’t just click our fingers and every player that Warne wants comes running.

I always look forward to the start of the season… maybe some people should do the same! 

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Exactly,not investing properly in strikers over the last few years is one of the main reasons we are in the position we now find ourselves

As in 21/22 when we were only allowed to offer wages which weren't even half of what we can offer now, only 1 yesr deals, and could only sign 1 forward due to squad size restrictions. Marriott's extension for the 21/22 season was also revoked by the EFL.

Or 22/23, when we still had restrictions which limited to offering a maximum of approximately £10k per week and 2 year deals?(&9

6 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Offensive players are the most sought after one’s who also cost the most money, maybe we have a player or two lined up but the selling/loaning club are looking at a replacement first.

So many experts on here who don’t know what is happening in the background. we are a League One club on a business plan irrespective of how massive the fans think we are, we can’t just click our fingers and every player that Warne wants comes running.

I always look forward to the start of the season… maybe some people should do the same! 

What about offensive forum members 😏

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's definitely warranted it was a completely baseless and demonstrably wrong comment.  

You are bending over backwards (not from just this post, from all of your others) to slag off Warne and the recruitment team. We've signed a striker in Washington who will probably contribute some goals. The thing is that we are working under restrictions, and it is a tough market to sign any players let alone sought after attackers. 

If people really thought restrictions being **eased** as opposed to being lifted was a signal that we were going to throw silly money at things then they themselves are the fools here. We have a competitive budget. We've signed players like Bradley who are top players at this level, it can be both true that we have a competitive budget and that we aren't at liberty to throw money at attackers. 

The season hasn't begun. Why is it more likely we'll be challenging for playoffs? The general consensus from other clubs is that we are going to be competing for top 2. 

I’m happy to praise Warne and the recruitment team for their defensive signings. We have the best defence in the league in my opinion. I’m also pro Warne in comparison to some on here. But I’m not going to idly say nothing when it looks like it’s going to be a proper fight to get top 2 because we’ve failed to strengthen in the final third. 

All the pre season reviews have us top 2 out of ignorance in my opinion. I’ll happily eat my words if we do get top 2 with this squad. I’m also happy to admit that with 3 good signings I’d be full of confidence again. 

I think if funds are as tight as they appear to be then maybe expectations should’ve been tempered by the likes of DC, local media and Warne so everyone’s on the same hymn sheet.

49 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Irrespective of the arguments around budgets it is patently obvious that we need a younger quicker forward who can slot in and make things happen on the occasions when Warneball fails, as it will from time to time. If we do not find that type of player either via a transfer fee or loan then we are going to struggle to make a dent in the top six this coming season. None of us know what is happening on the recruitment front but it is concerning that we are 6 days away the start of the season without such an option in the squad. This should have been sorted much sooner than it has and that in my view reflects poorly on the club recruitment/coaching staff.

What I don't get is our budget 

I know we have been saved from going under , but now we are out of administration 

We've sold knight for 2 million our season ticket sales must be 20,000 plus (who else can compete with that ) so surely we must be in a better position than most others in this league on at least a wage budget, the players gone must have counter balanced most of the players in 

Just saying .....Warne said last season that he was looking at getting in players at their peak age, but were looking at Waghorn Rhodes Sharp mentioned . 

I personally think we are lighter than last season especially in the key areas of midfield and upfront , granted the defence is improved 

But I think midfield is the biggest weakness .. I wonder if we could tempt Jeff Hendrick back on loan I know he's not peak age but very expierienced ?? , just one big gamble just might give us the edge 

11 hours ago, PrideParkhead said:

It's pretty obvious Warne couldn't attract a moth to a light. We're the biggest team in this League but have been reduced to scrabbling about in the dirt for castoffs. Pathetic state of affairs 

Your comment is on course to be the one gaining the most laughing emojis reaction.....for all of the wrong reasons. Ridicule rather then being amusing.

Am assuming given the timing of your post that the half a pint of alcohol free lager you had at last orders tipped you over the edge. 

Young, quick, exciting forward who is going to rack up 20 goals.  We all want one of those but unless one comes out of nowhere (I really didnt rate Sturridge (thought Stallard was better) until 95-96), only the big boys can really pay what it takes. We aren't in that market, nor are we in the market to speculate on that youngster who may make it in a season or two (see Malcolm Christie) or may not (see Liam Dickenson).

