Accrington Stanley (H) Mon 2nd Jan, 3pm KO

10 minutes ago, jono said:

He was all over the place. Box to box is a cliche but he just doesn’t stop. Honestly, goals apart, he’s more complete then Bryso. If he starts scoring too, he’ll be a god. Way to go yet but, Cashin apart, the brightest star in our universe 

Main issue is he’s rarely ever been allowed to play in positions he’s suited for. Let’s hope he will now. 

9 hours ago, LazloW said:

I think we’re in the minority but I agree with you.  Unfortunately, as with a lot of things in the modern game, the ‘lashing out’ (or in other circumstances ‘raising hands’ or ‘making contact’) is now just accepted as being a sending off offence, without really considering the severity of the offence (a bit of a waft with his leg, very little contact, theatrical falling down, the poor soul who got touched being a whiny little git who was at it for the whole game) or the context (in this case being pulled to the ground and thus provoked - albeit not severely ). Yes it was petulant, yes a talking to, maybe a booking, but a sending off? Not for me. 

I know there’s a lot of moral superiority about this type of thing, but in the great scheme of things it was very minor. Indeed, I sit parallel to it in the east stand and probably had one of the best views of the incident in the ground and I thought nothing of it.  

I realise I’m biased, but this was hardly the crime of the century and I’ve seen far worse happen without a red card being shown.

A fair point, but some things need black and white outcomes; you cannot be allowed to essentially commit common assault on another player.  It is one of the few things that can be yes/no, and getting rid of the uniformity would make it worse: people lashed out against would simply turn the style up to make it look worse, rather than knowing being kicked is 'enough'.

8 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

A fair point, but some things need black and white outcomes; you cannot be allowed to essentially commit common assault on another player.  It is one of the few things that can be yes/no, and getting rid of the uniformity would make it worse: people lashed out against would simply turn the style up to make it look worse, rather than knowing being kicked is 'enough'.

I agree that you shouldn’t be allowed to commit common assault… what Orsula did was nowhere near that! He slowly wafted a leg out, it made minimal contact with the opposition player and he went down as if shot.  The ref was looking straight at it and seemingly only considered there was a problem when either the linesman or fourth official got in his ear (both of whom had a worse view).  

The only things black and white in football are whether the ball goes over a line and, in theory, offside (but that’s also got an element of subjectivity about it now as you have to get inside the linesman’s head to work out who he thought might be involved in play or not). Everything else is has judgment about it. The ref is able to - and should - consider whether there is a material difference between a petulant little kick that hardly made contact versus head butting or punching somebody.

Obviously, Orsula shouldn’t have done it. It was stupid and likely to get him into some trouble. Don’t give refs the opportunity to make these judgements. But, in my opinion only, it’s lazy of refs not to exercise some judgement and just automatically go straight to a red card for everything. In any event, in this case, there are also often far worse altercations that go on between players where refs only give out yellows or a talking to. That’s all I think this merited.

Anyway, not to worry; it’s a game of opinions and we all see things differently . Doesn’t really matter as we won so no harm done!! 

5 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I agree that you shouldn’t be allowed to commit common assault… what Orsula did was nowhere near that! He slowly wafted a leg out, it made minimal contact with the opposition player and he went down as if shot.  The ref was looking straight at it and seemingly only considered there was a problem when either the linesman or fourth official got in his ear (both of whom had a worse view).  

2023 is why Osula was sent off, The game has changed, It was called a physical game once upon a time, The physicality has been taken out, We've seen worse tackles either by accident or intent go unpunished, Footballers over the years have been coached/told how to con/cheat the official, We see it time after time and game after game, In todays rules...it's a sending off it matters not a jot which official saw it...it was seen, For me...a word in the ear and play on, But it's been said...this ref was looking to pull his red card out, Osula fell for it 

13 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

2023 is why Osula was sent off, The game has changed, It was called a physical game once upon a time, The physicality has been taken out, We've seen worse tackles either by accident or intent go unpunished, Footballers over the years have been coached/told how to con/cheat the official, We see it time after time and game after game, In todays rules...it's a sending off it matters not a jot which official saw it...it was seen, For me...a word in the ear and play on, But it's been said...this ref was looking to pull his red card out, Osula fell for it 

Quite. However lame the 'kick' was it is always going to get you sent off these days. The same punishment for a pathetic low-speed swish of the leg vs kicking someone as hard as you can doesn't make much sense to me but that is how seems to be and all players will know this so he has got himself niggled into a stupid decision, probably not helped by his arguing and squaring up after the kick.

The way I view it is this. If the police change the speed limit on a road from 50 to 30 and I have seen the speed limit sign, it doesn't matter what I think the speed limit should be - it is what it is.

11 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

The way I view it is this. If the police change the speed limit on a road from 50 to 30 and I have seen the speed limit sign, it doesn't matter what I think the speed limit should be - it is what it is.

True. But annoying when the Police turn a blind eye to the guy that you are road-racing!

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

I agree but it’s not a 2023 phenomena. It’s been happening for years now.

On 03/01/2023 at 11:47, HorsforthRam said:

Tin hat on. I didn’t think it was a sending off at all. A waft of the leg. There’s more aggressions when players push each other in the chest with hands and those are never sending offs. Absolutely no intent to hurt the opponent. Talking to and that’s about it 

Was more than a waft of the leg unfortunately. Beckham in 98 was a waft of the leg.  
It’s no secret how this works - shove a player with your arms, press your forehead against his,  you might or might not get a yellow. Head butt, punch or kick and you’re in red territory. 
You can say it should work another way, fine, but as the rules are currently applied, he has only himself to blame