Max Bird

Beardmm

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Yes, OK, he basically gets a triangle played around him as he pressures the furthest player and Hourihane is too far away to do anything about the runner

Warne is on the record that he wants his midfielders to forget what’s happening behind them and just go and close down the guy with the ball, and if they get caught out doing that it’s Warne’s fault, not the players.  It was the post-match interview after Knights first start for him, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I think that’s an insane way to set up a football team, but 🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Warne is on the record that he wants his midfielders to forget what’s happening behind them and just go and close down the guy with the ball, and if they get caught out doing that it’s Warne’s fault, not the players.  It was the post-match interview after Knights first start for him, if I remember correctly.

It's not Warne's fault though is it?  It's cos we only had 5 players at the start of the season / don't have any players aged 22 - 29 / nearly didn't have a club to support. 

😂

Edited by Blondest Goat

18 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

It's not Warne's fault though is it?  It's cos we only had 5 players at the start of the season / don't have any players aged 22 - 29 / nearly didn't have a club to support. 

😂

It's Warne's job yo get the best out of these players. He's clearly failing at that at the moment.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I didn't see that interview but that's a bit of a shocker really, especially (and I suppose we'll never know) if Bird's instinct in that situation otherwise would have been to hold his position to make the pass to the runner riskier/less likely.

I suggest Max should not be captain. He is not a strong enough advocate for the team with the referee . He should have stood his ground yesterday and insisted the ref and lino talked with each other and got the decision overturned. He should be in the referee's ear all game pointing out what the opposition are doing in terms of fouls and time wasting and gamesmanship. This is the skipper's job in the modern game. 

On 02/04/2023 at 13:34, Carl Sagan said:

I suggest Max should not be captain. He is not a strong enough advocate for the team with the referee . He should have stood his ground yesterday and insisted the ref and lino talked with each other and got the decision overturned. He should be in the referee's ear all game pointing out what the opposition are doing in terms of fouls and time wasting and gamesmanship. This is the skipper's job in the modern game. 

He is young man and young player but he was not captain craig Forsyth is captain now.

On 01/04/2023 at 14:00, Carl Sagan said:

Team for today:

My suspicion is we will be scoreless again. Unless there's some McGoldrick magic against his old team. 

6 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

He is young man and young player but he was not captain craig Forsyth is captain now.

Interesting, B4. The official team sheet does still list Bird as Captain, but I wasn't there on Saturday to see who was actually wearing the armband.

On 25/03/2023 at 20:09, Ghost of Clough said:

It's Warne's job yo get the best out of these players. He's clearly failing at that at the moment.

Without looking up the stats I would say that Bird has been subbed in the majority of his games this season , not a good thing for a vice captain , should be influential for 96 mins.

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Without looking up the stats I would say that Bird has been subbed in the majority of his games this season , not a good thing for a vice captain , should be influential for 96 mins.

Having actually looked up the stats, he completed 90 minutes in 23/30 league games he's started, and made it to 70+ minutes in 4 of the remaining 7 games.

There don't seem to be any natural leaders on the pitch. Max needs to concentrate on his game at the moment rather than anything to do with captaincy.

The last few games when things go against us you don't see anyone geeing players up around them, getting hold of players, forcing us to get going again. Everyone just looks at the ground and disappears into their shells. 

A key bit of recruitment in the summer is a hard, nasty midfielder with those types of qualities. A, dare I say, Robbie Savage type player.

• 3 months later...

Love Max but we've been here before. 

I have a feeling he'll be highly influential this season but there was a collective jumping of the gun regarding his performances when Warne first arrived, but that wasn't sustained.

Hoping we see more of this Bird (and less of the ..crow?.. who wanted to get himself killed today!