Not built to last

sage

2 hours ago, sage said:

Bought a LG TV for £425 last year.

It's now just switching itself on and off every 2 seconds. 

12 month guarantee. Died after 1 year and 42 days. 

Shower of poo

Don't forget that there is a statutory right under the Consumer Rights Act that guarantees against it breaking down during the life expectancy of that product. Contact the retailer you bought it from. As long as it's not been misused then you will be covered under this act!

6 minutes ago, DJAY said:

Don't forget that there is a statutory right under the Consumer Rights Act that guarantees against it breaking down during the life expectancy of that product. Contact the retailer you bought it from. As long as it's not been misused then you will be covered under this act!

As it happens  to my immense surprise, I've managed to fix it.

I will bear that in mind if it goes again though.

3 hours ago, sage said:

Bought a LG TV for £425 last year.

It's now just switching itself on and off every 2 seconds. 

12 month guarantee. Died after 1 year and 42 days. 

Shower of poo

41 minutes ago, sage said:

As it happens  to my immense surprise, I've managed to fix it.

I will bear that in mind if it goes again though.

Did you just stop blinking?

I bought one of the original LG OLED TVs for about £2200 a few years back. I paid the £6 monthly for "anything/whatever happens" to Currys.

After 2 years, the yellow Sky Sport banner had burnt into the screen, so I took it in to be repaired. When they hadn't repaired it within 10 days, I demanded a new TV, and they gave me a voucher for the equivalent TV (about £1400 by this time), I added £100 and bought a Sony Bravia OLED, cracking TV. I still pay the "anything/whatever happens" in case something goes wrong with this, and it did reboot every now and then, but there was a setting I changed and it's resolved now. 

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I bought one of the original LG OLED TVs for about £2200 a few years back. I paid the £6 monthly for "anything/whatever happens" to Currys.

After 2 years, the yellow Sky Sport banner had burnt into the screen, so I took it in to be repaired. When they hadn't repaired it within 10 days, I demanded a new TV, and they gave me a voucher for the equivalent TV (about £1400 by this time), I added £100 and bought a Sony Bravia OLED, cracking TV. I still pay the "anything/whatever happens" in case something goes wrong with this, and it did reboot every now and then, but there was a setting I changed and it's resolved now. 

Many years ago, my wife & I went to Comet to buy a compact HiFi - when we went up to the counter to place our order, the staff member started really pressing us to take out the extended warranty 'insurance' - I told him we didn't want it (it wasn't an expensive purchase anyway) - unfortunately his desire to get his commission on the warranty prompted him to pull out an absolutely huge folder from under the desk and exclaim "Just look how many claims we've had on things we sell" - to which I replied (in a very loud voice in front of a lot of people queing behind us) "So you're telling me the stuff you sell is crap?" - he couldn't put the folder away quickly enough....we didn't go through with the purchase....

Maybe we've just been lucky but our appliances are doing a sterling job.

Main TV (Sony) - 9 Years

Bedroom TV (Toshiba) - 15 years

Fridge & Washing Machine (BEKO) - 9 years each

Dishwasher (Bosch) - 9 years

Tumble Dryer (BEKO) - 8 years

Must have saved a few quid on extended warranties that I've always refused.

Of course I also realise that nothing is going to work when I get home tonight.

14 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Many years ago, my wife & I went to Comet to buy a compact HiFi - when we went up to the counter to place our order, the staff member started really pressing us to take out the extended warranty 'insurance' - I told him we didn't want it (it wasn't an expensive purchase anyway) - unfortunately his desire to get his commission on the warranty prompted him to pull out an absolutely huge folder from under the desk and exclaim "Just look how many claims we've had on things we sell" - to which I replied (in a very loud voice in front of a lot of people queing behind us) "So you're telling me the stuff you sell is crap?" - he couldn't put the folder away quickly enough....we didn't go through with the purchase....

It's when you get asked about extended warranties when buying something for a tenner from Argos. You can see the embarrassment from the poor staff, who are presumably contractually obliged to do so.

18 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

A bit off topic but similar as the salesman, Toyota on Pride Park, The wife(Ex)wanted a Toyota Aygo, So we went and got an ex display, Salesman gets us to sit down then starts his patter, 5 mins later he pulls out a loan agreement, I asked him what's that for, He said when you borrow money for a car we have to see if you have the funds to pay, I lifted up my rucksack unzipped it and poured £8k onto the table, I don't do loans I said, He stormed off and another fella came, We bought the car and mooched off, When walking out of the showroom the salesman had a look of thunder on his face, I winked at him and smiled...all that commission he lost or didn't lose 😁 

19 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

My Bravia does that.  What did you change??

40 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

My Bravia does that.  What did you change??

I cannot remember now, something to do with the power through, ie. When I turn my SkyQ on, it turns on automatically. I googled it.

EDIT: Might've been to do with a sensor that turns it off cos it thinks you're not there.

Edited by Mostyn6

My Sonos Roam has just died, a week before the complimentary extended 2 year warranty runs out. 

Took it back to John Lewis, who just swapped it for a new one no questions asked, and again gave us a new 2 year warranty free of charge. 

No wonder they don't make any money!