Gary Lineker

Day

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Neither nimbyism nor immigration are the biggest problems in housing provision, it's the government's unwillingness to push through a meaningful social housing plan for homes purely for rent (and yes, previous governments too) and to introduce greater security of tenure and rent control in the private rental sector. A quid-pro-quo in the private rental sector would have made sense, but instead they've introduced regulations that don't go far enough to protect renters and tax disincentives which are driving out responsible landlords  -the worst of both worlds. It's no surprise though - no Housing Minister lasts for more than 6 months and I lose track of how often they diminish the status of the role. No-one gets any time to carry through a meaningful policy to address the problem.

Unfortunately social housing means more Government spending, and the Government is broke.  And rent controls will just destroy the private rented market completely. 

1 minute ago, The Last Post said:

The BBC said last week that GL was stepping back from MoTD, Today the BBC said GL will be presenting MoTD. There are 2 different statements that's what the change is ?

So basically the BBC have suspended Lineker then reinstated him a few days later without anything actual being altered.

Seems like a totally pointless, poorly thought out and futile exercise. 

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Open question as I cba to trawl through pages and pages of the same stuff - so what's actually changed between the BBC removing Lineker and him being reinstated?

Lineker has agreed to stop making tweetish tweets. BBC has agreed to review their social media guidelines. So it's a truce for now. 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Lineker has agreed to stop making tweetish tweets. BBC has agreed to review their social media guidelines. So it's a truce for now. 

I didn't read anything about Lineker reigning in expressing his esteemed opinion on social media.

But maybe that's because Im bored of the whole matter now. 

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

So basically the BBC have suspended Lineker then reinstated him a few days later without anything actual being altered.

Seems like a totally pointless, poorly thought out and futile exercise. 

Well we are talking about the BBC, An organisation that if you gave them the keys to a brewery and tell them have a free pi$$ up, They'd all come out sober.

The BBC  have been slaughtered on social media, The Government have gone into hiding and left the tools at the beeb to sort this clusterduck out, It now looks like the beeb will be reviewing their contracts to those who they pay money too and insert something along the lines of "freedom of speech" as long as there is no castigation of the Government or those at the BBC, With a sub clause of those shitbags down the A52 as fair game ?

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The Queen also gave a knighthood to Jimmy Saville (thats quite good too you know), so wouldn't rely too much on the honours system to back your point up.

Found it quite interesting when she was asked about comparisons and she said she had loads of examples but didn't think there was time to give them.

You'd think if you was going on radio to talk about the comparisons there may be some time to discuss them?

Also not sure where I said 'that she was no more likely to have an understanding of the holocaust than somebody on a DCFC message board.', perhaps you could refer me back to that so I can have a rethink on what I said. Cheers.

You cannot rethink something that wasn't thought out to begin with.  

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I didn't read anything about Lineker reigning in expressing his esteemed opinion on social media.

But maybe that's because Im bored of the whole matter now. 

It's a climbdown of epic proportions.

Lineker gets his job back, he can continue Tweeting as he sees fit and the Tories are lambasting the BBC to anyone who will listen. Meanwhile, the Bollinger quaffing Wokies are falling about laughing.

I think that about sums it up. 

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's a climbdown of epic proportions.

Lineker gets his job back, he can continue Tweeting as he sees fit and the Tories are lambasting the BBC to anyone who will listen. Meanwhile, the Bollinger quaffing Wokies are falling about laughing.

I think that about sums it up. 

Thankyou, sums it up very succinctly 

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Wonder if our mr Lineker has just the one home 

Possibly he has more. 

Maybe many things can be wrong at the same time, and whataboutery doesn't diminish any of them? 

Edited by GboroRam
Misread. Thought it said more than one home

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

The BBC said last week that GL was stepping back from MoTD, Today the BBC said GL will be presenting MoTD. There are 2 different statements that's what the change is ?

The little escapade between the BBC and Lineker as done it's job of deflecting the focus away from the government's immigration policy. But if Lineker is off air much longer, the story of his "sacking" starts to become stale. People may actually start looking at Lineker's twitter and realise what he said had a lot of truth to it.

So the BBC reinstate him, thereby creating a new news story that as everyone speculating on what as been agreed between them. Which keeps the focus off this inhuman immigration bill for another week. By which time the government will be hoping people's interest will have moved on to an other issue.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Possibly he has more. 

Maybe many things can be wrong at the same time, and whataboutery doesn't diminish any of them? 

I’ve made it plain many times that I laugh my nuts off at the stupid whataboutery term , it’s a swerve for hypocrisy,,, this so called whataboutery is an invaluable tool for me to use on myself when I’m forming an opinion , it can make things hard because there’s no place to hide if you use it honestly, you keep trotting it out if you like but I will carry on seeing it for what it is , a tool/tactic  to have one rule for some and another for others??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

23 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The little escapade between the BBC and Lineker as done it's job of deflecting the focus away from the government's immigration policy. But if Lineker is off air much longer, the story of his "sacking" starts to become stale. People may actually start looking at Lineker's twitter and realise what he said had a lot of truth to it.

So the BBC reinstate him, thereby creating a new news story that as everyone speculating on what as been agreed between them. Which keeps the focus off this inhuman immigration bill for another week. By which time the government will be hoping people's interest will have moved on to an other issue.

Meanwhile in parliament, it looks like they are putting up a bill they know is unworkable, then when it fails, blame the opposition, etc.

Same old same old.

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Unfortunately social housing means more Government spending, and the Government is broke.  And rent controls will just destroy the private rented market completely. 

Honestly, do you believe what you're writing?

A social housing policy would mean slightly lower profits for the big house building corporations and the big private rental corporations. They'd still be very, very rich. 

It would also mean a bit more money floating around the local economies with hard working families having a tiny bit more to spend with lower rents.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Well, we're f**ked then, aren't we?

?