Ancestry/MyHeritage DNA

Mostyn6

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

My folks were childhood sweethearts in Littleover, so it was a surprise to both of them when I took a test and on the paternal line I was all celtic, mainly from Ireland, while on the maternal line I was romany, mainly from Lithuania! Had the results got mixed up? I gave them both their own test and the results were confirmed.

We are a mongrel nation, the only difference between us and todays immigrants is the date we arrived. ?

9 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Yeah but we were here first.

The Neanderthals were here first, many people have Neanderthal DNA in their own DNA makeup.

If you take a YDNA test you can establish your Haplogroup which is best described as your "genetic tribe" you can then track the Tribes journey out of Africa and the DNA Polymorphisms which created other branches of your Haplogroup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup#:~:text=More specifically%2C a haplogroup is,a single line of descent. 

On 15/09/2022 at 21:11, Mostyn6 said:

Well, I'll spill.

I already knew the man I called Dad wasn't my biological so knew I wouldn't have any DNA from that side. However my mother refused to open up about the biological father. Anyway, last Thursday, along with being the day after I got back from Crete, the day of my Gran's first birthday since she died in June, and the day HRH Elizabeth passed away.... I found out I have 4 sisters and 2 brothers I never knew about. More trauma was discovering that one of those sisters died a few years ago and I was actually surprised how much that hurt. I have been speaking to my two younger sisters and one younger brother over the last few days. My biological father is alive and well, although I haven't yet been able to bring myself to speak with him yet. It's a bit too heavy right now.

Actually, that's pretty much the reason I didn't want to go there - I already know I have two half brothers and a half sister but, for me, no thanks. All the best for it, friend of mine had something similar when his Dad died - he found three half brothers and sisters he had no knowledge of. Fortunately, on that one, it worked out quite well and they all get on so let's hope that's were you get to eventually.

I should also say that my family tree on my Father's side was pretty heavily researched by an Australian woman in the 1970s, so I'm not expecting too many surprises on that front. Although I guess it could disprove some of her theories or expose some mistakes

I have a pretty unusual surname in the UK but there are hundreds of us in Australia, because in the 1800s one guy emigrated in the gold rush, and they had to have as many kids as possible because the aborigines would sneak into the camps and kill the babies! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2022 at 21:11, Mostyn6 said:

Well, I'll spill.

I already knew the man I called Dad wasn't my biological so knew I wouldn't have any DNA from that side. However my mother refused to open up about the biological father. Anyway, last Thursday, along with being the day after I got back from Crete, the day of my Gran's first birthday since she died in June, and the day HRH Elizabeth passed away.... I found out I have 4 sisters and 2 brothers I never knew about. More trauma was discovering that one of those sisters died a few years ago and I was actually surprised how much that hurt. I have been speaking to my two younger sisters and one younger brother over the last few days. My biological father is alive and well, although I haven't yet been able to bring myself to speak with him yet. It's a bit too heavy right now.

an update cos a few of you PMd me to check things were ok.

So my younger half-brother is a European champion at Bowls (the one with the little yellow/white ball, that they roll another bigger ball to get near to), and he was playing in the Home Internationals Indoor Bowling tournament over the weekend. Seeing this as an opportunity, I travelled to Rhyl on Saturday morning and met my younger brother (24), younger sister (20), her fiance and my biological father. My brother was reserve, so disappointingly never got to bowl, and it was his birthday weekend too.

My biological father was literally like my dad, but with an accent. The similarities were scarily uncanny. He had lots of stories, and new my gran and older Uncles quite well. It was a nice weekend, if only a bit heavy on my brain and a lot to process.

I'm glad I met them and will do my best to keep a relationship going with them all. I also have another sister I am really eager to meet as she's closer to my age and similar taste in music etc.

Often thought of doing a DNA ancestory check.  I've grown up English through and through but several years ago my Dad, whose own Dad left home when he was a baby in '39 discovered his biological Dad hailed from Wales. From that point my Dad decided he was Welsh ?

We've traced our ancestors back on my Mum's side to a Captain Thomas Thrush, who captained HMS Avon and HMS Garland in the 1800s. We think he was involved in the Battle of Trafalgar (1805). Who knows what we'd find on my Dad's side. 

18 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Often thought of doing a DNA ancestory check.  I've grown up English through and through but several years ago my Dad, whose own Dad left home when he was a baby in '39 discovered his biological Dad hailed from Wales. From that point my Dad decided he was Welsh ?

We've traced our ancestors back on my Mum's side to a Captain Thomas Thrush, who captained HMS Avon and HMS Garland in the 1800s. We think he was involved in the Battle of Trafalgar (1805). Who knows what we'd find on my Dad's side. 

There is a long history of Thrush on my Mum's side too.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

an update cos a few of you PMd me to check things were ok.

So my younger half-brother is a European champion at Bowls (the one with the little yellow/white ball, that they roll another bigger ball to get near to), and he was playing in the Home Internationals Indoor Bowling tournament over the weekend. Seeing this as an opportunity, I travelled to Rhyl on Saturday morning and met my younger brother (24), younger sister (20), her fiance and my biological father. My brother was reserve, so disappointingly never got to bowl, and it was his birthday weekend too.

My biological father was literally like my dad, but with an accent. The similarities were scarily uncanny. He had lots of stories, and new my gran and older Uncles quite well. It was a nice weekend, if only a bit heavy on my brain and a lot to process.

I'm glad I met them and will do my best to keep a relationship going with them all. I also have another sister I am really eager to meet as she's closer to my age and similar taste in music etc.

I did wonder why you was in Rhyl admiring the brown waters, thought it would be rude to ask 

11 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Crohns; yay ?

Sorry if that offends. Thought you'd appreciate some dark punctuation based humour.

Trust me, I laughed - and laughter is about the only thing I have to hang on to these days

Weirdly i'd never even thought about the obvious Semi-colon joke

I'm using that one and no can stop me!

3 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Ahhh there’s the downside of doing it ,,,,you could turn out to be Welsh ??‍♂️