Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

Just watched the penalty incident…. What a terrible decision

However there have been far too many games where we have underperformed and as hard it is to swallow this match going against us and Peterborough winning we have been terrible 

Only McGoldrick and Wildsmith I believe can say they did well for us with any consistency 

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Sheffield were there to be had today.

We can only blame ourselves. We are one of the best teams at creating chances in the league and one of the worst at converting them. 

Blame refs and the EFL if you want. Come up with an imaginary conspiracy theory if it helps.

This was our own fault. Nobody elses.

I would normally agree with you but today we were very definitely cheated by that p**** of a ref. Never a pen and therefore never a red. 

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Disappointing to not make playoffs after that amazing run we were on in the middle of the season, when it looked like we could challenge for autos.  Our small squad with some older players ran out if steam. Still, a decent effort after where we were 12 months ago.

Weds deserve to go up after getting so many point for 3rd.

With a broke Wigan and Reading coming down, you'd hope we'd be a main challenger for Autos next season.

A common sense post. Let’s give Warne a full pre season and some signings and see where that takes us.

8 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Doubt it. Can't see him, Bird and Knight staying in L1 again.

Knighty will be gone... full Ireland international with over 150 first team appearances at his age. He'll have Championship teams wanting him. Bird has been solid but hasn't particularly stood out... think we'll see him in a Derby shirt again next season.

1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

Apart from their keeper making 3 outstanding saves and two superb interceptions of crosses. Wildsmith had one shot on target and one penalty to save. It was Wednesday who were poor in front of goal.

I'm on about the entire season. We have been one of the most wasteful teams in the league. Today would have been a dead rubber if we were more clinical as a team over the season. 

That is our biggest problem. Not refs.

1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

Apart from their keeper making 3 outstanding saves and two superb interceptions of crosses. Wildsmith had one shot on target and one penalty to save. It was Wednesday who were poor in front of goal.

I can't remember all of them but 2 were from pretty decent McGoldrick long(ish)-range shots. 

We certainly didn't miss any sitters today but just little things like the Collins header back across goal (which wasn't terrible) and the fact that Smith (obviously not a natural goalscorer) was up there but not on the same wavelength... it's harsh to blame either but it's an example of how we don't quite click as often as we could/should in attack.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Disappointing to not make playoffs after that amazing run we were on in the middle of the season, when it looked like we could challenge for autos.  Our small squad with some older players ran out if steam. Still, a decent effort after where we were 12 months ago.

Weds deserve to go up after getting so many point for 3rd.

With a broke Wigan and Reading coming down, you'd hope we'd be a main challenger for Autos next season.

My thoughts entirely. We haven't looked quite good enough over the course of the season, particularly in converting chances. A stab at the play-offs is always worthwhile, but the upside of this is we know what division we'll be in now and I hope our recruitment guy is getting things moving already.

The ref? Well it's par for the course in this league if you're DCFC. Next season we'll just have to make sure they can't rob us of so many points with clearly incompetent officiating.

Edited by Crewton

3 minutes ago, Silko said:

Just watched the penalty incident…. What a terrible decision

However there have been far too many games where we have underperformed and as hard it is to swallow this match going against us and Peterborough winning we have been terrible 

Only McGoldrick and Wildsmith I believe can say they did well for us with any consistency 

Add Cashin and Forsyth into the mix and I couldn’t care less about any of the other players tbh.

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

I thought we looked by far the better team when we had 11 on the pitch and even with a man down we still created some good chances. For me that's very encouraging for next season and hopefully we can make a serious run for the autos. Disappointed today but unusually for me, optimistic for next season.

Good post and the right way to approach the disappointment. Clowes looked fairly relaxed when shown on Sky, he knows it’s a big recovery job.

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

The ref? Well it's par for the course in this league if you're DCFC. Next season we'll just have to make sure they can't rob us of so many points with clearly incompetent officiating.

Seems a shame to say this but we probably need to be a lot more streetwise next season... maybe take Ipswich as our blueprint in more ways than one!

3 minutes ago, jameso said:

It's all about opinions and I have been disappointed by the performances - mostly to do with quality from the players we have ,but hard to get away from the fact that Warne hasn't really had much room to make the moves he almost definitely would have wanted, and until he does, he hasn't had a truly fair crack at it.

Presumably you realise that he is unlikely to be going anywhere on the back of this though (?)

Yeah don’t get me wrong, he’s not going anywhere. Whether I like him or not, he here for next season. 

It’s likely a lot of the players he’s had at his disposal, he wouldn’t have signed.

But ultimately that’s football, it’s rare in this day and age for managers to have enough time to fully assemble their own squads, and you have to work with what you have. I don’t think Warne has done well enough with them 

We have zero players in their prime years

All either young lads or old heads. Bring in a couple of players & a striker and we will be fine next season

We are a squad thrown together we players playing out of position. As frustrating as today if we went up next season would be tough. Id rather build properly & go at it next season

Played well today. Sadly a very soft penalty and red card gave us a mountain to climb. Throw in the Didzy offside decision where he was clearly onside and you can’t really point fingers are the squad, just crap officials that we’ve had all season. 

looking forward to see what players we sign over the summer and we go again next season.