Is PP becoming second rate?

Bris Vegas

17 minutes ago, Mrso said:

I don't get very encouraged by all this nerdy positional placement of our attendances and stadium size.  Just look at Bradford City.  Their attendances are regularly twice those of any other League 2 club and never get out of it.  Or Sunderland who sort of 'deserve' European football far more than we ever will (and from a small city) but never get near it.

The population of Sunderland is 80,000 more than Derby.  There average attendance in League 1 averaged around 30-31,000.  Very good but proportionally smaller.  When I went there in 2007 for the game where if they beat us-they did- they'd go top.  The entire top tier of the ground was closed.  i don't see how they deserve European football more than Derby.  My dad's family are from up that way in South Shields and I certainly find them more agreeable than Newcastle however.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

I specifically noted ‘facilities and design’ re stadium Mk - nothing about attendances, old pictures or posters, character, history, statues, burger vans etc etc

three examples of facilities and design 

a fully integrated 4 star hotel (revenue raising)

A large indoor arena attached to the stadium providing another event venue on site and further revenue raising potential 

a pitch facing concourse running around the whole stadium at tier one level for concessions (not under the stands adding to the general crowding) 

new build comment?? PP is 26 years old…

Isn't it illegal to drink alcohol in view of an English Football Pitch?  🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Isn't it illegal to drink alcohol in view of an English Football Pitch?  🤷‍♂️

Yes but where did you get alcohol from - there are other concessions like food for example 

Edited by Monty

7 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Comment by an MK Dons fan on their forum regarding their visit to PP "Our club could learn so so much from that ground in how to run our ground... for a new build it felt like a football ground... every time I see these types it makes me more and more embarrassed about ours tbh... and even more flabbergasted at those that defend it."

"I'm talking more what it looks like. More character. More feeling of an actual football stadium. You walk around ours when the football isn't on and it feels like what it is, a multi purpose stadium and not a football stadium. Very little signage. Very little to showcase its MK Dons that play there. Pride Park had it all. Old pictures in poster form all around the exterior of the ground of former players, memorable moments, seas9ns gone by. The board we have at the top of the Cowshed? They had similar outside their gate. About 8 burger vans, statues of legends etc. Ours is quite simply a big bowl with some black marble brickwork and an MK Dons badge plastered on the building in each corner. Once you get into the ground there's very little character. Very few quirks to make it feel like ours. Go to many other grounds and it's full of imagery of their club. Their proud moments. Ours is simple, plain black, round and characterless."

I've also seen many, many comments from visiting Championship fans over the years who think PP is the best of the 'bowl' stadiums

To be fair, MK Dons aren't even out of their teens yet!

Just how many legends have they had, to build honorary statues for?
How many "former players" have they got?
They literally only have 19 "Seasons gone by".
They've won eff all, and have no history to speak of.

Not sure what he's moaning about!  We've got 139 years to showcase in and around our stadium!  

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Yes but where did you get alcohol from - there are other concessions like food for example 

I knew that would be the retort.  So anyone wanting alcohol still have to go underground? 🤷‍♂️

From what I witness in and around our concourse, I'd wager alcohol was the No1 seller... and I'm a staircase width away from the Family Stand!  🤣 

And before you say... No, I'm not thinking of myself, as it's been about 20 years since I sampled a pint at the match... before, during, or after.  I'm not teetotal, but can and often do go months without a tipple of any stature.  🍻

3 hours ago, Mrso said:

I don't get very encouraged by all this nerdy positional placement of our attendances and stadium size.  Just look at Bradford City.  Their attendances are regularly twice those of any other League 2 club and never get out of it.  Or Sunderland who sort of 'deserve' European football far more than we ever will (and from a small city) but never get near it.

Sunderland is a bigger city than Derby but unlike us has never appeared in the European Cup. Sunderland had a big history between 1892 and 1958 and a one-off famous FA Cup final win ever since. Bradford City has never been a force in English football; it's a bastion of Rugby League but for the most part has only ever produced lower division football clubs. Derby for the past 125 years has established itself as a true football town and city. We should take pride and hope for our future from that.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

To be fair, MK Dons aren't even out of their teens yet!

Just how many legends have they had, to build honorary statues for?

Not quite as bad as the Gumps with their ‘two stars’, but they have got a very large image of Dele Ali scaring you to death as you descend the hotel stairs towards the lobby. 😅

On 12/04/2023 at 18:19, Bris Vegas said:

Before I start, I’m not advocating for a new stadium or anything silly like that.

But when PP was built, it was deemed one of the top stadiums in the country. At least in the top 12 or so.

Since then, Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Swansea, Cardiff, Reading and Coventry have all built stadiums of similar ilk.

