Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

FWIW, I wasn't convinced when I was watching the latest We Are Derby episode and seeing how Liam addressed the players after the game. Yes he was nice, but it seemed like he was trying too hard to copy Rooneys style and without the same gravitas. It didn't look to me like the players were hanging off his every word and looked up to him as such.

It will certainly be a change having Warne in the dugout, can recall him not shutting up every time Rotherham came to town. 

The same fans that want LR to carry on are the same fans that wanted Nige to carry on around this time nine years ago.

Blatantly obvious Rosenior wouldn’t kick us on. A few paper over the cracks home wins and zero goals scored away from home is hardly impressive stuff.

Nice guy and I wish him well but not what we need in League One. 

Just now, Diego said:

The same fans that want LR to carry on are the same fans that wanted Nige to carry on around this time nine years ago.

Blatantly obvious Rosenior wouldn’t kick us on. A few paper over the cracks home wins and zero goals scored away from home is hardly impressive stuff.

Very different situation with a very different coach following. 

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:
3 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Rotherham will never be more than a bottom 3 Championship club.

Is that the Rotherham that currently sit 8th, one point off 5th place, with a game in hand over all those around them? ?

And Rotherham like Derby have still not won away.

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You may not think Liam was the right man, I disagree with you and considering the circumstances we’ve had a more than creditable start to the season with the prospect of further progress. But what about Paul Warne being first choice? a one club man at a much smaller club than ours playing a completely different style of football to the players we have with no prospect of changing it because we’re working under a business plan, all because “he knows league 1”?! Paul Jewell and Nigel Pearson knew the championship!! Does that not seem short sighted to you?

Its exactly this approach I hoped Derby wouldn’t follow because it’s what kept Sunderland and Sheff United down here for years, and it’s straight out of the Mel playbook. With the exception of Portsmouth, The teams at the top of the league have inexperienced but talented coaches given time to execute their philosophy.

Why is this straight out of the Mel playbook?

Clowes has been here for a matter of months. Isn’t it too soon to compare him?

He didn’t give Rosenior a three year contract and he is unlikely to give Warne one either.

If he appointed an interim manager to settle things down and navigate the immediate challenges facing the club before bringing in his preferred option, what is wrong with that?

Is there one way to win football matches? Is there one way to be successful? Why do we have to do what Ipswich and Plymouth do?

Also, do we know what Warne’s philosophy will be? Maybe he will look at the squad he inherits and decide what suits them best and what will get the best out of them?

Comparisons to Jewell and Pearson are simply scaremongering.

2 minutes ago, Diego said:

Don’t see any link with NC and LR

We all knew we had a fabulous squad for this division. If I'd spent 53 million on our club and we were on the edge of the playoffs early doors with a rookie manager, still not having sorted out our away form, I'd be thinking " for an extra 750K in compensation I could get better ", I'd be twisting, not sticking.

Don't forget he was a very reluctant fan-buyer. He doesn't have billions. 53 mill is still a massive risk. The only way I would have stuck with Liam at this point is if he was six points clear at the top of the division. Even then I'd be fretting...

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Been going with my dad to the matches for 30 years and don't ever recall him calling for the managers head.

Last Tuesday after the Lincoln match he said he thought Rosenior was out of his depth and, may be a good coach, just not a good manager.

Just for clarity, I am not David Clowes son either.

Tell your dad he was spot on.

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Concerns being expressed about Warne’s ‘style’.  Some of these are quite worrying but will reserve judgement until I’ve seen us play under him.

However, Rowett said when he came that he’d be able to change and adapt his footballing philosophy to the players he had at his disposal. This was proven to be complete horsepoop. He came as an awful negative , back foot, dreary hope to catch people on the break and win 1-0 merchant and that is what he stayed. Hopefully this new chap will be different.

We won 9 games by 3 or more goals that season and stuffed Hull 5-0 and one stage lost 2 in 24. We scored less the following year under Lampard with Mount and Wilson in the team.  This is all in peoples imagination.  Rowett did a solid job bar a freak week against Sunderland and Burton.

If you want proper hoof ball your probably about to get it I reckon.

10 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

From Mr Giddypant RUFC Forum

I was going to post this on the Derby forum, but couldn't be arsed.

I have been supporting Rotherham since 1958. I'm devastated if this is fact, and increasingly it's looking likely. Few of you have done your homework. You share the (previously correct) impression that we are a long-ball team with limited ability to play 'proper' football.

Many of you have voiced doubts that Warney could make best use of your 'talented' team. Fear not. Warney has proved himself adept at utilising the talents of his players. His ambitions have been limited by the resources available to him, not by an ideological devotion to a 'hit and hope' philosophy.

This year we have recruited players who add to the pool of talent we had last year. Except for Warney's first year in the job we have seen a progressive development in terms of player recruitment and positive achievements on, and off, the field.

As a man manager I doubt there are few better at this level. He has personalty and wit. I love the man and what he has done for my club.

Think yourselves lucky.

Feel free to copy and paste.

PS, with any luck he'll be sacked within the year and come back 'home'.

Thats sounds to me the sort of thing I'd love to hear from the Rotherham fans....

I am very far from a football purist. Indeed, I struggle with the idea that possession based tedium is good football whilst direct, attacking tactics are some kind of monstrosity. 

But I don't get the argument that a manager only plays direct football through lack of resources and will miraculously turn into Asene Wenger with better quality players. Surely, a manager has a basic philosophy which has brought them to the point where a 'bigger' (no slight at Rotherham - my Dad had a season there and I've always had a soft spot for them) club targets them? What makes anyone think that Warne would be successful if he manages in a completely different way? 

Nigel Pearson puts his failure here down to trying not to change things too much and ending up being Pearson lite...which was a disaster for everyone. If Warne joins, he needs to be his own man, even if the purists object to some actual excitement. 

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Random manager choices (as Warne clearly is, in no way a good fit for Derby in terms of personnel to fit his style of play or experience of this size of club ) is exactly what will ensure we’re in league 1 for years 

How do you know this is random?

How do you know this group of players can’t flourish under Warne?

Is his ‘style of play’ set in stone? Do we have a squad of solely technical footballers who can only play one way?

Is it possible he could adjust it to a different club with a different squad and considerably better facilities and resources?

It all remains to be seen.

But given Clowes quite possibly made an interim appointment to give himself breathing space to make a permanent appointment, to suggest it is random and ill thought out seems counter intuitive.