Emirates FA Cup 2022-23

Phoenix

45 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

What is the Emirates Cup? Are we in that? I hope not, we have the FA cup and League Cup this week which is more than enough.

It doesn’t affect this week… or even this season… as it doesn’t start until the 2023/23 season. All games get played in a tardis, I assume?  ?

On 05/11/2022 at 23:53, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

What is the Emirates Cup? Are we in that? I hope not, we have the FA cup and League Cup this week which is more than enough.

Actually, it's the 'Emirates FA Cup'. I believe Torquay are in it.

The powers that be, in their infinite wisdom, have re-arranged Buxton's away trip to Ipswich to the highly inconvenient time of 5p.m. on Sunday. This is because it's to be televised. Overseas.

You couldn't make it up.

On 05/11/2022 at 23:53, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

One of them foreign pre-season trophies isn't it? Where Arsenal, Lyon, Hamburg and New York Red Bulls play each other to decide who has the most fans in China or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Eschewed some of the WC for the two 2nd round games on the Beeb.

Kings Lynn gave a good account of themselves until Stevenage went and scored 3 in about 6 minutes.

So many things I'm enjoying about the FGR vs Alvechurch game too. The Alvechurch no7 Yeboah-Abbey is massive, they've somehow got PL look-a-like names and numbers, and FGR have given some sponsorship to Just Stop Oil.

Though I did just spot a Forest hat in the FGR crowd. Make of that what you will

8 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Eschewed some of the WC for the two 2nd round games on the Beeb.

Kings Lynn gave a good account of themselves until Stevenage went and scored 3 in about 6 minutes.

So many things I'm enjoying about the FGR vs Alvechurch game too. The Alvechurch no7 Yeboah-Abbey is massive, they've somehow got PL look-a-like names and numbers, and FGR have given some sponsorship to Just Stop Oil.

Though I did just spot a Forest hat in the FGR crowd. Make of that what you will

Alvechurch's LB, Ethan Sephton, spent a few months with our U23s a couple of years back.

• 2 months later...

Revived this thread to mention the Brighton vs Liverpool game.

How rubbish is VAR and the TV commentary? After the officials and VAR robbed Wolves outrageously in the third round to send Liverpool through, it looked as if they were goiing to do the same, but justice was done in the end.

A Liverpool defender who was the last man running behind McAllister who was through on goal, deliberately elbowed the Argentine very forcibly in the back of the neck to take him out, just outside the box. An awful foul that could have led to a serious injury, and was a clear red card for either of two things: the physical assault or deliberately preventing a goal-scoring opportunity. VAR is meant to review potential red cards, but the commentators said they coldn't look at this because it wasn't a penalty. Are they mad?

Earlier, Liverpool scored having won the ball via a deliberate handball, but the goal wasn't overturned.

And then at least one and possibly two more Liverpool players should have been sent off for despicable career-threatening tackles, but nothing was done. One on the achilles was dreadful. Another was on over-the-top stamp on the foot.

How is officiating at all levels so poor? And often seemingly so biased? Of course it's mad that if we go to a replay against West Ham, there will be no VAR at Pride Park but it would be used at the Olympic Stadium. Just as it's mad that VAR analysis isn't transparent and shown on the big screen in the stadium, the discussion between officials miked up for the fans. As it is in cricket where it works very well.

Rant over.

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Revived this thread to mention the Brighton vs Liverpool game.

How rubbish is VAR and the TV commentary? After the officials and VAR robbed Wolves outrageously in the third round to send Liverpool through, it looked as if they were goiing to do the same, but justice was done in the end.

A Liverpool defender who was the last man running behind McAllister who was through on goal, deliberately elbowed the Argentine very forcibly in the back of the neck to take him out, just outside the box. An awful foul that could have led to a serious injury, and was a clear red card for either of two things: the physical assault or deliberately preventing a goal-scoring opportunity. VAR is meant to review potential red cards, but the commentators said they coldn't look at this because it wasn't a penalty. Are they mad?

Earlier, Liverpool scored having won the ball via a deliberate handball, but the goal wasn't overturned.

And then at least one and possibly two more Liverpool players should have been sent off for despicable career-threatening tackles, but nothing was done. One on the achilles was dreadful. Another was on over-the-top stamp on the foot.

How is officiating at all levels so poor? And often seemingly so biased? Of course it's mad that if we go to a replay against West Ham, there will be no VAR at Pride Park but it would be used at the Olympic Stadium. Just as it's mad that VAR analysis isn't transparent and shown on the big screen in the stadium, the discussion between officials miked up for the fans. As it is in cricket where it works very well.

Rant over.

It’s worse though because they play Everton next and should have been without the option of selecting those players against them 

lovely winning goal though 

12 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Hope they get at least this season out of him before the big six start making a move. Wrexham v Sheff U is a great cup tie.

Yeah I actually got caught up in the Wrexham love for a while.

I’d love to draw them at PP once we’ve dispatched Del, Rodders and Co.

• 2 weeks later...

I always had a huge amount of time for Billy Sharp. He has been an incredible goalscorer over the entire course of his career and one of those players you hate to play against but would love to sign.

I had no issue with his comments about Derby following the insults hurled at him by some elements of our crowd. Although it was sad seeing as he singled our fans out for their support following the death of his son all those years ago.

But he just seems like he has a massive chip on his shoulder these days. His moaning about Wrexham was bizarre, not showing SUFC enough respect? 

Just seems a really odd response.

Wrexham NEED to get out of the National League, they are far too good for that league, and I would expect them to quickly go up to League 1 if they manage to go up this year.