Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Apparently, we also competing against Wrexham on some signings. They're offering very high wages for lg1 and there's the added 'attraction' of the Hollywood connection.

Maybe I am biased, but even where we are, even competing with film stars. ….. come on ! Wages, future are all part of a players decision but from my perspective .. 1) Wrexham, 2) Charlton 3) Derby ?

1) Bigger sheep shaggers than us, but do you really want to do it quite that much. ? Do you also want to be influenced by ex pat scousers with caravans in Rhyl  ? Then you realise that North Wales has always been a hot bed of nationalism .. are you a son of Owen Glendower or a servile English import who’s home we might want to sequest.

2) Charlton ? Suburban team famous for Derek Hales and not much else, and for crying out loud they have red shirts !

3) The mighty Rams .. Of Clough, MacFarland, and Bloomer, of Kevin the king, of Rolls Royce that gives the city wings and 25,000 every week. We are potential and history in the making. We might never be a Man United or Arsenal but .. really ? In archaic automotive terms ….. 

Wrexham = Dodgy TVR made of fibre glass parts raided from so many bins, all joined by an iffy crankshaft with inadequate bearings 

Charlton =Sierra 1.8L with Chrome wing mirrors and a dog guard. Very sensible but bat poo boring.  

Derby = R/S 2000 with twin Webbers, Koni dampers, Brembo callipers a roll cage and more ronseal than you can dream of. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

League 2 aren’t they 🤔

Correct, but there's a lot of hype surrounding their club atm and they'll probably be offering more money than Derby. Charlton are his boyhood team, so that's why they fancy their chances.

However, we are Derby, a much better prospect and quite importantly, closer to his Doncaster home, which will make his life more comfortable.

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Correct, but there's a lot of hype surrounding their club atm and they'll probably be offering more money than Derby. Charlton are his boyhood team, so that's why they fancy their chances.

However, we are Derby, a much better prospect and quite importantly, closer to his Doncaster home, which will make his life more comfortable.

I would be surprised if they can compete now with us in terms of wages…

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

They are not offering more than derby. They offer more than their league and some league one, we are a much bigger club with much bigger revenues, they can't offer what we can. Ryan Reynolds wealth doesn't mean that much the more you go up in the leagues .

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

They are not offering more than derby. They offer more than their league and some league one, we are a much bigger club with much bigger revenues, they can't offer what we can. Ryan Reynolds wealth doesn't mean that much the more you go up in the leagues .

Don't entirely disagree, but setting aside his considerable earnings as a Hollywood lovey, Reynolds sold his gin company, Aviation Gin, for $610 million to European alcohol company, Diageo in 2020. Add to that his share of the £1.3 Billion deal for Mint Mobile and he'd probably have a higher net worth than then the Clowes family. Based on that, I'm not sure Reynolds and Wrexham would be feeling they pinch until they reach the Championship. That said, I agree that they won't be offering more than Derby and any player who chooses Wrexham over the Mighty Rams is clearly a congenital idiot anyway and best avoided.

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Don't entirely disagree, but setting aside his considerable earnings as a Hollywood lovey, Reynolds sold his gin company, Aviation Gin, for $610 million to European alcohol company, Diageo in 2020. Add to that his share of the £1.3 Billion deal for Mint Mobile and he'd probably have a higher net worth than then the Clowes family. Based on that, I'm not sure Reynolds and Wrexham would be feeling they pinch until they reach the Championship. That said, I agree that they won't be offering more than Derby and any player who chooses Wrexham over the Mighty Rams is clearly a congenital idiot anyway and best avoided.