Our best chance of getting that unknown exciting quantity therefore is through the loan system, and I reckon we are more likely to get the best of those once the Premier League squads of 25 have been decided. So we have time yet.

18 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We've got two strikers on the books with 90 goals and two promotions between them at this level. 

Adding waghorn or sharp or both to what we have,will not get us out of this league in my opinion.the longer we stay in this league the worse the clubs finances will get as crowds will dwindle,making promotion even harder

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As in 21/22 when we were only allowed to offer wages which weren't even half of what we can offer now, only 1 yesr deals, and could only sign 1 forward due to squad size restrictions. Marriott's extension for the 21/22 season was also revoked by the EFL.

Or 22/23, when we still had restrictions which limited to offering a maximum of approximately £10k per week and 2 year deals?(&9

Damage was done way before then

50 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think the criticism of @PrideParkheadis uncalled for. I think he maybe put his thoughts across a little bit harshly and we’ve signed enough proven players to dispel Warne having no pulling power. 

However our recruitment for improving our offensive output has been poor so far. Yet there’s posters who are seemingly bending over backwards to defend Warne and the recruitment team. 

If funds are that low then maybe Clowes shouldn’t have said that our budget was competitive and maybe should’ve down played how much we can spend. Also the champagne popping from local media when the restrictions were lifted wouldn’t have done much for people’s expectations. 

The fact that challenging for the play offs looks more likely than top 2 is slightly frustrating. 

I for one, was looking forward to getting out of this make a wish league this season.

The players we have signed are no more useful as evidence that Warne does have any particular pulling power than the lack of further signings evidence that he doesn't. It's just a complete non-issue in my mind anyway. Players go where it suits them, the manager will make A difference but not necessarily THE difference - I'm sure they're all aware that a manager at ANY club can have a short shelf life and they could be working under someone else within months.

Remember his own words about it being easy to get players to sign for Derby County, but more difficult to get the right ones.

I'm not sure if when people say 'challenging for the playoffs'  they mean that they see us hovering around 7th-12th for much of the season but hoping to finish strong and end up achieving a playoff spot, or they mean they see us comfortably sitting between 3rd and 6th for much of the season and hoping we don't fluff it at the end?

If it's the former I'd suggest that they either really don't have much faith in Warne's managerial abilities or they're massively exaggerating the quality of the squads of our competitors.

We've had Warne saying that we need to sacrifice on wages/numbers if we're to spend a fee and that will hold true for everyone to a degree - I've seen some hand-wringing that others (Charlton especially) have been spending money and bringing in this many or that many players, but in all likelihood any fees they've paid will mean that the players they've signed for free will be on lower wage packets than the ones we've signed for free. 

Our squad isn't perfect, but nobody in the league has a perfect squad. We're not blitzing the league through spending power like Ipswich last season but the players we have brought in (and some we've kept hold of) are all going to be drawing in a wage that the vast majority of teams can't afford. There's simply no way that out budget is 'weak' for the league even if we don't spend a transfer fee, if Clowes' says it's a budget that he thinks is good enough for a team to be promoted, it's hardly going to be on in the bottom half of the league. Likely top 6, 10th at worst otherwise those words would not have passed his lips IMO.

(not aimed at you Tom)

Come on, have a little faith in Warne! You simply don't appoint him and talk him up to the heavens in order to finish outside of the top 6, but it feels like some are already accepting and excusing failure as an outcome.

Edited by Kokosnuss

26 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He’s transformed the back 5 with real real quality. 

He’s struggled getting in the forwards he’d like and it sounds budgetary. We’re not a hard club to sell but money talks loudest? 

This

Just to add, This "Derby are a massive club" comment by some, Players will only come if the Money suits their demands, Club size has didley squat to do with persuading some to sign for us, We may be able to command 30k fans for home game, We may have superb training facilities at Moor Farm, We may have a great stadium for league1...but this counts for nothing if another club will offer more money.

DCFC have been under the cash cosh for a few years now, And yet we still have some posters who believe players would/should sign for us because of who we are...incredible 🫢

Look at the mercenaries who have taken the money in Saudi Arabian football, A state/Country where money does grow on trees, Player values count for nothing, Millionaires who want to fill their bank accounts with more money. 

