Derby County v Exeter City Tuesday 25 October

Gritstone Ram

9 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

There's now a 5 point gap between us and a play-off place and a massive 15 points from an automatic promotion place. Now I understand why Hoofball Warne got a 4 yr contract. It will be 4 years till all the footballing teams are promoted out of this division to give us a chance of making the play-offs. By then Pride Park attendances will drop down to about 12,000.

You ever thought about becoming a counsellor as all of your posts exude total positivity. 

1 minute ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

What do you see in him? I just really dont get it he does 1 or 2 good things a game, zero movement scared of a hard tackle and when he goes for a header he jumps with the other player but no intention of winning the header hes like a 10 year old scared of heading the ball 

What did I see in him tonight or what do I see he’s capable of?

The first: not a great deal admittedly; some good passes (blown away by Cashin in that respect but different positions obviously) especially at the beginning when he wasn’t playing in a 2 with Hourihane. Certainly didn’t stamp his authority on the game and has only reached the heights once this season, at Cambridge. But on the night better than Hourihane - though for me that says more about Hourihane, who has been totally underwhelming so far for me. Definitely not worth dear oh dearing him on that performance. Just my opinion though obviously.

What I see he can be is a very effective box-to-box player who has all the tools to play at a decent level. He has an eye for a pass and can play it, he can shoot (though he hardly ever does), his physical strength and effectiveness is (was) improving. 

He’s going to be the latest goes-somewhere-else-and-shows-us-what-we-could-have-had if we’re not careful.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

At least Hourihane will get you 10 goals if he does nowt else. Bird does nowt and scores 1 in 100.  Absolutely pointless player.  Butterfield light.  How is he motivating that side as Captain.  Looks like he's took a vow of silence and gets bullied ever game. The most overrated in my time watching.  Oh for a Van Der Laan to shell out the bollockings and lead by example. 

Hourihane is an absolute passenger and the biggest disappointment this season. Was the one signing I was excited about dropping down to league 1 and he has no impact whatsoever on the game. Great that he’ll score 3/4 blinding finishes with his left foot but he needs to be bringing more to the games 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Can't play max and conor as a midfield 2. Doesn't work at all. 

Sibs disappeared after 5 mins. 

NML does basically the same moves 10 yards outside the oppos box as he does 10 yards outside our box. Scary. 

We'll have Collins back on Saturday which may help. Osula is not a target man. 

It is going to be a long season. Our players are mainly elderly and after a gentle slide into retirement.

Enjoyed Roberts, dobbin, Cashin and Smith at RB. 

COYR 

Can see why Smith hasn’t had more run at RB. Didn’t realise he was quite that slow. A foot race with him, Hourihane and Bird would be a sight. 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

People are a little dramatic. Warne was appointed just over a month ago, very few managers have instant impact. Football wasn't brilliant tonight, it isn't Warne's squad yet. He deserves time to build something without the booing and moaning of the crowd in my opinion. Stability is key. 

The players are good enough to be doing better - that is down to the manager.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He took over a mid table side that continues to be mid table. And won away, which hadn't been done. It really isn't all that bad. 

Come off it, he took over a side that would have been third had they won their games in hand and a side that were Arguably better in every game this season including the losses. Look at the stats from before… 

Im not saying it was all rosey before, it wasn’t but I don’t think we were far away from striking the right balance yet we’ve apparently thrown out the baby with the bath water in an attempt to rebalance. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For me he's caused a lot of it by playing the wrong system for the players and then compounded it by playing the wrong players, plus playing the wrong players together.

#hissyfit well f'ed off!

Maybe, but the basics weren’t done. So many simple errors and weak tackles, slow passing etc. 

2 minutes ago, vonwright said:

To be fair I think it's clear that automatic was going to be a huge stretch whoever was managing us, and even if we'd have been able to sign more players. Ipswich and Plymouth look very good for this level. 

Playoffs was realistic, and should still be realistic with this squad. 

We are a mid table team with not enough depth, this embargo after admin will stop us getting too much in Jan. Most of our home wins were from bits of individual brilliance and then work man like performances. Be interesting who gets this head of recruitment role 

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

At least Hourihane will get you 10 goals if he does nowt else. Bird does nowt and scores 1 in 100.  Absolutely pointless player.  Butterfield light.  How is he motivating that side as Captain.  Looks like he's took a vow of silence and gets bullied ever game. The most overrated in my time watching.  Oh for a Van Der Laan to shell out the bollockings and lead by example. 

Yes.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Don’t disagree with the VDL sentiment.

As for your first sentence, did you mean “when” where you wrote “if”?

Watching the second half was painful and I gather it was better than the first. We've been turned from an imperfect footballing side in progress which needed some tactical adjustment into a footballing nightmare. Warne's direct brand of football produced one shot on goal from a free kick, one ball into the box that almost had a shot on target and a foul outside the area from the gk in 45 minutes of play. All exeter had to do was not play a high line and we looked stuck.

The worst thing is he hasn't even shored us up defensively, the slightest bit of pressure and we look just as vulnerable as we did under Rosenior. Sibley at wing back with 3 left footed center halves what was that about exactly? When we went to 4-4-2 it didn't even work very well. I don't think we've got the players to really execute what he's wanting and if I'm honest I don't want his 'brand' of football at our club anyway. I'm absolutely baffled why we've turned to this bloke in all honesty. I don't get it in the slightest and I never understood why anyone was so excited when we appointed Rotherham United's manager in the first place. 

Just now, Andicis said:

We are changing formation entirely. It's been a month. Yes, it's down to the manager, but getting on his back after a month is short sighted and foolish. 

What? I'm expressing an opinion - isn't that what you are doing?!

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

He’s going to be the latest goes-somewhere-else-and-shows-us-what-we-could-have-had if we’re not careful.

Have there really been that many of those? More often it seems the players we think are great end up doing very little. 

(Ebiowei might be an exception but we were desperate to keep him.)

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

That's a pretty safe bet seeing as that's weighted 75% in your favour. 

Ok I'll wager Warnes bobble hat, deal. 

Okay fair enough, I don’t think he’ll finish next season as our boss. 

I really hope I’m wrong and some fine tuning sorts us out but we’ve gone from a bunch of footballers who sometimes lacked the balls to look forwards with the ball to a team of men who can kick the ball long.