England Nations League Squad

Van der MoodHoover

14 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Does Southgate watch that and think 1-0 down to Italy is pretty good?

Yes:
"It’s difficult for me to be too critical of the performance,” he said. “We had more possession, more shots, more shots on target. For large parts we played very well. We didn’t deal with the decisive moment defensively and we had moments to be more decisive in their final third and our quality wasn’t quite right.

“I thought there were a lot of positives tonight. A lot of good individual performances. I personally thought the performance was a step in the right direction but I perfectly understand that because of the result that’s not going to be the reaction.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/23/gareth-southgate-calls-england-defeat-to-italy-a-step-in-right-direction

4 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Hopefully the FA will wake up sooner rather than later, the squad and the country need a change

It's not going to happen, The FA are as culpable as Southgate, Quaffing their faces with food and drink, Jollys around the globe, Free entry to all internationals, An expense account Kwarsi Kwerteng would endorse.

Southgate is an FA man, Nice, Too bloody nice, Doesn't upset a cart load of apples, Hugs and shakes his players hands after the game, Applauds a booing crowd, Then says we're moving forward, Just what the FA like ?

40 minutes ago, JfR said:

Yes:
"It’s difficult for me to be too critical of the performance,” he said. “We had more possession, more shots, more shots on target. For large parts we played very well. We didn’t deal with the decisive moment defensively and we had moments to be more decisive in their final third and our quality wasn’t quite right.

“I thought there were a lot of positives tonight. A lot of good individual performances. I personally thought the performance was a step in the right direction but I perfectly understand that because of the result that’s not going to be the reaction.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/23/gareth-southgate-calls-england-defeat-to-italy-a-step-in-right-direction

Never heard relegation called a step in the right direction before ?

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Just seen Southgates after match interview with the BBC. He said he thought last night was a step in the right direction, not sure which direction he means.

How is relegation to League B a step in the right direction? We will now play less good teams next time round which isn't really what we want in preparation for major tournaments. It will essentially be like friendlies again. No opportunity to win the nations League either. We will also now be put in pot B for the next euros draw meaning we will face a tougher group. 

I’m going to provide some balance and will be prepared to be shot down. 

The mere fact Southgate is the most successful England manager since Alf Ramsey means he deserves to be given this tournament. 

People will jump on the Maguire selection but it was a mistake from Walker that cost us and Walker would be in most people’s starting 11. 

Injuries don’t help, Pope is a problem because he can’t play out that will be resolved when Pickford comes back in. Didn’t get Saka at left wing-back, where was Chilwell, but we’ve got to remember Chilwell is coming back from a long lay off, Southgate doesn’t have many left back options. 

Other than Saka playing out of position (maybe necessity as people would’ve slated him for starting shaw), the Maguire selection and Pope. The remaining 9 players would probably in most people’s starting elevens, it’s more attacking as he moved away from the double pivot playing Rice and Bellingham but maybe wanted extra protection which is why he went 3 at the back. 

From what I saw last night (I didn’t see the first 20 mins when Italy were on top), we looked ok, looked threatening but final ball wasn’t quite on it (is that Southgate or the players) and some last ditch Bonucci defending prevented chances on a few occasions. They had chances late when the game was stretched. In terms of being a step in the right direction, it was a lot better than the summer games which were truly dire. Yes we need to improve but there wasn’t much in that game and Italy away is always a tough proposition. I think the media are whipping this up to be more than it is and I think Southgate is dealing with it brilliantly , blocking out the the noise having the courage of his convictions is what we need from him. 

Southgate has earned this tournament, he will be judged on it. We need minimum semi finals and even then there would have to be a conversation about his future. If we underperform I think he will walk anyway. 

Personally with Pickford back and a left back playing left back (or Trippier who is the only right back I’d trust to play there), come the tournament I think we’ll do ok and find form. We have a good 11. 

I've always backed Southgate and he has earned the right to take us to the world cup no doubt.

The problem I have is that since the euros we have looked poor and the results reflect that. The performances just aren't good. We are slow, predictable, we just don't create anything.

The problem wasn't that we lost 1-0 to Italy. They scored, who cares? The problem is that we don't look like we're going to score. As soon as that goal went in it was game over.

How can this be when we have all these players? These players who do it for their clubs and have played well for England in the not too distant past. It seems that it doesn't matter who he selects, we get the same outcome. Dire football.

Something has to change and Southgate has to change it. We need quicker, braver football from this England team that we know they have in them.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I've always backed Southgate and he has earned the right to take us to the world cup no doubt.

The problem I have is that since the euros we have looked poor and the results reflect that. The performances just aren't good. We are slow, predictable, we just don't create anything.

The problem wasn't that we lost 1-0 to Italy. They scored, who cares? The problem is that we don't look like we're going to score. As soon as that goal went in it was game over.

How can this be when we have all these players? These players who do it for their clubs and have played well for England in the not too distant past. It seems that it doesn't matter who he selects, we get the same outcome. Dire football.

Something has to change and Southgate has to change it. We need quicker, braver football from this England team that we know they have in them.

Only way Southgate is changing it is by resigning. 

These glorified friendlies against top opposition helps to build fitness and iron out tactical or selection issues ahead of the major tournaments.

I’m sure Southgate would view it a positive exercise, regardless of the result.

While of course when you step onto the field you want to win the game, the results in this glorified friendly league are really irrelevant.

We have a good World Cup group to gain confidence from and ultimately the luck of the draw will determine how far we go.

We all know the moment we play a good team we generally lose. Let’s hope we can eradicate that in December.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

These glorified friendlies against top opposition helps to build fitness and iron out tactical or selection issues ahead of the major tournaments.

I’m sure Southgate would view it a positive exercise, regardless of the result.

While of course when you step onto the field you want to win the game, the results in this glorified friendly league are really irrelevant.

We have a good World Cup group to gain confidence from and ultimately the luck of the draw will determine how far we go.

We all know the moment we play a good team we generally lose. Let’s hope we can eradicate that in December.

Regardless of what you think of the Nations League, relegation means it’s now harder for us to qualify for tournaments.

3 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Regardless of what you think of the Nations League, relegation means it’s now harder for us to qualify for tournaments.

Back to when I was a kid and qualifying was really like an extension of the tournament proper. Groups of 4, only 1 going through and usually at least one other hard to beat team. 

Recently it's been more processional, with England v a load of minnows. 

Been found out now tho. And this was not even due to blooding a load of new players. 

13 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

I’m not really sure how it works. But the next tournament to qualify for is the 2024 European Championships.

24 teams now qualify. That means two automatically from 10 groups.

England will always be seeded high. They will always get an easy group.

And they will get an easy Nations League group too next time around and be able to qualify via that even if they somehow missed out in normal qualifying just like Scotland did.

makes a change going into a World Cup and media and fans are subdued , rather than the hysterical we can win it claims of previous tournaments , Englands squad is going through change again and there is a real lack of depth to centre half , but i believe this negativity will take the pressure off England and maybe we could do well

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

makes a change going into a World Cup and media and fans are subdued , rather than the hysterical we can win it claims of previous tournaments , Englands squad is going through change again and there is a real lack of depth to centre half , but i believe this negativity will take the pressure off England and maybe we could do well

Possibly. We went into world cup 2018 with no real expectation.