The Conor enigma

Jimbo Ram

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

To be fair to Connor, he is suffering because of his reputation. I see him a bit like Wayne Rooney the Derby player. He's having about as much effect on the pitch as Rooney did, but to his credit at a very small percentage of cost and because he wants to play for our club.

Reputation and expectation. Think a few of us expected a bit more of him than was fair. He's generally been a good player in good teams, not someone who dictates games on his own. 

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

To be fair to Connor, he is suffering because of his reputation. I see him a bit like Wayne Rooney the Derby player. He's having about as much effect on the pitch as Rooney did, but to his credit at a very small percentage of cost and because he wants to play for our club.

I tell you what, he’s putting in more effort than Rooney did in the latter stages for us.

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Scores some goals but does he do enough in games?

No he doesn’t but he has won us two league games and one stupid handball contributing to us losing one - but do we have anyone better? - it’s all about midfield balance for me so it’s him or Bird in the side so long as Knight and Smith can play in central midfield with Sibley as an attacking threat 

3 hours ago, vonwright said:

Reputation and expectation. Think a few of us expected a bit more of him than was fair. He's generally been a good player in good teams, not someone who dictates games on his own. 

Let's face it, anyone who signs for us at the moment is damaged goods (old, crocked, young, forgotten) due to the restrictions placed on us.  There is no fighting for places, we have good players for what is available, but the team is made of what we can get not what we'd buy. 

We are a sort of Ready Steady Cook side this year: number of ingredients, now find something tasty that works.

14 hours ago, richinspain said:

Although I agree with you with regards doing enough in games, I'm not sure Paul Warne does. He keeps picking him whenever he's fit.

He was ‘injured’ what 4 league games ago and didn’t play. I wondered whether Warne dropped him and invented a niggle. CH was a little more lively next time out but didn’t play very well. Could easily be dropped (again?) when others come back from injury. So could our vice captain.
AS things stand  it’s like having two doormice in midfield

If we get a right back in Jan and if both smith and Knight are fit we will then see whether PW is a big fan or not. It’s clear to a lot of us that having Max and CH in midfield at the same time renders us very lightweight and as we are focusing on getting the ball forward quicker there is no justification for selecting both 

He cares a lot, you can see it in match, he gesticulates a lot on the pitch, talks a lot and is serious that he came here to get us back into the Championship. Sort of character and winner we need around. And I think Warne's style will suit him as we rely more and more on set pieces and dead ball deliveries to make the difference, something Conor should be among the best at, if not the best, in the division. It will take a bit of time and perhaps a transfer window or two but lets see how Warne's game can bring the best out of Conor. He has been no worse than Bird IMO, also came down a league with us with a big expectation to be "too good" for this league, and on the evidence we've seen so far, while he has been okay overall, he has also struggled to look like he is a class apart from anyone else he is up against in the centre of the park. We need more time to get everyone on the same hymn sheet, the fact we're in the playoffs going toward Xmas despite having 2 managers and a load of freebies put together at the last minute does bode well for us. In theory we can only get better (he says!).

When Cashin is back for the next game, we'll see where Warne stands. For me there's nothing Conor does that isn't done better by younger, more energetic midfielders. Playing 4-4-2 with everyone fir I would have a midfield pair of Knight and Sibley. With Knight injured I would probably have Bird and Sibley but you could make a case for Hourihane instead of Bird. With Warne's high-tempo game, Conor looks at the point where he should be on the bench getting a few minutes here and there, and advising the younger players behind the scenes.

Strangely enough, I think Hourihane is now playing at his best since he came to the club. I was very critical of him early doors, despite his goals.

But he seems to be working much harder on the defensive side of his game now and that's allowing Bird to get forward more too. Connor has better crossing but Bird sees those killer through balls. 

Neither of them will be last gasp tacklers but their reading of the game is such that they rarely have to do that anyway.

It's not either of theirs fault that the way Warne sets us up the two man midfield is going to be vulnerable to the corner attack down the middle. 

On 13/11/2022 at 11:52, Carl Sagan said:

When Cashin is back for the next game, we'll see where Warne stands. For me there's nothing Conor does that isn't done better by younger, more energetic midfielders. Playing 4-4-2 with everyone fir I would have a midfield pair of Knight and Sibley. With Knight injured I would probably have Bird and Sibley but you could make a case for Hourihane instead of Bird. With Warne's high-tempo game, Conor looks at the point where he should be on the bench getting a few minutes here and there, and advising the younger players behind the scenes.

You don't rate Hourihan's corners then?