Accrington Stanley (H) Mon 2nd Jan, 3pm KO

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Perhaps he thought he saw the kick out but wanted to be sure before issuing a red card given how important a decision it was. If so, it seems like sensible refereeing to call on an additional resource at his disposal. I only wish we could hear the conversation between the officials in such circumstances as we do in rugby. 

I get that, But thinking what he saw then asking someone who was 3-4 times further away to confirm what he saw is a little...how shall I say...gob smacking, Just another nail in the coffin for pi$$ poor officials...imo ?

*Breaking news*

The referee did the right thing by consulting the 4th official...why, I have slow mowed the EFL highlights down...and just as Osula kicks out the ref looks to his left...so didn't see the incident.

As has been said...in this one incident only...the official did the right thing...Amen ?

After seeing the highlights, I was pleased to see it was Accy's number 6 who gifted us the fourth goal.  I remember him constantly trying to wind up Sibley at their place. Fortunately it didn't work and Sibley had the last laugh, being involved in the third goal. 

It was a sending off for Osula, but I was not impressed with his over reaction to the tap on his leg. What an annoying little chap he is, to put it politely.

15 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Perhaps, but it wasn't too long ago that Ipswich were cemented in the top 2. Now they've fallen down and Wednesday have taken their place - no reason why that can't happen again.

I agree, @Scott129, but in the January / February matches in the recent past it's been Derby who have suffered a drop in form.

Hopefully it won't happen this time. ?

I think PW is doing a great job and so hopefully that 'slump' won't happen this season.

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

*Breaking news*

The referee did the right thing by consulting the 4th official...why, I have slow mowed the EFL highlights down...and just as Osula kicks out the ref looks to his left...so didn't see the incident.

As has been said...in this one incident only...the official did the right thing...Amen ?

So he did see Osula get hauled to the floor from behind and gave absolutely nothing?

I have no problem with the red, but it was a blatent peno.

3 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Tin hat on. I didn’t think it was a sending off at all. A waft of the leg. There’s more aggressions when players push each other in the chest with hands and those are never sending offs. Absolutely no intent to hurt the opponent. Talking to and that’s about it 

I think we’re in the minority but I agree with you.  Unfortunately, as with a lot of things in the modern game, the ‘lashing out’ (or in other circumstances ‘raising hands’ or ‘making contact’) is now just accepted as being a sending off offence, without really considering the severity of the offence (a bit of a waft with his leg, very little contact, theatrical falling down, the poor soul who got touched being a whiny little git who was at it for the whole game) or the context (in this case being pulled to the ground and thus provoked - albeit not severely ). Yes it was petulant, yes a talking to, maybe a booking, but a sending off? Not for me. 

I know there’s a lot of moral superiority about this type of thing, but in the great scheme of things it was very minor. Indeed, I sit parallel to it in the east stand and probably had one of the best views of the incident in the ground and I thought nothing of it.  

I realise I’m biased, but this was hardly the crime of the century and I’ve seen far worse happen without a red card being shown.

Edited by LazloW

29 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

So he did see Osula get hauled to the floor from behind and gave absolutely nothing?

I have no problem with the red, but it was a blatent peno.

I'm not guessing here...just a notion, I reckon he saw the foul on Osula but bottled/chose not to give a pen, Only he can answer that, In my opinion which carries very little weight and who refereed for some years in the Derby Taverners League a looooooong time ago...it was a penalty, Like most officials in todays game the ref will only give 1 penalty to each side per game, Of course there's the odd time when 2 or even 3 are given to the same side, I would wager there's been a directive somewhere from those above(not the morons we keep mentioning)but those that are at the PGMOL.

4 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I'm not guessing here...just a notion, I reckon he saw the foul on Osula but bottled/chose not to give a pen, Only he can answer that, In my opinion which carries very little weight and who refereed for some years in the Derby Taverners League a looooooong time ago...it was a penalty, Like most officials in todays game the ref will only give 1 penalty to each side per game, Of course there's the odd time when 2 or even 3 are given to the same side, I would wager there's been a directive somewhere from those above(not the morons we keep mentioning)but those that are at the PGMOL.

Absolutely no question that he saw the grappling.

So one of two things: he either a) thought it was 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other (possible), or b) he's thought 'they've already had one penalty and they're 4-0 up' (much more likely).

If it was still 0-0, I'd wager that we would have probably got that decision.

Edited by Scott129

6 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Just seen the highlights. Seems the ref was looking right at Osula when he kicked out. Then took his time in getting the decision right by consulting with his assistants. Good refereeing.

Other than that however, not a great performance. 

So how come he “failed” to see Osula being dragged to the ground, and then prevented from getting back up again? It is more likely the delay was caused by a phone call from Steve Gibson telling the ref to ignore the fouls and just get on with waving the red card!

7 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've been critical of the Warne style of play earlier in the season but in fairness we are starting to see players moving the ball forward with accurate  passes much more quickly and with much more accuracy. Even when it's long its been much more accurate . If we can keep this up and hopefully improve even more then I'm definately a convert. We'll done PW now keep it up. 