Yeah, I'm sure Ryan might have more than Clowes. Thing is that Wrexham will never be a club the size of Derby, with a capacity of just over 10,000 they will struggle to generate what Derby does in income. Derby can reasonably offer much more than Wrexham feeling a lot less of a pinch due to our much larger attendances and probably sponsorship deals. Not overly worried by Wrexham, like you say it would take an idiot to pick Wrexham over a club the size of Derby so if he opted that way he wouldn't be a good fit anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, I'm sure Ryan might have more than Clowes. Thing is that Wrexham will never be a club the size of Derby, with a capacity of just over 10,000 they will struggle to generate what Derby does in income. Derby can reasonably offer much more than Wrexham feeling a lot less of a pinch due to our much larger attendances and probably sponsorship deals. Not overly worried by Wrexham, like you say it would take an idiot to pick Wrexham over a club the size of Derby so if he opted that way he wouldn't be a good fit anyway. 

Spot on. Least I hope so! Honestly, they have a deal of financial clout (and perhaps I'm biased), but I don't see Charlton competing, let alone Wrexham. That said, I do think the latter might buy their way to the Championship. 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Lg 1 and 2 clubs are restricted to players' wages coming to no more than 60% of the clubs' incomes. However, in addition to this clubs can spend 100% of 'Football Fortune Income' also. 1 element of this 'Football Fortune Income' is whereby money is effectively gifted to a club. As you have pointed out Wrexham's owners have far more money and are willing to throw more at their club, compared with DC's sensible approach. There will be players tempted by the money they're offering and the 'journey' they're going on. The bookies seem to agree, as they're all offering odds-on that they get promoted.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Lg 1 and 2 clubs are restricted to players' wages coming to no more than 60% of the clubs' incomes. However, in addition to this clubs can spend 100% of 'Football Fortune Income' also. 1 element of this 'Football Fortune Income' is whereby money is effectively gifted to a club. As you have pointed out Wrexham's owners have far more money and are willing to throw more at their club, compared with DC's sensible approach. There will be players tempted by the money they're offering and the 'journey' they're going on. The bookies seem to agree, as they're all offering odds-on that they get promoted.

Do you think Wrexham’s Football Fortune Income will be high enough to make much difference to any wages they are able to offer for say a 3 year contract?

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you think Wrexham’s Football Fortune Income will be high enough to make much difference to any wages they are able to offer for say a 3 year contract?

It could easily be high enough. A 3 year contract on a stupid 20k per week would cost them £3m, which they could put in without blinking. No way would we consider anything approaching that kind of figure.

So, yes they could easily afford to outbid us, whether they are willing to pay that kind of money, is a different proposition. But they have not been shy splashing the cash, up to now.

31 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It could easily be high enough. A 3 year contract on a stupid 20k per week would cost them £3m, which they could put in without blinking. No way would we consider anything approaching that kind of figure.

So, yes they could easily afford to outbid us, whether they are willing to pay that kind of money, is a different proposition. But they have not been shy splashing the cash, up to now.

Correct me if I’m wrong (it’s quite likely) but I thought owners injecting funds was included in revenue not Football Fortune Income. Isn’t FFI just prize money and net transfer revenue?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Correct me if I’m wrong (it’s quite likely) but I thought owners injecting funds was included in revenue not Football Fortune Income. Isn’t FFI just prize money and net transfer revenue?

There’s a lot more rules now they’re in the football league than there was. They’ll still have one of the biggest budgets at that level, but they can’t just go daft unless obviously they get it right and get back to back promotions. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

They can make donations to cover players' salaries, which have to be actually paid to the club without interest or need to be repaid.

This is quite sensible in my opinion, if a rich owner wants his team to progress, he should be able to supply funds to enable that, providing that the club's financial stability is not affected. In theory these ffp rules allow a small club with a rich owner to compete safely with a 'big' club like Derby, at this level. Derby's 60% salary cap on income will be considerably more than Burton's, but it's only right that Burtons' owner is able to put funds into the club, in order to make up the difference, as long as it doesn't affect the financial stability of the club.

Despite MM's promises, Derby weren't debt free, as we now know to our cost. Although, he wrote off many tens of millions, the club still went into administration. Perhaps, if these had been in place in the championship, we may not have ended up in the mess that did.