Free agents in the summer

B4ev6is

Re: Roberts - Depends how charitable Brighton want to be and if the player would rather sign for us than maybe a bottom 6 championship side? 

Would love someone to ask the question at the next fans charter event re transfers. Are there strict guidelines in place? Or is there scope for creativity? 

My best example of this question is could we sign a player for £1m but the fee be paid in the summer of 2024? Or as we’ve signed the player still in restrictions would that count as a breach? I’m not expecting DC to roll out a war chest but if we can be a bit cheeky and work round a few of loopholes for a couple of class players then I can’t see why not.

53 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Re: Roberts - Depends how charitable Brighton want to be and if the player would rather sign for us than maybe a bottom 6 championship side? 

Would love someone to ask the question at the next fans charter event re transfers. Are there strict guidelines in place? Or is there scope for creativity? 

My best example of this question is could we sign a player for £1m but the fee be paid in the summer of 2024? Or as we’ve signed the player still in restrictions would that count as a breach? I’m not expecting DC to roll out a war chest but if we can be a bit cheeky and work round a few of loopholes for a couple of class players then I can’t see why not.

"Scope for creativity".  "A bit cheeky".   "Loopholes".     Didn`t go too well last time.

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Roberts would be a good addition if we can get it over the line, pleased to hear that’s the intention at least.

Geunine question, hes come in and done ok of late but this is guy that being kept on the sidelines by paulo sibley? 

Just throwing it out there gage opinion 

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Geunine question, hes come in and done ok of late but this is guy that being kept on the sidelines by paulo sibley? 

Just throwing it out there gage opinion 

Sibley came into the side when Roberts was injured/suspended (can’t remember which) and by the point he’d recovered we were on that run with a solid defence, Warne maintaining he didn’t like changing a winning side for the sake of it. I wouldn’t use that part of the season as an argument against of signing a promising and capable young player.

12 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Sibley came into the side when Roberts was injured/suspended (can’t remember which) and by the point he’d recovered we were on that run with a solid defence, Warne maintaining he didn’t like changing a winning side for the sake of it. I wouldn’t use that part of the season as an argument against of signing a promising and capable young player.

Fair comment 👍

15 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

I’d like to negotiate a max fee of £1-1.5m has to be spread over 3 years so we can only spend £1m next season I think that would be sensible 

15 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

It might be a good question but I’d be amazed if the EFL allowed us to buy a player on a deferred payment basis given the financial difficulties we have just emerged from. I also think, after the way Mel “bent the rules” and antagonised the EFL, to try and “be a bit cheeky” and find loopholes to take advantage of would be seriously wrong. 

34 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

I’d like to negotiate a max fee of £1-1.5m has to be spread over 3 years so we can only spend £1m next season I think that would be sensible 

Is he really worth that much, he's a 20 year-old playing okay in League 1. He's not Bielik.

8 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

No what I mean is negotiate our overall allowed spend with the EFL

Better to negotiate a total budget for wages and transfer fees - then allow us the freedom to choose how to spend the money.

ie. £10k pw week on a free transfer on a 2 year deal or £5k pw week on a £500k signing on a 2 year deal