Jody Morris

Ilsonram12

I wish him well. 
He appeared to enjoy his time at Derby and still comments favourably about us. 

To me, it always seemed like he was the one with the tactical nous and Lampard was the ‘name’ that did the TV and media stuff. 
He had great success with the Chelsea young uns and Frank appears to have struggled since, without Jody by his side. 

I will be genuinely keen to see how he gets on as Manager and hope he brings them success. 

I think he deserves the opportunity.

I can remember a BBC documentary featuring young apprentices at Chelsea Jody Morris & Neil Clement* (both milling about in Harrods), Morris' father was a right Cockney & he came from a very ordinary background (Kensington council estate) so it was a major achievement to win a contract at Chelsea, this before young players' lives were radically altered by the riches of the PL/lucrative contracts. After that, he had a few run-ins, but he's been there & done it, has probably used this experience to mentor young players. It is a great opportunity for him.

Like us, Swindon have had their problems & a new ownership has stabilized things, it seems, and are a club again on the up. It's a club not too far from London so Morris could use his Chelsea links to bring in loans.

*Though middle-aged now, I was too young then to realize that Neil Clement's father was also a famous footballer, Dave, & that Neil is also the brother of Paul who went on to manage us. Sadly, Dave Clement committed suicide so the programme also covered the poignant side of Neil's mother seeing her son emulate his father to become a footballer, and perhaps being concerned about the anxieties that such a career can bring. 

Edited by Asanovic70

The documentary is available on YouTube, it was broadcast in 1997. Anyone interested, just type 'Jody Morris, young apprentice, documentary'.

I should warn that it features Graham Rix before he got done for an underage sex conviction as well as being accused & investigated for bullying & racism as a coach at Chelsea.

On 02/02/2023 at 13:17, Asanovic70 said:

I think he deserves the opportunity.

I can remember a BBC documentary featuring young apprentices at Chelsea Jody Morris & Neil Clement* (both milling about in Harrods), Morris' father was a right Cockney & he came from a very ordinary background (Kensington council estate) so it was a major achievement to win a contract at Chelsea, this before young players' lives were radically altered by the riches of the PL/lucrative contracts. After that, he had a few run-ins, but he's been there & done it, has probably used this experience to mentor young players. It is a great opportunity for him.

Like us, Swindon have had their problems & a new ownership has stabilized things, it seems, and are a club again on the up. It's a club not too far from London so Morris could use his Chelsea links to bring in loans.

*Though middle-aged now, I was too young then to realize that Neil Clement's father was also a famous footballer, Dave, & that Neil is also the brother of Paul who went on to manage us. Sadly, Dave Clement committed suicide so the programme also covered the poignant side of Neil's mother seeing her son emulate his father to become a footballer, and perhaps being concerned about the anxieties that such a career can bring. 

I remember Dave Clement well, from my teens.  My era, and played in "my position" (Right Back) so I probably noticed him more.
Without Googling, I can only recall him playing for QPR, but I suspect for a good few years. 
Pretty sure he also made it into The England team, but maybe "just" Home Internationals or similar.  I doubt he was involved in any major tournaments, given the era (I could well be wrong?)

No superstar, but very well accomplished, and quite possibly well respected amongst his peers too?

Very sad ending, mind.
xxx

On 01/02/2023 at 21:48, Zag zig said:

Remember his message on leaving, he said all the right things, including Derby being the first result he would look for.

He was sincere and whole hearted in his thoughts about us, always wished us well since.

Top man is Jody, hope he does well for himself. If he does, I’d not mind him back here one day.

Will he bring Lampard in as an assistant?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2023 at 13:17, Asanovic70 said:

As a fanbase, we probably owe Neil Clement an apology. I seem to remember us hammering him after he wrote an anti-Mel Morris tweet.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

On 15/02/2023 at 19:36, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As a fanbase, we probably owe Neil Clement an apology. I seem to remember us hammering him after he wrote an anti-Mel Morris tweet.

I didn't know that, it's only fair & reasonable that he'd stick up for his brother. As for an apology, I'm sure he & his brother must have shared a wry smile as things imploded under Morris and said, 'See? I told you so.'

I would say though that Paul Clement's career as a manager has disappointed. He came across as a gentleman. Of course, it was disappointing that things didn't work out. He can certainly feel a bit aggrieved at getting sacked with the club sitting 4th in the table. Most clubs sack a manager when they are 4th from bottom.

• 2 months later...