Favourite Players to Watch

cannable

Pretty fond of most of the current side, which has not been the case for a decade now. Young Cashin bossing things at the back, ably assisted by old man Fozzy who is as Derby as it's humanly possible to be; the Rolls Royce that is Max Bird and the seemingly boundless energy of Jason Knight; the way NML and Dobbin absolutely skin their FBs, it's all pretty good to watch. But Didzy, well he's just different gravy. Not sure what his contract status looks like, but we need to be locking him in for at least another 12 months as soon as we possibly can. 

Honestly? None.

Hear me out, I love this team that we managed to scrape together and somehow make it work without too many teething problems.

I just don't get that, "looking forward to seeing" feeling for any individual though, I mean no disrespect as they are all likeable players, I never have that thank god they are not in the team feeling for any individual either.

For me, I look forward to seeing them all play as a team, remembering where we were last summer and how all these lads have come together to gel, giving us a real chance of bouncing straight back up.

8 hours ago, cannable said:

As it says on the tin! Not necessarily the best, but the players who you look forward to seeing. McGoldrick and an ‘on his day’ Mendez-Laing of the current side.

Have to agree with that,I love watching the team as a whole bit you just know when McG or Mendez get the ball in the box,you will get to see some special football occur.

Mcgoldricks insight and awareness of those around him,which allows him to create a pass or shot that mere mortals wouldn't have seen coming is one of the reasons I love football.

Incidentally,David's reply helps me understand his viewpoint on a few topics,especially those regarding our current and previous strikers.

53 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Have to agree with that,I love watching the team as a whole bit you just know when McG or Mendez get the ball in the box,you will get to see some special football occur.

Mcgoldricks insight and awareness of those around him,which allows him to create a pass or shot that mere mortals wouldn't have seen coming is one of the reasons I love football.

Incidentally,David's reply helps me understand his viewpoint on a few topics,especially those regarding our current and previous strikers.

How's that?

Do I like McGoldrick, absolutely I do, I love what he's doing at 35 years of age, he's intelligent, doesn't just have the ability to hold the ball up, but turn and create space for himself.

Not only that, he doesn't stand there waiting for the ball to arrive and fall on his arse every 2 minutes, like a certain Chris Martin which you are alluding to.

McGoldrick is a key player to our promotion hopes along with Wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, Bird and Knight

Saying that, do I wake up on a Saturday morning and say to myself I'm looking forward to seeing him play individually? No I can't say I do.

Do I look forward to watching him within the team with the other players I mentioned? Yes.

We live in a world where we are spoiled by what we can watch, Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga, all the top clubs in the country, clubs that have players worth the entrance fee alone, genuine bums off seats exciting players.

Don't twist this into a David is somehow hard to please, I'm absolutely not, I just won't fanboy over a single player at this level to the point where I'm going just to see him.

I'm a bit old for the posters on the wall kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, David said:

How's that?

Do I like McGoldrick, absolutely I do, I love what he's doing at 35 years of age, he's intelligent, doesn't just have the ability to hold the ball up, but turn and create space for himself.

Not only that, he doesn't stand there waiting for the ball to arrive and fall on his arse every 2 minutes, like a certain Chris Martin which you are alluding to.

McGoldrick is a key player to our promotion hopes along with Wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, Bird and Knight

Saying that, do I wake up on a Saturday morning and say to myself I'm looking forward to seeing him play individually? No I can't say I do.

Do I look forward to watching him within the team with the other players I mentioned? Yes.

We live in a world where we are spoiled by what we can watch, Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga, all the top clubs in the country, clubs that have players worth the entrance fee alone, genuine bums off seats exciting players.

Don't twist this into a David is somehow hard to please, I'm absolutely not, I just won't fanboy over a single player at this level to the point where I'm going just to see him.

I'm a bit old for the posters on the wall kind of stuff.

A bit oversensitive there David,I was merely acknowledging your viewpoint and it made me better understand your way of thinking on these matters...

A lot of us enjoy watching an individual player with a set of skills you don't always see at this or championship level and mcgoldrick (and previously,for me,Martin) is one of them and I look forwards to seeing him repeating those skills.

Thats not to take anything away from watching the team perform as one.....both are a pleasure to witness and look forwards to.

You don't feel that way about players and that's fair enough,we all view the game differently (thankfully,it there would be no point to a forum!)and enjoy different aspects of it.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

I wouldn't say one player, but one thing I do like about playing at this level is getting to see players at either end of their career. Didzy is great, showing the skill has has (and more so than I ever thought he possessed) while Hourihane has done little to justify his 'ex-Premier League' badge since being here. At the other end it's great to see players start the journey and take a peek into whether they can develop and grow. Sibley, Thompson, Knight, even loans like Springett and Dobbin. Not just saying it but I'd take that any day of the week against trying to work out why we've brought in some £40k a week international to get us the six points needed to beat relegation. 

