Wetherspoons, would you want one in your town?

Boycie

https://www.ladbible.com/news/residents-angry-over-wetherspoons-plans-20221007

9FE400E5-A389-4D91-9819-B2DDD4A71711.thumb.jpeg.1e64fd74554dafef8a2a883b1fa5df94.jpeg
These people in West Yorkshire are kicking off that a local well loved Italian Restaurant is closing and turning into a ‘spoons.

They ought to have used the Italian a bit more then hey?

Are you NIMBY when it comes to Wetherspoons but don’t mind using them when out, or do you think they’re hell holes with sticky tables full of empty pint pots and half eaten plates of food?

my opinion, some are really good.  Some others are really poor, lack of staff is to blame I think.

I'm not against a cheap pint in Spoons.

We have 2 here, 3 at one point.

You know what you're getting, cheap food, cheap drinks and a hike to the toilet in a Jeremy Kyle audience.

Older you get, the more you appreciate the no music for those times you want to bitch about the wife without the boom boom boom.

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

9FE400E5-A389-4D91-9819-B2DDD4A71711.thumb.jpeg.1e64fd74554dafef8a2a883b1fa5df94.jpeg
These people in West Yorkshire are kicking off that a local well loved Italian Restaurant is closing and turning into a ‘spoons.

Are you NIMBY when it comes to Wetherspoons but don’t mind using them when out, or do you think they’re hell holes with sticky tables full of empty pint pots and half eaten plates of food?

my opinion, some are really good.  Some others are really poor, lack of staff is to blame I think.

Two weeks after it opens that bloke will be in there reading the Racing post at 8 in the morning and coming home smelling of Snakebite and kebabs at midnight.   He's been waiting for it all his life. 

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

It strikes me that the Italian restaurant couldn't have been that well-loved.

Same as any other high street chain, some are better than others. 

The Harrogate spoons is lovely, the slab square one in Nottm is a den of iniquity. 

2 minutes away is a nice one, tucked up an alleyway.

Food is uniformly s****, mind, but power drinking as cheap as possible is the reason spoons exist.

In Utch Market Place and its immediate environs, we have 14 drinking establishments including a Spoons in an area covering not much more than 4 football pitches.

When spoons first opened it was thought it would kill the small traditional pubs

We have 400 year old pubs side by side with micro pubs and modern craft ale type bars. The older pubs have given up the lunchtime/afternoon trade to Spoons but are busy evenings and weekends. Weirdly, 4 or 5 of the newer places have opened up since Spoons arrived.

Last Saturday, 8 coach loads of Wendy fans filled the bars on their way to Port Vale. Tomorrow Sheff United will do the same going to Stoke. Ive told our landlord to stick 20p on a pint to pay for our minibus!

Could be fun if Vale stop over as well.

Uttoxeter is now an official stop over for football fans agreed with the police, partly due to Spoons large capacity I think.

I personally drink there as little as possible cos my loyalty is with a couple of the trad pubs as I know the landlords, but in a strange way its probably been a good thing for Utch.

20 minutes ago, David said:

Don't really get the hate for the place online, I say online as you go to any Spoons on a Friday and Saturday they are rammed.

The owner's a Bamford. His plan to use lovely historic buildings is actually brilliant. The Standing Order is a great example, beautiful old building given a new lease of life, theres an old cinema in Stafford, the one in Utch is a listed building, but the red faced Aussie comes over as a complete and utter a******* whenever he speaks.

My main objection historically was regarding the owner basically being an obnoxious sunlit-uplands dwelling unicorn-farming dimwit who treats his staff like drones.

Saying that, I went into one a couple of days ago in Blackpool (The Velvet Coaster) and they had Leffe Blond on tap at £4.00 a pint. It's probably not ranked in my top 500 Belgian beers, but it's still pretty good.

The one in Newcastle City centre served us well on a lads weekend last November. 

Actually had a couple of reasonable beers at just under 3 quid a pint. 

Compared to the 6 quid average round here not bad. Our preferred local has just been taken over by punch taverns so it's a bit between the devil and the deep blue sea.... 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The owner's a Bamford. His plan to use lovely historic buildings is actually brilliant. The Standing Order is a great example, beautiful old building given a new lease of life, theres an old cinema in Stafford, the one in Utch is a listed building, but the red faced Aussie comes over as a complete and utter a******* whenever he speaks.

He is, but does that really get factored in when deciding where to go for a pint? It's not like he's the live in landlord.

I mean we wear clothes, trainers, use technology which are manufactured in countries where staff are either underpaid or treated like robots.

Amazon as well, the conditions they work under.

Sport Direct, zero hour contracts yet many were calling for him to buy Derby.

??‍♂️