Summer Rumour Mill

sage

I think 2 million is a good fee for a player in the last year of his contract, whether the cast of Wilson, is the right player and after 4 months injury last season?

Any way the focus must remain on replacing knight with player like Josh Onomah, who I think could do well in League one.

Hourihane at 32 hes not going to look any faster in the coming season, plus he looked tired towards the end of the season.

I'm looking for players like these from last season, who created at least 11 assists ...

Leif Davis, Ipswich Town, 14

Barry Bannan, Sheffield Wednesday, 13

Aaron Collins, Bristol Rovers, 11

Wes Burns, Ipswich Town, 11

Then the next challenge, finding a striker who can score more than 15 goals in a season and remaining injury free (take a look at their historical injury records, plus the fact that they as older players are more likely to be injury prone) which I don't see collins or Washington doing.

For the striker I'd be happy with us signing sam smith.

2 hours ago, caymanram said:

Brannagan… apologies if I’ve missed this….: but is there a link to us actually being interested and/or ‘in’ for the player ?

There's a locked thread in the transfer section.

So as far as Forum gossip provenance goes, it's a done deal.....

....compared to the amount of ludicrous tut found elsewhere.....

49 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I think 2 million is a good fee for a player in the last year of his contract, whether the cast of Wilson, is the right player and after 4 months injury last season?

Any way the focus must remain on replacing knight with player like Josh Onomah, who I think could do well in League one.

Hourihane at 32 hes not going to look any faster in the coming season, plus he looked tired towards the end of the season.

I'm looking for players like these from last season, who created at least 11 assists ...

Leif Davis, Ipswich Town, 14

Barry Bannan, Sheffield Wednesday, 13

Aaron Collins, Bristol Rovers, 11

Wes Burns, Ipswich Town, 11

Then the next challenge, finding a striker who can score more than 15 goals in a season and remaining injury free (take a look at their historical injury records, plus the fact that they as older players are more likely to be injury prone) which I don't see collins or Washington doing.

For the striker I'd be happy with us signing sam smith.

I don’t think Hourihane looked tired I actually thought his work rate improved as the season went on and he was covering more of the pitch certainly defensively 

To me it looked like Hourihane was given orders to give his all for 65-70 mins then he’d come off and think that might happen this season also 

Edited by S8TY

What a difference a week makes.

Defence is sorted and for me the best in the league, Warne looks to have his additional wing back, so all we require is 3/4 players.

Personally i'd like to see 4 consisting of striker, x2 attacking wingers/forwards and a central midfielder to replace Knight. The only thing i would say is if we got 4 in then Sibley could become the spare man. However, I'm not sure i'd trust NML, Sibley, Barkhuizen and one other to be good enough to get us autos. I think 2 fresh faces would really inject some new life in to the final third.

All eyes on who we do bring in now, as i think the next 3/4 signings will determine whether we're solid for the play offs or a genuine title contender. 

28 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Sibley could become the spare man

It's possible that he's seen as the 2nd LWB, having had that run of games at LB last season.

Ward/Wilson for the right side, with Ward able to play a more advanced role if/when required.

Elder/Sibley for the left side, with Sibley able to play a more advanced role if/when required.

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It's possible that he's seen as the 2nd LWB, having had that run of games at LB last season.

Ward/Wilson for the right side, with Ward able to play a more advanced role if/when required.

Elder/Sibley for the left side, with Sibley able to play a more advanced role if/when required.

If we're playing with the formation we did on Saturday, and have no reason to believe we won't at this point, Sibley will be far more useful than Barkhuizen. Don't disagree him and/or Forsyth will be used as LWB cover though.

Using the money from Knights sale, has to be an out and out goal scorer. Don't care about age, don't care if he's got a beard, we just need guaranteed goals. Sam Nombe for me is the perfect balance of guaranteed goals at this level and potential to grow into really good option in the championship striker too.

Defence is spot on (if we get Wilson in too)

We NEED to let Sibley play in the pockets of attack. No good sticking him at LWB when his actual qualities are creating and getting goals, something we are short of.

After being happy with the signings so far, I'm looking forward to see how this pans out 👀👀

I’d still like one more CB. Ideally a younger player who can feature without being a regular, but with a view of being a regular starter in a season or two.