6 hours ago, David said:

Honestly? None.

Hear me out, I love this team that we managed to scrape together and somehow make it work without too many teething problems.

I just don't get that, "looking forward to seeing" feeling for any individual though, I mean no disrespect as they are all likeable players, I never have that thank god they are not in the team feeling for any individual either.

For me, I look forward to seeing them all play as a team, remembering where we were last summer and how all these lads have come together to gel, giving us a real chance of bouncing straight back up.

It is difficult to pick out individual favourites without going to the games tbf

McGoldrick and Mendez-Laing. 

McG has demonstrated what I call 360 degree vision countless times this year. It’s that quality that special players have; previously it’s the quality that Hughes19 showed week after week. I believe scientists call it Proprioception. It puts him on another level and explains why he plays as if he sees and reacts quicker. That’s why I pay the fee to watch football. Yes the team is top priority for me but to see specially talented players too.

Second, NML for pace and power and skill; 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Pretty fond of most of the current side, which has not been the case for a decade now. Young Cashin bossing things at the back, ably assisted by old man Fozzy who is as Derby as it's humanly possible to be; the Rolls Royce that is Max Bird and the seemingly boundless energy of Jason Knight; the way NML and Dobbin absolutely skin their FBs, it's all pretty good to watch. But Didzy, well he's just different gravy. Not sure what his contract status looks like, but we need to be locking him in for at least another 12 months as soon as we possibly can. 

I agree. Whatever our destiny at the end of this season, I feel there is a very special bond between the fans and these players. Its roots are in the fight for the club's survival and last season's valiant but unsuccessful effort against all the odds to beat the points deduction. Then when the squad was stripped to the bones, those who remain chose to stay while the rest chose to come here in the face of more attractive offers to go elsewhere. As McGoldrick said when he signed -  I feel there's something special happening here (or similar). You can see in the players' goal celebrations what the fans and club mean to them and in return the fans throw their own appreciation back at them. On top of that we have an owner who at last really is 'one of our own' and deserves to succeed. The whole club is singing off the same hymn sheet.

Over the years, we have seen some better Rams team but have we have seen teams that have been so committed and prepared to fight for the cause?

Not in my opinion and their efforts will always be fondly remembered.

So, while Cashin and McGoldrick catch the eye, this really is about the whole squad and each and everyone of them is worthy of mention.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

A bit oversensitive there David,I was merely acknowledging your viewpoint and it made me better understand your way of thinking on these matters...

A lot of us enjoy watching an individual player with a set of skills you don't always see at this or championship level and mcgoldrick (and previously,for me,Martin) is one of them and I look forwards to seeing him repeating those skills.

Thats not to take anything away from watching the team perform as one.....both are a pleasure to witness and look forwards to.

You don't feel that way about players and that's fair enough,we all view the game differently (thankfully,it there would be no point to a forum!)and enjoy different aspects of it.

Not sensitive at all, just replying to a post from a physiologist that yet again dredging up the past looking for Chris Martin the QPR player nibbles. I'm sure you'd find a way to bring him into the Shamima Begum topic at some point.

Can I also say it's unfair on McGoldrick to even bring him into this. Didzy is on another level completely.

We're also not past page 1 yet so to say a load of people share the same view as you is a tad premature.

Anyhow, may I bring up a slight issue with this topic, the title and opening post leave differing answers.

Favourite players to watch: Wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, Bird, Knight, Dobbin, NML and McGoldrick.

Players I look forward to watching: None.

Let me get back on the couch for my next therapy session ?

1 hour ago, David said:

Not sensitive at all, just replying to a post from a physiologist that yet again dredging up the past looking for Chris Martin the QPR player nibbles. I'm sure you'd find a way to bring him into the Shamima Begum topic at some point.

Can I also say it's unfair on McGoldrick to even bring him into this. Didzy is on another level completely.

We're also not past page 1 yet so to say a load of people share the same view as you is a tad premature.

Anyhow, may I bring up a slight issue with this topic, the title and opening post leave differing answers.

Favourite players to watch: Wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, Bird, Knight, Dobbin, NML and McGoldrick.

Players I look forward to watching: None.

Let me get back on the couch for my next therapy session ?

Whatever David,I'll leave it with you but it appears you have the problem here rather than me mate.

Anyway I'm out.

All the best.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

For me, this is when a player gets you out of your seat prior to any goal scored. NML and McGoldrick routinely do that for me. Also Knight to an extent, as love a hard-working midfielder like our beloved haggis lover. Ebosele did that for me too. Shame that was so short lived.