Regardless of Accy’s weakness I noticed a lot more pass and move, running off the ball and willingness in general. Over recent times we had an almost suicidal desire to stroke the ball around as if we had all the time in the world. Partnering that was the standing still waiting for the ball to arrive at our feet. There was a new urgency yesterday, reverse passes, slipping players in, weighted balls for players to run on to. I hope we can keep it it. It works ! 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

Regardless of Accy’s weakness I noticed a lot more pass and move, running off the ball and willingness in general. Over recent times we had an almost suicidal desire to stroke the ball around as if we had all the time in the world. Partnering that was the standing still waiting for the ball to arrive at our feet. There was a new urgency yesterday, reverse passes, slipping players in, weighted balls for players to run on to. I hope we can keep it it. It works ! 

I think that higher tempo was due in no small part to Knight setting the tone. 

A bit like Craig Bryson used to do. 

1 hour ago, samtheram83 said:

No mention of the challenge on Knight (that I’ve read)? Seemed a stone wall penalty in play and from replays. It’s not on the highlights either.

Owen Bradley mentioned it on the Review programme, but didn't show the incident.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

The No.4 even gave  Roberts a shove much harder than the one Fozzy gave their player before our penalty that their manager thought could have been a penalty for them (it was a dive, Coley).

After our 2nd, their only tactic was to try to get one of our players sent off, to even up the odds a little. Osula should have realised that's what the idiot officials would do given half a chance.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

The No.4 even gave  Roberts a shove much harder than the one Fozzy gave their player before our penalty that their manager thought could have been a penalty for them (it was a dive, Coley).

After our 2nd, their only tactic was to try to get one of our players sent off, to even up the odds a little. Osula should have realised that's what the idiot officials would do given half a chance.

Was that push by Fozzy on their number 7 near the South East corner? If so, there was virtually no contact at all, although Fozzy would have felt a movement of air as the diver whooshed past his body"! And, As I said in my match report, it would have needed at least to more Derby players to be sent off to get things anything like even! 

There has also been no mention of the fracas involving David McGoldrick earlier in the match. Diddzy had turned his man while shielding the ball, at which point to Accy player simply dropped to the floor. And, as per the rules of EFL football the ref gave a free kick against us. Diddzy protested and was immediately surrounded by Accrington men all pushing, pointing, cajoling. Mxcoldrick pushed away a couple of pairs of hands from right in front of his face, and I  was sure he would get a red card for that. The ref didn't do that ( so he'll be in trouble come Monday morning, I m sure), but it was a very nasty, provocative moment.

Edited by DavesaRam

2 hours ago, jono said:

I have also noticed that Smith is popping up in all sort of places in the last few matches. He was criticised in the Cambridge match for missing a good opportunity in the area. But at least the was getting into the area. Whether he has scored in the last 5 years or not, someone getting into the area when in the past we have left it largely deserted is bound to put pressure on the defence, and maybe force more errors. Long may it continue. And if no-one else is getting in there, why not Smith? 

I suspect that it is yet another stage in Paul Warne getting the t4am playing how he wants - Smith was involved in a number of our tasty moves, including his assist, so it is a great development. He is "creating" a new Louie Sibley, he has transformed Fozzy into a decent centre half (he used to have us worried when he covered there in the past!), and it seems that Smith is coming out of his shell, although there was precious little from Accrington Stanley to keep him in there! I like what I am seeing!

17 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I have also noticed that Smith is popping up in all sort of places in the last few matches. He was criticised in the Cambridge match for missing a good opportunity in the area. But at least the was getting into the area. Whether he has scored in the last 5 years or not, someone getting into the area when in the past we have left it largely deserted is bound to put pressure on the defence, and maybe force more errors. Long may it continue. And if no-one else is getting in there, why not Smith? 

I suspect that it is yet another stage in Paul Warne getting the t4am playing how he wants - Smith was involved in a number of our tasty moves, including his assist, so it is a great development. He is "creating" a new Louie Sibley, he has transformed Fozzy into a decent centre half (he used to have us worried when he covered there in the past!), and it seems that Smith is coming out of his shell, although there was precious little from Accrington Stanley to keep him in there! I like what I am seeing!

My opinion is he was better last game outside the box - it allowed Hourihane to be there and Barks. He played a better game providing chances and good passes, rather than trying to score them. So if not Smith is quite clear it would be someone else who is more likely to score!

Edited by RoyMac5

36 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I felt the same, almost as if he’d been told, “it’s ok to get involved, you aren’t chained to tram lines” .. All interesting stuff. Better picture when we face tougher teams. It’s going to be a great watch over the next few games. I love this game ?

2 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

I think that higher tempo was due in no small part to Knight setting the tone. 

A bit like Craig Bryson used to do. 

He was all over the place. Box to box is a cliche but he just doesn’t stop. Honestly, goals apart, he’s more complete then Bryso. If he starts scoring too, he’ll be a god. Way to go yet but, Cashin apart, the brightest star in our universe