Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

6 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Not sure why people are banging on about Lewis Wing. Apart from a decent spell at Wycombe last season the rest of his career is very ordinary looking at Wiki for a 28 year old . Not rated by Boro and Wednesday fans , I’ve probably only seen him play a couple of times and not really noticed him. 
Could be a late developer and L1 is his level but nothing he has done so far suggests he will be a game changer for whoever he signs for . 
Obviously only my opinion and he might crack in 20 goals from midfield. 😁

28? I thought he was a youngster from the way everyone was so keen. Never heard of him either (along with all of our other signings) just can't get into this League 1 thing!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

28? I thought he was a youngster from the way everyone was so keen. Never heard of him either (along with all of our other signings) just can't get into this League 1 thing!

That sounds like our recruitment strategy from the past 10 years

9 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Agree. I moved from Derby ( born and bred) 40 years ago and in the occasional times I return, I feel so sad to see the state of the city. Looks really run down. And as for the beautiful Friargate bridge, don’t get me started. I can understand why footballers would be put off.

Show them the county. We're Derby county....

Obviously not the dreadful bits.....

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Would any of these improve the squad: Olamide Shodipo, Jordan Graham, Josh Onomah, Tom Rogic, Kean Bryan, Morgan Fox, Sean Maguire, Fankaty Dabo, Taylor Moore

What do you think? Do you have an opinion? What are their strengths and weaknesses?

Or you gonna keep spamming?

3 hours ago, Oldben said:

Would any of these improve the squad: Olamide Shodipo, Jordan Graham, Josh Onomah, Tom Rogic, Kean Bryan, Morgan Fox, Sean Maguire, Fankaty Dabo, Taylor Moore

Id take Kean Bryan & Sean Maguire

Really starting to hope we're looking more at the loan market as the free agents/deals where we could get players on a free aren't exciting me at all!

@Ghost of Clough's Andy Moran suggestion would be great! Wouldn't be surprised if he went to somewhere like Hull instead though. Another Brighton prospect, Cameron Peupion, would be worth a shout for the attacking mid role too... had a solid season in their U21s last season.

Centre forwards that also did well last season at that level include Divin Mubama (West Ham), and Mateo Joseph and Sonny Perkins (both Leeds). Would also suggest Harry Leonard (Blackburn), however he may be on the verge of their 1st team next season at this rate.

I watch a lot of academy football before anyone asks if I've seen them play or not! 🤣

With Warne stating he would like 3 players (LWB, CM/AM, and CF):

LWB - Tough position to fill as most LWB options are right sided players who can fill in on the left (Steven Sessegnon, Henry Lawrence, etc). Maybe Juan Castillo who was once a very promising wing back at Chelsea. Seems to have lost his way a bit though. In terms of loan options, there's James Norris who got 1 goal and 7 assists for Liverpool U21s last season (1 per 170 mins) and Brighton's Imari Samuels who got 1 goal and 5 assists (1 per 233 mins).

CF - it seems Warne wants an older player to fill in as 3rd choice, such as Rhodes or Godden. I'd still prefer us to go for Aaron Pressley who Brentford will let go on a free (with sell-on %). Only 21, scored 8 and assisted 1 for Accrington in 27 games (1 per 226 mins). He's a monster in the air, so will thrive off our set pieces and open play crosses.

CM - Cameron McGeehan, once a very promising AM, who scored double figures in consecutive seasons when on loan at Luton, but has turned into more of a hard working midfielder since. Wouldn't be a bad backup option. Dennis Adeniran could be an option too. Used to being a backup player in recent seasons (just released by Sheff Weds) but still has a very good minutes per goal contribution record. Very unlikely to improve on Smith, Hourihane and Bird unless we sign someone on loan (Andrew Moran, Luke Harris), unless we opt to play Bird in the deeper role again.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

With Warne stating he would like 3 players (LWB, CM/AM, and CF):

LWB - Tough position to fill as most LWB options are right sided players who can fill in on the left (Steven Sessegnon, Henry Lawrence, etc). Maybe Juan Castillo who was once a very promising wing back at Chelsea. Seems to have lost his way a bit though. In terms of loan options, there's James Norris who got 1 goal and 7 assists for Liverpool U21s last season (1 per 170 mins) and Brighton's Imari Samuels who got 1 goal and 5 assists (1 per 233 mins).

CF - it seems Warne wants an older player to fill in as 3rd choice, such as Rhodes or Godden. I'd still prefer us to go for Aaron Pressley who Brentford will let go on a free (with sell-on %). Only 21, scored 8 and assisted 1 for Accrington in 27 games (1 per 226 mins). He's a monster in the air, so will thrive off our set pieces and open play crosses.

CM - Cameron McGeehan, once a very promising AM, who scored double figures in consecutive seasons when on loan at Luton, but has turned into more of a hard working midfielder since. Wouldn't be a bad backup option. Dennis Adeniran could be an option too. Used to being a backup player in recent seasons (just released by Sheff Weds) but still has a very good minutes per goal contribution record. Very unlikely to improve on Smith, Hourihane and Bird unless we sign someone on loan (Andrew Moran, Luke Harris), unless we opt to play Bird in the deeper role again.

Sounds like the midfielder will be more of an AM than CM from what he said. LWB will be tough because whoever it is will be second choice, in theory, to Elder. Rather it not be a loan for that, and it’s hard to loan players with little guarantee of football to boot. 

Shame we are going down the old person route for striker. Just praying Brown really flourishes and is given a chance to.