Ancestry/MyHeritage DNA

Mostyn6

i can trace both sides of my family to the first and second wave of Norse and Celtic settlers, so over a thousand years, but i am curious about my Celtic roots, as i figure that i am more a Celt than Norse, as during the plagues the Norse stock took a heavy beating and the Celts had a much higher survival rate.  i think i will try this out and see what i can learn.

On a side note, my mother thought that her grandmother was her mother and that her mother was her sister.  She found out one day in school at 12 that it wasn't so. 

18 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm awaiting a kit being delivered

I found out last year through some blood tests for something else that I have an obscure genotype which means I have something called Alpha1 AntiTrypsin Deficiency (A1ATD)

It means that one of my parents has it but we don't know which one, as they are both healthy and in their 80s. And possibly both my kids

Essentially it's marker that means you don't generate as much of the Alpha1 protein which protects your lungs from inflammation. If any of us had been heavy smokers we'd almost certainly all have ended up with chronic emphysema 

Weirdly it's far more prevalent than you'd imagine, because it can be asymptomatic and there is no routine testing for it. Quite important though as if you have a baby with someone else that carries the gene, you have a high risk of a very sickly child

Anyway - it kind of got me interested in genetics. Especially as I just got diagnosed with crohns - which is also supposed to be genetic. Even though no one in my family has it. I don't really suffer any symptoms - which is weird. Especially as the reason I found out was because they just removed half of my colon. They thought I had cancer - but nope it's crohns.. so now i have crohns and half a colon

yay

Are you sure they threw it away.

Worth an ask mate, it could be in a fridge somewhere.

Having said that, if it turns up down the back of a sofa, I'd probably not have them pop it back.

I have haemochromatosis which is hereditary and can cause liver, pancreas and heart issues later on in life.

Rather annoyingly, I am now later on in life so the raging hypochondriac in me is just waiting for something to go wrong.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Also, for everyone that has taken one, have you done it through more than one DNA site to make sure they line up and accurate?

and to digress slightly - has anyone done a dog DNA test to find out a breed mix? Some of the sites offering these seem deeply suspect, with people reporting quite ludicrous results. If your dog looks like a lurcher, it's unlikely that his DNA result of Dachshund x Boston Terrier is accurate ?

Edited by Stive Pesley

5 minutes ago, David said:

I'm getting intrigued now, @Mostyn6, has this revealed your family you didn't know as they had already taken DNA tests and on the database somewhere?

Also, for everyone that has taken one, have you done it through more than one DNA site to make sure they line up and accurate?

Ask away mate. But keep it off FB for now, as I haven't told my family yet and want to do so in person.

Basically, there was a match who was like 4%, which means a link to a grandparent. This match is not showing as a match to any of my maternal matches.

This match turns out to be the grand-daughter of the sister of my biological father. Or more simply, my (unknown) cousin's daughter / my (unknown) Aunt's grand-daughter. The girl in question had taken the DNA test and built a quite impressive family tree.

Prior to uncovering the links to my Biological father, a cousin on my mum's side has gotten well into family tree stuff. Her husband, son, mother (my aunt), father, and loads of her father's family and husband's family had done the DNA stuff. She got onto my brother, and he did it. Then she chipped away at me. With some recent deaths in the family, there were many photos floating about of my Gran in her younger years, and discussions about relatives to my maternal Grandfather, who died before I was born.

I then watched an episode of Long Lost Family or whatever it's called, and then saw an advert for a programme on perhaps Netflix about the Doctor who fathered a load of IVF kids. So I thought I may as well do it.

I chose Ancestry as there was a deal on. But then my cousin said you can upload your DNA to Heritage and other Genome sites. I uploaded to Heritage and it bought similar matches up, but not as many. They also took a £114 payment AFTER I cancelled the Free Trial, and I had to kick off to get the money back.

Just for information, It reveals DNA links by percentage, so my Brother is my top match. But none of my other half-siblings have done it, and had the match I spoke to not done it. I would perhaps not have uncovered what I have over the last week. I have something like 14000 matches, but 13975 of those are <1% match! So very distant.

It does rely on the luck of DNA matches having also taken and submitted a test.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

and to digress slightly - has anyone done a dog DNA test to find out a breed mix? Some of the sites offering these seem deeply suspect, with people reporting quite ludicrous results. If your dog looks like a lurcher, it's unlikely that his DNA result of Dachshund x Boston Terrier is accurate ?