I remember when Derby was looked at as a potential option for a WC stadium had we won I believe in 2006.

Was it considered in 2018? Now, there is no chance.

Man City, West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs have all got far better stadiums. Everton’s is underway. I saw the list for the Euro bid and noticed stadiums like Old Trafford and Anfield weren’t there.

I think it’s just a further realization that we have become a second tier club (third momentarily).

I always thought Derby ‘belonged’ in the top flight. The more I think about it, especially looking at the modern game, I don’t think that is the case anymore.

Oh Bris, you really do love this provocative BS. Have you got a degree in stating the blooming obvious ? 
Derby County is a renown old club that is well supported. Pride Park is a fine stadium. We haven’t been close to the elite for some considerable time, yet the stadium is still more than adequate for a premier league club. No it isn’t in the pantheon of world  beating sporting temples but they are few and rare for obvious reasons.  The BBG wasn’t exactly a tourist attraction was it ?  There is no reason why PP should be either. Perhaps one day if we experience a run of glory days the designed in expansion possibilities at PP might be explored, but short of being bought by the new designer and patent holder of cold fusion reactors we are never going to play at the midlands equivalent of the Maracana, Bernebau, San Siro, Stadio Degli Alpi, Old Trafford or Anfield. 

Bore on with your faux “insightful” postings .. it’s a free country, but to inspire an audience do try and learn a little rationality,  and perspective. (A little humour might help too) 

Meanwhile .. how are the plans going for the 200 metre high column outside PP with a laser lit statue of Clough and Bloomer on top ? 

29 minutes ago, jono said:

Oh Bris, you really do love this provocative BS. Have you got a degree in stating the blooming obvious ? 
Derby County is a renown old club that is well supported. Pride Park is a fine stadium. We haven’t been close to the elite for some considerable time, yet the stadium is still more than adequate for a premier league club. No it isn’t in the pantheon of world  beating sporting temples but they are few and rare for obvious reasons.  The BBG wasn’t exactly a tourist attraction was it ?  There is no reason why PP should be either. Perhaps one day if we experience a run of glory days the designed in expansion possibilities at PP might be explored, but short of being bought by the new designer and patent holder of cold fusion reactors we are never going to play at the midlands equivalent of the Maracana, Bernebau, San Siro, Stadio Degli Alpi, Old Trafford or Anfield. 

Bore on with your faux “insightful” postings .. it’s a free country, but to inspire an audience do try and learn a little rationality,  and perspective. (A little humour might help too) 

Meanwhile .. how are the plans going for the 200 metre high column outside PP with a laser lit statue of Clough and Bloomer on top ? 

8 pages of replies suggests I brought up a good debate. 

I have perspective. I am rational. That’s probably why many don’t like my posting style because I’m bringing up good points and people don’t like it.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I have perspective. I am rational. That’s probably why many don’t like my posting style because I’m bringing up good points and people don’t like it.

You make contentious statements that you know will wind people up, that's why some don't like your posting style. As for debate it's not really is it. 😄

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Or you are an agent provocateur amongst passionate fans who just can’t help themselves when confronted with generic drivel.

I note you rarely join the “debate” you just massage your own ego. You need to be careful, that sort of thing causes short sightedness 

Edited by jono

1 hour ago, jono said:

Or you are an agent provocateur amongst passionate fans who just can’t help themselves when confronted with generic drivel.

I note you rarely join the “debate” you just massage your own ego. You need to be careful, that sort of thing causes short sightedness 

I've made several posts on this thread, and others. Many just missed the point completely, which is understandable when you don't like what you're reading. I put earlier on that I still believe PP is within the top 20 stadiums in the country.

I do wonder whether that will change within the next 10 years though. And whether our stadium will fall in line with what we are becoming, a second rate club whose best years are long gone.  

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've made several posts on this thread, and others. Many just missed the point completely, which is understandable when you don't like what you're reading. I put earlier on that I still believe PP is within the top 20 stadiums in the country.

I do wonder whether that will change within the next 10 years though. And whether our stadium will fall in line with what we are becoming, a second rate club whose best years are long gone.  

Have you considered that rather it being many people missing the point that it could be the unthinkable and that it is you missing the point?

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

You don’t “bring up good points” you throw emotional hand grenades on a fan forum. Your style is is akin to a corner shop version of The Sun or the Daily Mail headline writer. I have rarely seen such shallow, self important attention grabbing guff. That’s why people don’t like it ! I remember Bill Bryson writing about local papers and chuckling at a bill board headline … “91 year old woman dies”  

It’s a pity because sometimes when talking actual football action; you occasionally make  interesting observations - oh ! That’s like the rest of us, when you pause for thought rather than self aggrandisement.