I have never carved a pumpkin

Day

3 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Where we live, the 4 or 5 streets around us print off posters that tell people whether we welcome trick or treaters or not so it's obvious where to knock.

Technically, Just the opting in should suffice.  A clear invitation, one might say?

There should be no need for the rest of us to put a sign up to signify our disinterest and/or our desire to be omitted from such "festivities"!. 
No sign at all does the trick... or at least, it should do!  

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Technically, Just the opting in should suffice.  A clear invitation, one might say?

There should be no need for the rest of us to put a sign up to signify our disinterest and/or our desire to be omitted from such "festivities"!. 
No sign at all does the trick... or at least, it should do!  

Round our village, the rule is, if you’ve got a pumpkin on your doorstep, window, etc. then you’re part of the festivities. 

First time we went when my daughter was very little and we went round Mickleover, and no one had anything out, it was really miserable. So we did resort to just knocking on any door with a light on. Eventually we found a stoner that gave my daughter all his munchies! I remember my parents always got sweets in, but never really had anyone bothered to come all the way down their drive to knock on the door. More for me.

In Hilton though it’s amazing. And every second or third house is involved. My daughter went out with her mates for the first time this year, while we took the younger two. She had a great time in the rain. Because we’re out trick or treating, we leave a lot of sweets through a bit of a gauntlet of spider webs and skeletons. It’s great to watch kids getting all confused through the ring doorbell. I was sat in a service station waiting for my car to charge up, so I could just randomly say ‘boo’ through the ring. What a world we live in, that I could scare kids in my front garden from 150 miles away. 

PS I just had a slice of my daughters pumpkin pie, and it’s bloody gorgeous. To all parents out there, pay for your kids to have cookery lessons, you’ll not regret it.