Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

I'm getting fed up with Paul Warne feeding us crumbs about what may or may not happen in the transfer market. It's getting very boring and tedious.

Cloughie rarely gave anything away until he announced the signing of John O'Hare, Roy McFarland, Alan Hinton, Dave Mackay, Willie Carlin, Terry Hennessey, Archie Gemmill, Colin Todd, David Nish et al. When the announcement came it was just exciting and breathtaking and we didn't have to suffer the mental torture that we are going through at the moment. It's tedious. If he could just take a leaf out of the master's book, if he wanted Waggy so badly, he'd have gone round to his house last night, sold the deal to Mrs. Waghorn, slept in their spare room, got her to cook him breakfast and then signed her husband so they could  get him out of their house and most of us would be happy today.

Just keep things close to your chest Paul and simply break the news to us when you've done the deal. All of our lives would then be so much simpler.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

1 minute ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I'm getting fed up with Paul Warne feeding us crumbs about what may or may not happen in the transfer market. It's getting very boring and tedious.

Cloughie rarely gave anything away until he announced the signing of John O'Hare, Roy McFarland, Alan Hinton, Dave Mackay, Willie Carlin, Terry Hennessey, Archie Gemmill, Colin Todd, David Nish et al. When the announcement came it was just exciting and breathtaking and we didn't have to suffer the mental torture that we are going through at the moment. It's tedious. If he could just take a leaf out of the master's book, if he wanted Waggy so badly, he'd have gone round to his house last night, sold the deal to Mrs. Waghorn, slept in their spare room, got her to cook him breakfast and then signed her husband so they could  get him out of their house and most of us would be happy today.

Just keep things close to your chest Paul and simply break the news to us when you've done the deal. All of our lives would then be so much simpler.

But then people would moan we're not even trying for players, its too quiet, no communication from the club etc etc

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

But then people would moan we're not even trying for players, its too quiet, no communication from the club etc etc

Not me. I don't want communication until they've got something positive to tell me instead of a load of maybes that really tell us nothing.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

3 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Different world now 24/7 coverage, social media, fans forum etc means there is a constant need for news. Saying nothing doesn't work and only fuels the flames.

11 minutes ago, Gladram said:

Different world now 24/7 coverage, social media, fans forum etc means there is a constant need for news. Saying nothing doesn't work and only fuels the flames.

Social media was up and running when Alex Ferguson was ruling his roost. Did he give a toss about feeding it? Of course he didn't; he kept his cards close to his chest and that's why he was so successful. The best managers control the media and they still do.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

21 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

If only the media would stop asking...

1 minute ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Social media was up and running when Alex Ferguson was ruling his roost. Did he give a toss about feeding it? Of course he didn't; he kept his cards close to his chest and that's why he was so successful. 

It's grown bigger since. Instant news is what people expect. Every time they scroll they expect to see something new. It's either real news from the club or made up, they don't care, they just want news.

To have some sort of control clubs need to give out some news.

22 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

He will get asked 'We look short up front and haven't replaced McGoldrick...are there plans to replace him as most fans think we need to...'

He can a) say 'I don't want to talk about that'..

Or b) do what he has done and say things like ...'I agree we could do with a replacement/strengthening and we have made enquiries/ hope to hear/ are waiting for the chain to commence but there are issues with ..etc.

I'd prefer b). I'd guess the vast bulk of the fanbase would too.

Criticising him for honestly answering questions we all want answers to, is a weird complaint for me that proves you just can't please everyone.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If only the media would stop asking...

But you don't have to answer them all the time Roy; just when you want to and because it suits you.

3 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

But you don't have to answer them all the time Roy; just when you want to and because it suits you.

Oh come on, have you heard the media when you don't answer them? They don't let go.

My reply to you 'don't listen'! 😄😉 #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

He can't win. 

If he says nothing and refuses to answer questions on it half the fanbase wet themselves because they wrongly assume nothing is happening. When he answers questions without giving everything away he should have played things closer to his chest or he gets hammered if things change and deals don't get done.

39 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He can't win. 

If he says nothing and refuses to answer questions on it half the fanbase wet themselves because they wrongly assume nothing is happening. When he answers questions without giving everything away he should have played things closer to his chest or he gets hammered if things change and deals don't get done.

Your first sentence implies that half of the fanbase are of limited intelligence with an incontinence problem, which I hope is well wide of the truth 😉.

In your next sentence you talk about him answering questions without giving everything away; I am not seeing that because it seems he just can't stop talking and we get to hear everything he can tell us. As for your observation about him playing things closer to his chest, he just doesn't do that. He spells out clear and loud his thought processes and what he thinks. Liam Rosenior has alluded to that today in his media statement where he said that he respects Paul Warne but he disagrees with him revealing details of the ongoing discussions about Max Bird to the media; Rosenior said that is not his own style and he will not get involved with it. I wonder what Max Bird thinks? I wonder what the other players think - are they allowed any privacy anymore?

I like Warne on the whole and I hope he takes us up but I seriously think that he needs to take a deep breath and consider if he should wind  his neck in a bit and show a bit more discretion. At the moment he seems a bit like a goldfish who loves the world looking in on him and listening to him. I don't think it's helping him but if it satisfies the majority who have an unquenchable thirst for information, whether it's reliable or not, so be it.

13 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Your first sentence implies that half of the fanbase are of limited intelligence with an incontinence problem, which I hope is well wide of the truth 😉.

In your next sentence you talk about him answering questions without giving everything away; I am not seeing that because it seems he just can't stop talking and we get to hear everything he can tell us. As for your observation about him playing things closer to his chest, he just doesn't do that. He spells out clear and loud his thought processes and what he thinks. Liam Rosenior has alluded to that today in his media statement where he said that he respects Paul Warne but he disagrees with him revealing details of the ongoing discussions about Max Bird to the media; Rosenior said that is not his own style and he will not get involved with it. I wonder what Max Bird thinks? I wonder what the other players think - are they allowed any privacy anymore?

I like Warne on the whole and I hope he takes us up but I seriously think that he needs to take a deep breath and consider if he should wind  his neck in a bit and show a bit more discretion. At the moment he seems a bit like a goldfish who loves the world looking in on him and listening to him. I don't think it's helping him but if it satisfies the majority who have an unquenchable thirst for information, whether it's reliable or not, so be it.

Time for bed 🙂 

12 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

That’s a bit unfair.  Waghorn played in Fozzies testimonial and it was widely reported he was training with us - not easy for Warne to keep that quiet therefore he answered direct questions honestly.  Apart from media leaks and speculation I think the club have kept things pretty quiet for most signings so far, particularly Vickers, Elder, Ward, Wilson, Nelson, Washington……… oh yeah, most of them really

12 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Wow some fans

mother complain GIF

14 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

The youngsters of today don't know they're born ....Facebook,  Tw#tter and the multitude of other social media outlets ,  bring back the good old days of " We're not signing Colin Todd. We can't afford him !" , then seeing the.Newspaper headlines on holiday in Dorset as we break the British transfer record .......those were the days !  .....sighs and wipes a tear from his cheek 

18 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

The youngsters of today don't know they're born ....Facebook,  Tw#tter and the multitude of other social media outlets ,  bring back the good old days of " We're not signing Colin Todd. We can't afford him !" , then seeing the.Newspaper headlines on holiday in Dorset as we break the British transfer record .......those were the days !  .....sighs and wipes a tear from his cheek 

Nice one Frank. Good to see that social media has not destroyed everyone's sense of humour 😂. COYR