Accrington Stanley v Derby County Matchday Thread

archram

If we persevere with this formation:

Wildsmith

Chester Cashin Roberts 

Mendez-Laing Knight Bird Sibley Barkhuizen

McGoldrick 

Osula

Maybe it's too attacking in midfield but I think we need a bit more pace and energy in the middle and at the back hence Roberts and Sibley get the nod ahead of Davies and Hourihane. 

For PW's formation to really work I think we need an out and out CDM, especially if the wingbacks remain Barks and NML.

I'm going for a 'wacky' unbalanced non-formation where I pretend that players are defined only by their strengths and will immediately understand their new role and how to play it, and half-fit players get massive workloads on their first appearance back. What could go wrong?

lineup(2).png.830c56d21e940e0991ba330e86c074b8.png

Hourihane gets a sort of free-role to link up play with Barkhuizen, Knight & McGoldrick, but has little-to-no defensive responsibility and is far enough away from Bird not to get in his way.

We all love a triangle, and here we have 2, potentially 3! (Barkz/Knight/Hourihane, Knight/Hourihane/McGoldrick,  Barkz/Hourihane/McGoldrick)

All of this wonderful, quick, one-touch football drags Accrington over to that side of the pitch leading to acres of space for Mendez-Laing to either stay wide if we want to switch play, or come centrally to support McGoldrick. The role that gets most out of him.

Knight's & Barkhuizen's engines mean they can form a nice partnership to support the attack and defence together. Knight can stay quite central though knowing that Barkhuizen won't abandon his defensive duties, meaning he isn't restricted to covering only one side of the pitch.

On the other side, Smith plays more of a defensive RWB role to help cover for Mendez-Laing staying further forward, but should be able to create a decent link-up with Bird, Chester & Knight to defend when needed, and Bird, Knight, Mendez-Laing when attacking.

Defensive midfield? What defensive midfield. We don't really play with a defensive midfielder anymore.

Again, except for everything, what could go wrong?  ?

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

We all love a triangle, and here we have 2, potentially 3! (Barkz/Knight/Hourihane, Knight/Hourihane/McGoldrick,  Barkz/Hourihane/McGoldrick)

You've essentially got one 4 player triangle there... Which is a square in anyone's book!

Pythagoras is turning 180° in his grave...

Edited by RodleyRam

16 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

You've essentially got one 4 player triangle there... Which is a square in anyone's book!

Pythagoras is turning 180° in his grave...

It's more of a parallelogram made up of 2 separate triangles really 

In one triangle McGoldrick isn't an active participant, in the other Barkhuizen isn't.

The passing triangle creates the space and then gets the ball to the spare man.

The way you're looking at it you could just say that that the whole team is a hendecagon 

Edited by Kokosnuss

51 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

It's more of a parallelogram made up of 2 separate triangles really 

In one triangle McGoldrick isn't an active participant, in the other Barkhuizen isn't.

The passing triangle creates the space and then gets the ball to the spare man.

The way you're looking at it you could just say that that the whole team is a hendecagon 

Paul Warne's hendecagon army

Has a catchy ring to it

9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

But just a silly and avoidable red card away from not very catchy at all!  ?

Good point it is massively reliant on keeping everyone on the pitch.

Also potentially implies a huge amount of open space in the middle of the park as our players line up around the outside to fit the formation in. More like a dysfunctional hokey cokey...

Kill joy.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Is Hayden Roberts injured. I think he would be a great option for that left centre back in a three.

I’d drop Max Bird. It just isn’t working out for him right now.

Hopefully Sibley gets a start. Unless he has been injured, I don’t know why he has been the one to drop out.

Yeah I’d be fine with roberts there, move Cashin to the middle of the three?

This poor finishing in training is why you train! To improve you hope. Get better each time. Miss a bit nearer.

HOWEVER: I used to take my seat way before kick-off and had the dubious pleasure of watching the pre game routines under loads of different managers. They all had one thing in common. The finishing was diabolical. You could think of it as "ranging" shots; getting the feel of the pitch, ball, weather. However, it rarely seemed to translate into shed loads of goal in the game.

Maybe it's just the calibre of Championship/L1/ free agent players. Possibly not; I watched a few games on TV this week. Top European players. Most of them couldn't hit a barn door from outside the box and quite a few inside it. Seems it's a contagion in the game. 

Radical thought: The balls are too light and slippery so the "sweet" spot is too tiny.  Bring back wet leather and dubbined boots.

On 13/10/2022 at 17:47, Bris Vegas said:

Is Hayden Roberts injured. I think he would be a great option for that left centre back in a three.

I’d drop Max Bird. It just isn’t working out for him right now.

Hopefully Sibley gets a start. Unless he has been injured, I don’t know why he has been the one to drop out.

Think you are correct about Bird.The armband doesn’t help some players but I am sure he will find his form soon. I don’t think Paul will pick players that are not 100% fit due to the amount of running he expects them to do. Loads of goals in this league come from daft mistakes and I don’t expect tomorrow will be much different.