As for "Warne not being able to attract a moth to a light bulb" maybe if Warne would/could be able to turn the lights on while being under a cash restraint would help in this matter...think about it.

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Pretty awful situation if your choices are either Waghorn or Billy Sharp. 

Actually it's Washington, Collins (starters) and maybe Waggy. I don't see Sharp coming here.

Given that we need another midfielder, a number 10 and a striker, if Waggy isn't too expensive then as a squad player, I can see the logic. 

I keep saying this - we're in League 1 chaps. Forget the olden days of over-paying - we're not that club anymore. When we 'attracted' big players it's 'cos we paid top, top dollar and it nearly killed us. We need players to get us out of League, that's all and Waggy on a one year isn't a bad option.

45 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think the criticism of @PrideParkheadis uncalled for. I think he maybe put his thoughts across a little bit harshly and we’ve signed enough proven players to dispel Warne having no pulling power. 

However our recruitment for improving our offensive output has been poor so far. Yet there’s posters who are seemingly bending over backwards to defend Warne and the recruitment team. 

If funds are that low then maybe Clowes shouldn’t have said that our budget was competitive and maybe should’ve down played how much we can spend. Also the champagne popping from local media when the restrictions were lifted wouldn’t have done much for people’s expectations. 

The fact that challenging for the play offs looks more likely than top 2 is slightly frustrating. 

I for one, was looking forward to getting out of this make a wish league this season.

You're conflating two points in your post.

You say on one hand that the recruitment for offensive players has been poor then you mention people irrationality defending Warne. The implication of this is clear which is you lay this at Warnes door.

But then you go on to say that Clowes shouldn't have said that our budget this season was competitive nothing to do with Warne. Then you say the local press shouldn't have been trumpeting the lifting of transfer restrictions nothing to do with Warne.

Consider for a moment that Clowes may be right and our budget is competitive? So we are competing against other teams who also are trying to pick up a proven goalscorer for next to nothing on sensible wages.

But because we haven't managed to achieve this so far then the issue clearly is Warnes pulling power as a manager. 

Just because we are competing doesn't then automatically mean we are going to steam roller the teams we are competing with. Clowes didn't say that. 

I'm all for people posting their opinions as it is a forum but it's a double edged sword, if folks don't like being called out on some of the items they comment on then maybe they should consider the import of what they post before they hit the Submit Reply button. 

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You're conflating two points in your post.

You say on one hand that the recruitment for offensive players has been poor then you mention people irrationality defending Warne. The implication of this is clear which is you lay this at Warnes door.

But then you go on to say that Clowes shouldn't have said that our budget this season was competitive nothing to do with Warne. Then you say the local press shouldn't have been trumpeting the lifting of transfer restrictions nothing to do with Warne.

Consider for a moment that Clowes may be right and our budget is competitive? So we are competing against other teams who also are trying to pick up a proven goalscorer for next to nothing on sensible wages.

But because we haven't managed to achieve this so far then the issue clearly is Warnes pulling power as a manager. 

Just because we are competing doesn't then automatically mean we are going to steam roller the teams we are competing with. Clowes didn't say that. 

I'm all for people posting their opinions as it is a forum but it's a double edged sword, if folks don't like being called out on some of the items they comment on then maybe they should consider the import of what they post before they hit the Submit Reply button. 

It isn’t going to be DC’s head or the local medias head who the fans will want out if the season goes belly up. Therefore I’m sticking the ultimate responsibility at PW door. 

During the time I listened to DC’s interview I had high hopes for a top 2 finish. I didn’t hear anything in his interview to calm these ambitions. Now the term competitive means we’re in the same boat as 10 other teams and if we lose out it’s tough luck. Plus most other teams haven’t lost a 20 goal striker (checks notes) to League 2 Notts County. I understand why McGoldrick left but it’s left us up poo creek.

I agree with live by the sword, die by the sword and whilst I don’t agree with all of the points made by the controversial post. I do think that he may have a slight point and shouldn’t be fed to the wolves for it.

Edited by TomTom92

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Why then do think the bookies have us clear favourites to win the league.

12 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Why then do think the bookies have us clear favourites to win the league.

Doesn’t mean anything, pretty sure Tim Sherwood to be our manager during the Mel years. 

I think a lot of people have us as favourites because we’re the biggest team in the league. But our forward line isn’t as good as last season where we finished 7th so I don’t see it unfortunately.