My daughter had one done for her Heinz 57 

Remember those DNA tests by Ancestry and My Heritage are Autosomal DNA not YDNA. Autosomal DNA is only really accurate for 5/6 previous generations. 

A simple explanation for Autosomal DNA

When your born you inherit 50% of your Autosomal DNA from EACH of your parents.

When you have a child he/she inherits 25% of his/her Autosomal DNA from EACH of your parents

When you have a grandchild he/she will inherits 12.5% of his/her Autosomal DNA from EACH of your parents

You can see that Autosomal DNA halves in each successive generation which makes it only really accurate for 5/6 generations.

I did a bit of family tracing once and ended up getting contacted by an American who couldn’t wait to tell her mother she had been in contact with someone who had a family name and lived in a town they had traced their ancestors back to. I bailed out after that I’m not into meeting strangers who think they’re related to me.

52 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I did a bit of family tracing once and ended up getting contacted by an American who couldn’t wait to tell her mother she had been in contact with someone who had a family name and lived in a town they had traced their ancestors back to. I bailed out after that I’m not into meeting strangers who think they’re related to me.

you owe me 18 years worth of pocket money daddy

I took DNA tests from two sites some years ago. They tied in with each other sort of.. 70% Germanic (Anglo Saxon and Danish),   15% Celtic, 8% South Asian, 6% Spanish, or Italian depending which site you look at, and the rest “other”.

fits in with what I know. My great grandmother was a Gujarati who married my great grandfather who was in the Sherwood Foresters based  in India. The Spanish or Italian bit is a mystery but it only takes one trader a thousand years ago from far flung lands who had a fling with a local woman….. I’ve traced one bit of my family tree back to c1720, all farmers in and around Derby but my mum’s side is Welsh. My maternal grandad’s name was John Bach Pugh and his dad was John Bach Pugh (no imagination these Welsh) who came to Derby from the valleys to work at Ley’s. There’s also some Scottish in there as well from the Gunn clan. I’m a real mongrel.

It all reminds me of the old Willie Nelson song I’m My Own Grandpa

Now, many many years ago
When I was twenty three
I was married to a widow
Who was pretty as could be

This widow had a grown-up daughter
Had hair of red
My father fell in love with her
And soon the two were wed

This made my dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life
My daughter was my mother
'Cause she was my father's wife

To complicate the matters
Even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy

My little baby then became
A brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle
Though it made me very sad

For if he was my uncle
That also made him the brother
Of the widow's grown-up daughter
Who, of course, was my step-mother

My father's wife then had a son
That kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild
For he was my daughter's son

My wife is now my mother's mother
And it makes me blue
Because, she is my wife
She's my grandmother too

I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa

On 15/09/2022 at 20:48, Stive Pesley said:

I'm awaiting a kit being delivered

I found out last year through some blood tests for something else that I have an obscure genotype which means I have something called Alpha1 AntiTrypsin Deficiency (A1ATD)

It means that one of my parents has it but we don't know which one, as they are both healthy and in their 80s. And possibly both my kids

Essentially it's marker that means you don't generate as much of the Alpha1 protein which protects your lungs from inflammation. If any of us had been heavy smokers we'd almost certainly all have ended up with chronic emphysema 

Weirdly it's far more prevalent than you'd imagine, because it can be asymptomatic and there is no routine testing for it. Quite important though as if you have a baby with someone else that carries the gene, you have a high risk of a very sickly child

Anyway - it kind of got me interested in genetics. Especially as I just got diagnosed with crohns - which is also supposed to be genetic. Even though no one in my family has it. I don't really suffer any symptoms - which is weird. Especially as the reason I found out was because they just removed half of my colon. They thought I had cancer - but nope it's crohns.. so now i have crohns and half a colon

yay

Sounds tough, Steve. Hope it's the case to say, better Crohn's than cancer, and hope you're able to manage it well. Must be a worry for your kids, but one thing is that medical technology is always improving. Take care.

My folks were childhood sweethearts in Littleover, so it was a surprise to both of them when I took a test and on the paternal line I was all celtic, mainly from Ireland, while on the maternal line I was romany, mainly from Lithuania! Had the results got mixed up? I gave them both their own test and the results were confirmed.