I have never carved a pumpkin

Day

34 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You haven't missed out. It stinks.

First time I did it was because of the kids but they are growing out of that now.

Did you eat the pumpkin you carved out, or stuck it in the bin, popped a candle in and waited for it to rot?

14 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

You have missed out a lot in life David,no pumpkin carving,no fireworks,anything else you want to add to the list,bet you never did "trick or treat"

Of course I never went, look, we wasn't rich by any stretch of the imagination, we could afford chocolate and sweets without begging neighbours though.

There is help out there for those having financial issues, no need to send your kids out begging door to door. 

46 minutes ago, David said:

Did you eat the pumpkin you carved out, or stuck it in the bin, popped a candle in and waited for it to rot?

When I was in my 40's I bought a pumpkin home for my dad. I asked him if he'd ever carved a pumpkin and he hadn't and neither had I.

We both set to carving it and had such a good time designing the features and evaluating our success! We kept it for a couple of days with a night light inside but then it turned blue and we had to get rid!

I made pumpkin soup on Hallowe'en night with carrots, pumpkin, tinned tomatoes onions, stock and cumin. We had a good cheese and crusty bread and it was a moment to literally savour.

My dad died in 2008 and I still remember this night of fun and laughter.

Do I still carve pumpkins? No! It's bloomin' hard work. But we buy pumpkins and make the most lovely meals every October. Next meal tomorrow is pork chops with roasted pumpkin slices and mustard sauce. A much under rated veg. Make the most of them while they are around. Lots of recipes on the internet. ?

34 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

You're not allowed to give out sweets any more, it has to be air dried papaya rolled in pumpkin seeds or small packets of goji berries infused with Amazonian rainwater

Bet you don't get kids lined up outside your door!

4 hours ago, David said:

Of course I never went, look, we wasn't rich by any stretch of the imagination, we could afford chocolate and sweets without begging neighbours though.

There is help out there for those having financial issues, no need to send your kids out begging door to door. 

Ayup Victor Meldrew’s feeling better.

Pumpkin my arse.

I’ve seen a few appear by my front door, but only the lad and his girlfriend have carved some.

I have carved some with them, but it normally ends up with them doing some extravagant design, getting bored and frustrated and me finishing them off.

Been there, done it a few times now refuse due to wasting food when there’s starving people everywhere. Growing them wastes water too, sowing them uses oil to power the tractors, people going to pick them increases green house gasses.