I’ve had a bit of a look at free transfers and can’t actually see anyone that would fit the bill at our level, so that might be hard to do. I don’t see the need to spend a fee on a player like that, and don’t think we’d loan a player as cover either.

We have four CBs for 3 positions, and if Kane Wilson joins, then three WBs for 2 positions. We could probably get away with that, but it just takes one injury at CB and we’re struggling then. Whether Warne rates any of the younger players enough, I don’t know, but I think we are just one defender short in the middle.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’d still like one more CB. Ideally a younger player who can feature without being a regular, but with a view of being a regular starter in a season or two.

I’ve had a bit of a look at free transfers and can’t actually see anyone that would fit the bill at our level, so that might be hard to do. I don’t see the need to spend a fee on a player like that, and don’t think we’d loan a player as cover either.

We have four CBs for 3 positions, and if Kane Wilson joins, then three WBs for 2 positions. We could probably get away with that, but it just takes one injury at CB and we’re struggling then. Whether Warne rates any of the younger players enough, I don’t know, but I think we are just one defender short in the middle.

Jake Rooney? Or the lad we just added from Palace’s academy? 
One player who is on a free having left Man United’s academy is Di’shon Bernard. Whether we’d compete for him or not is a different question. He spent time on loan at Pompey last season so might be willing to drop to league one, but likely to have other offers and maybe guaranteed starts. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added thoughts on Bernard.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Ideally we're 1 short unless we can confidently stick Rooney in for a run of games. But Warne seems happy from previous interviews so maybe he's not a fan of having established pros sat out of the squad twiddling their thumbs.

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

One player who is on a free having left Man United’s academy is Di’shon Bernard. Whether we’d compete for him or not is a different question. He spent time on loan at Pompey last season so might be willing to drop to league one, but likely to have other offers and maybe guaranteed starts. 

I agree with Bernard, currently away with Jamaica national team in the gold cup. 

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah Rooney and the lad from Palace would be the obvious stand-ins, but one has just come back from a serious injury, and if we replaced Bradley with Rooney for a run of games then that completely changed the dynamic of our back line as all of a sudden we’d look very lightweight.

Rooney seems more of a utility player, who will be great for the squad, I just worry that we may risk things too much if he’s given that kind of responsibility for a large part of the season.

18 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Wilson can play wing back on the left and the right, so that move makes a lot of sense.

I would have preferred him over Ward at the beginning of the window if I’m honest. Really talented young player who has been unlucky with injuries at Bristol. Also the sort of player we will certainly sell for a much higher fee. In fact, I’d wager we’ll end up selling Wilson for more than we’ve sold Knight for.

17 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wilson can play wing back on the left and the right, so that move makes a lot of sense.

I would have preferred him over Ward at the beginning of the window if I’m honest. Really talented young player who has been unlucky with injuries at Bristol. Also the sort of player we will certainly sell for a much higher fee. In fact, I’d wager we’ll end up selling Wilson for more than we’ve sold Knight for.

I’ve seen that mentioned but couldn’t see any real record of him playing LWB. I thought if we had 5 CBs, with two able to cover WB if desperate then that would be ok.

Forsyth covers CB & LWB. Someone like Wes Harding would cover CB & RWB. With Wilson, we wouldn’t really need any additional RWB depth, so another CB would still be needed.

If Wilson can indeed play both well, then it gives us the option to keep Forsyth at CB, or use Sibley at LWB instead, so that may be enough.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I’ve seen that mentioned but couldn’t see any real record of him playing LWB. I thought if we had 5 CBs, with two able to cover WB if desperate then that would be ok.

Forsyth covers CB & LWB. Someone like Wes Harding would cover CB & RWB. With Wilson, we wouldn’t really need any additional RWB depth, so another CB would still be needed.

If Wilson can indeed play both well, then it gives us the option to keep Forsyth at CB, or use Sibley at LWB instead, so that may be enough.

Sibley at LWB is a square peg round hole scenario that we should be trying to avoid. He can play there in an emergancy but he deserves to play in 1 of the 2 attacking positions behind the striker. He scores goals at both league 1 and champ level when played in the right position, and its clearly his favoured position too. 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Played for Jamaica in their Gold Cup win against NMLs Guatemala last night. Along with Joel Latibeaudiere who I think some people suggested would be a good fit for us as well.