Wetherspoons, would you want one in your town?

Boycie

Think I've (knowingly) only used two?

One in Folkestone (x 2 visits).  Grubby, busy, stunk of weed.  Food was typical pub-grub, so no surprises there.  Not a beer drinker, so can't comment on that score.
Second (and last) visit included a full on glassing, including blood soaked tee-shirts, alpha-males running up and down stairs shouting "Come on then", girlfriends shouting "Leave it, he ain't worth it"... and no sign of any cops!  ?

The other was Utch... on a weekday morning... for breakfast!  Far more civil... as you'd expect pre-10am!... and the brekky was more than adequate in all honesty.  I'd do that again.

Edited by Mucker1884

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Been in lots of different ones around the country, generally you know what you’re getting. For decor the Winter  gardens in Harrogate takes some beating.

80422061-6B2B-4286-85EF-77787F99BF1F.jpeg

D28241AF-FD04-438C-97D1-B3D879E940D9.jpeg

Is that Hourly Wetherspoons Weather you have bookmarked there?

11 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

There are two Spoons near me. Average age daytime is about 70, from 19.00 on it changes to 19. Good beer and cheap. 

Sounds about raite.

Ours is the old dears for morning coffee/brekkie etc with just one or two old soaks on the 9.00am pints. After 5pm you get an after work crowd and younger ones drifting in from 7ish.

My missus moans that the toilets are always disgusting, but, when I visit the mens toilet in the same pub they’re normally fine?

Ive come to the conclusion that the problem with women’s toilets is the women!

No objection to them but it never really occurs to me to go into one, because I've usually scoped out other / better options.

I'd much rather a Wetherspoons took over an old building though, than the awful trend of knocking it down / ripping out its innards to build 'luxury apartments' (cramped apartments that cost the earth and are located somewhere nobody actually wants to live).

Maybe that's more of a Derby City Council thing than anywhere else though? Who's supposed to actually live in all the new housing where Debenhams was, who can afford it?

14 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

No objection to them but it never really occurs to me to go into one, because I've usually scoped out other / better options.

I'd much rather a Wetherspoons took over an old building though, than the awful trend of knocking it down / ripping out its innards to build 'luxury apartments' (cramped apartments that cost the earth and are located somewhere nobody actually wants to live).

Maybe that's more of a Derby City Council thing than anywhere else though? Who's supposed to actually live in all the new housing where Debenhams was, who can afford it?

Rent only, I'm told the owners/builders get a subsidy from the Council/Government?‍♀️

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/new-picture-what-apartment-block-7008700

If it ends up like those on Gower Street it'll be a cess pit ☹️

Edited by Unlucky Alf

11 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

It’s a pity Spoons wasn’t around years ago when the 18th century Assembly Rooms in the Market Place was demolished and rebuilt at Crich. Would have made a great Spoons pub

12 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I’d rather put spoons in my eyes than eat food at one of their establishments. That is if they ever have any staff to take the order. Weatherspoons is what happens when you put a Tory in charge of a pub chain. (Bit of politics there for @Stive Pesleyand @ariotofmyown).

My lad and his mates love 'Spoons' - they just find a table and use the app on their phones to order their food and drinks so they don't need to find staff to take their order....

Personally I'd much rather have a nice old buliding in use as a pub than standing empty or demolished....

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Is Derby the only town in England with two Spoons next door to each other? A third, 5 minutes up the road, has to ensure the highest concentration of Spoons in the country surely?

One in Utch is alright as a gateway pub to visiting the better indies a few doors down.

Mansfield have 3 within 300 yards although one of them, the Widow Frost is on the closure list.

I think Cardiff have 8, quite a few close together. The Prince of Wales is decent.