Summer Rumour Mill

sage

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What does the last part of your summary mean? Make a better go of recruitment next season? Or make a better go of the whole season?

Make a better go of recruitment when finances allow.

We have done really well strengthening the defence, but this will mean sod all if we don't score the goals needed to go up, which i dont believe we will currently.

If its true we were chasing after Jack Vale from Blackburn, someone who has scored 3 goals in 40 odd games, I'd suggest we are scraping the barrel and then some.

Mid table this season with a go at promotion next season I imagine.

6 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We have done really well strengthening the defence, but this will mean sod all if we don't score the goals needed to go up, which i dont believe we will currently.

If its true we were chasing after Jack Vale from Blackburn, someone who has scored 3 goals in 40 odd games, I'd suggest we are scraping the barrel and then some.

Just my view but I think you are wrong , we already have two strikers most div 1 clubs would be very happy with in Collins and Washington, add to that players that would walk into any div 1 side like Laing ,hourihane , cash, bird , barks then the fantastic recruitment at the back which includes wing backs who get forward and can hit a cross , I really don’t see mid table , I think you are hung up on seeing  names you believe will walk the division but really we are not that club and don’t have that owner and after the last few years thank god for that , I see a side that have the quality and management that will be right in the shake up 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

For those expecting/wanting a Clarke-Harris or Nombe I think this is Warne downplaying that expectation.
Also the ideal age bracket is seemingly being relaxed so that we can get someone in. It’s probably going to be Rhodes or someone of that ilk. An experienced striker who is less than the ideal choice but will still provide an option in the squad.

Striker as a priority, then a left sided wing back (maybe not convinced by Wilson on that side after all?) and if possible (loan?) a number 10.

Thomo can play LWB 

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"It has been evident that I want to play, ideally, with wing-backs. With Callum Elder being injured, Kane Wilson being down, and while Thommo has been excellent for me at left wing-back, he can't play 46 games there for me obviously.

"I think we could do with a bit more balance of bringing in another left-footed wing-back. If I can get a different one to Callum and a speedboat that's what I'll get.

"We need something up top and may be something more in the middle. Whether my budget will allow three excellent players, I am not so sure.

"It might just be two so it's what I need the most. I need a striker, but every club wants one. I still have players on my list that I am not sure who are going to improve us.

"I spoke to two Championship clubs this week and they're on their list. I am like he is on your list?! I went he's on my list and I am not sure he's good enough for us.

"It gets to the point where you don't want to be that guy, but you think something is better than nothing.

"There are two who I really like that I am trying to do. We can't sign the best strikers in League One currently because they are under contract and it will take big fees to get them out.

"So you're looking at players who have played at the Championship and while their age is not ideal but they will improve us. But the problem is and I would say 75 per cent of Champ clubs haven't got money for transfer fees so you're in the same shop as them.

"Hence why it's really difficult. There are three apples in the shop, but 30 clubs are chasing those three apples. That's where we are. Idealy I would get a nine, a 10 and another wing-back."

https://twitter.com/dcfc_live/status/1682833094267502592

I appreciate Warne’s honesty here. But, if I was a prospective new signing, I’m not sure I’d appreciate hearing that your potential new manager may not be convinced you’re good enough. 
It does point to Rhodes or someone similar. Not convinced he’ll be that good for us. I also would prioritise a 10 over a left wing back, unless Elder is crocked for a while.
We have to make use of the loan market. It’s key to any promotion. Time for Thomas et al to earn their crust. It’s not sounding overly promising if we’re so far down our striker list that Warne’s not convinced they’re good enough. Big few weeks ahead. Currently I don’t think we’re quite there. 

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thanks for clarifying. @Archied’s reply pretty much sums up my own thoughts. Whilst we do need one or two more options, I think there’s plenty in this squad to make a push for the top 6 and beyond. 
We’ll be solid at the back and have players capable of scoring at this level in Collins, Washington, NML, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Hourihane, Ward etc. 

51 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yes he can.

My comments are based on Paul Warne’s own words shared by @RoyMac5 earlier in this thread. Warne says he wants a left sided wing back as although Thommo can do the job it’s not ideal for him to be the back up option there for a long season. 

Where’s Sibley gonna fit in? 

If we’re going 352 then him and Barkhuizen look surplus to me. I acknowledge Barkhuizen can play up top but 3 strikers plus NML leaves no space for him.

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Where’s Sibley gonna fit in? 

If we’re going 352 then him and Barkhuizen look surplus to me. I acknowledge Barkhuizen can play up top but 3 strikers plus NML leaves no space for him.

It’s a squad game over a long season. Having options like Barkhuizen and Sibley in the squad provides Warne with options. 3-5-2 isn’t working? go 4-3-3 and use them two. 3-5-2 isn’t working? Use the 3-4-2-1 from the end of last season and play Sibley and A.N.Other as the two 10s.
Need an attacking midfielder driving forward in the 3-5-2? Sibley plays that role with 2 of Smith/Hourihane/Bird as the 2 other midfielders. 
Barkhuizen could be surplus or reduced to a squad/rotation option, Sibley I think has a big role to play. 

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Didn’t we just score 3 goals? 

Could it have been 5-0 with your perfect striker? 

If I’m Warne at this point from his comments, I’m getting a back up striker on a free and two loans for AM and LWB. We will compete and stay in the mix with what we have, then hope someone better becomes available to splash the budget In Jan. We’re still not financially In a position to be competing with championship teams and I think although we haven’t signed that standout striker we’ve done very good business both this summer and last to be able to compete.

9 hours ago, Srg said:

I think he made a key point  that there’s virtually no money changing hands, even in the league above.

What that has caused is a lot more teams in the running for every player because the absence of a fee makes that player more affordable. The knock on to that is that those players we would like which would improve us all now suddenly have a stack of Championship teams also after them.

Means whilst we are still attractive as a supposed big fish in a smaller pond, who may even be able to get close on wages with some deals, we still can’t offer a better level of football. 

Sure, I guess I'm just disappointed that we seem stuck in this market. Whilst not everything can be predicted, the financial situation in the champ is not a surprise, and yet Warne seems to be expressing exactly that.  What was our plan to deal with this difficult market? I.e. tap into other markets. We have recruited well, mostly proven at this level, but now we are stuck and some creativity is needed. It's difficult and riskier and it's unlikely anyone can generate a unique solution but everything we hear just points to us looking in the champ and LG 1 and its a bit stale.  Not panicking, just wondering what recruitment guy is bringing above warnes knowledge of the leagues. Early days on that  I guess and it will evolve, perhaps my expectations had been unrealistically raised.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Crikey. I wonder how much is our finances and how much is the limited business plan? Puts things in perspective as many thought we might be able to do 2 or 3 signings at that sort of price or even 1 bigger one. Always good to know where we are and adjust our expectations accordingly. Wish I'd known this in May!

1 minute ago, Andrew3000 said:

Crikey. I wonder how much is our finances and how much is the limited business plan? Puts things in perspective as many thought we might be able to do 2 or 3 signings at that sort of price or even 1 bigger one. Always good to know where we are and adjust our expectations accordingly. Wish I'd known this in May!

I just hope that the reluctance to do anything doesn’t hurt us in March and April when our old men run out of steam again. 

That’s seems to suggest we’re still crippled by the EFL restrictions but I guess next season that’s £2m we could spend. Just goes to show where we are because of MM. 

if that’s the case £300k then get Rhodes and say LWB and 10 with a loan fee. It’s not great but it’s what it is. 

seems to demonstrate why we didn’t go after Alfie May £300k would be all our budget