Bielik at Brum

Ramrob

3 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Simple bad luck for us regarding Bielik and now all we can do is to cut our losses unfourtunately. Shows however why a club below the premier league really can't take this kind of huge risk on individual players. One injury and the coming seasons are affected. Lessons learnt I guess, altough at some great expense.

Even at the time it seemed a REALLY strange signing to me. Out of context with the rest of our transfer activity and how it felt the land lay. Pretty unproven and massively disproportionate outlay for our standing.

“Sorry but been rubbish since the WC. Looks suspiciously like he did his best before it to be included and now doesn’t give a rats. He must be well aware of the apparent interest in him from Europe etc (not sure why). 
He was our best player but right now looks a complete shadow. It’s as if we have a 36 year old doing his best to hold the middle” - SHA Forum

Thanks for paying his wages Brummies! ?

Edited by Biley66

On 14/01/2023 at 22:04, jimtastic56 said:

Brum have lost 4 on the spin now after shipping 4 goals v Bristol City. Beilik played 85 mins shielding the back 4. Brum seem to be on a downward spiral.

I would have had some sympathy as I think they could be in real strife not too far down the road, but while I reckon the party when we die thing was little more than banter for some fans, there was a pretty unpleasant undercurrent from their lot.

Won't be having a party as such, but won't be losing much sleep either.

On 14/01/2023 at 08:34, Chester40 said:

Even at the time it seemed a REALLY strange signing to me. Out of context with the rest of our transfer activity and how it felt the land lay. Pretty unproven and massively disproportionate outlay for our standing.

Then when you consider we already had Huddlestone, Evans, Thorne, Holmes, Bird, Shinnie, Knight and were about to sign Rooney.

Yeah, there’s arguments against all of those midfielders and Bielik’s the best of the lot but £10,000,000 or whatever we spent? Really?

£7m basic plus add-ons is the most reliable figure I've seen and with money from the playoffs and compo for Lampard, it didn't seem so outlandish, because we didn't spend much more that summer. It wasn't clear at the time how rapidly the club's debts were accruing, nor that Mel was running out of money to invest and all the rest. With the knowledge we now have, it's clear that the priority should have been debt reduction and low cost additions while preparing for the gathering storm. 

A fit Bielek, like a fit Thorne or Barnes before him, could have earned us anything between £5-10m profit, but the ownership never considered what would happen if he got injured. 

On 14/01/2023 at 08:13, Chester40 said:

I find it fascinating watching Frank Lampard now and he's clearly aware of the mannerisms he's had (frowning, being serious/intense and then joke/laugh big smile, on repeat) and he's obviously battling to not do it so much. 

Not sure it’s a battle, reckon he might be finding it easy not to smile these days 

On 14/01/2023 at 20:12, Biley66 said:

“Sorry but been rubbish since the WC. Looks suspiciously like he did his best before it to be included and now doesn’t give a rats. He must be well aware of the apparent interest in him from Europe etc (not sure why). 
He was our best player but right now looks a complete shadow. It’s as if we have a 36 year old doing his best to hold the middle” - SHA Forum

Thanks for paying his wages Brummies! ?

Maybe he’s got a good move lined up and  his form reflects that he’s trying to avoid injury. 

I think his confidence has probably taken a pretty big dent due to the hammer he got at the World Cup for poor performances, no surprise that’s carried on into form for Birmingham. 

If he can’t get his head right quickly, then it’s probably good that we can depend on them to pay his wages for the second part of the season. An out of form, injury prone midfielder on £30k a week, isn’t going to do us many favours. 

Hopefully he turns it around! 

47 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

He confirmed back in 2019 that AC Milan made an offer for him before we moved in. He seems a really decent lad who’s had rotten luck with his injuries. Sliding doors and all that.

Did Mel outbid AC Milan then? FFS another stupid amount of money wasted by Morris - he could have looked back and seen how much he'd wasted previously... I'm only happy about it if it helped push Morris out financially.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Did Mel outbid AC Milan then? FFS another stupid amount of money wasted by Morris - he could have looked back and seen how much he'd wasted previously... I'm only happy about it if it helped push Morris out financially.

When Beilik was purchased, Cocu had Rosenior with him as the “Championship expert” . Did he scout Beilik or was it Mclarens son? All I know is that at the time we could have got Ollie Watkins and Benrama combined for less money. (Please don’t come back with the excuse that Exeter messed MEL about).

24 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

When Beilik was purchased, Cocu had Rosenior with him as the “Championship expert” . Did he scout Beilik or was it Mclarens son? All I know is that at the time we could have got Ollie Watkins and Benrama combined for less money. (Please don’t come back with the excuse that Exeter messed MEL about).

Think Watkins was 2017 so earlier by a fair bit earlier. Benrahma was signed by Brentford in 2018 although we could certainly have signed him .  Brentford took 2.7 mill from us for Joozefzoon - another 10 game wonder we just had to have and used the fee to sign him.

2 hours ago, rad1919 said:

He confirmed back in 2019 that AC Milan made an offer for him before we moved in. He seems a really decent lad who’s had rotten luck with his injuries. Sliding doors and all that.

He's talking b******* then . Much as Derbys a great club, the only player who'll ever turn down a contract at AC Milan to come here is Eranio and that's because after 10 years there winning everything he was bored.

16 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's talking b******* then . Much as Derbys a great club, the only player who'll ever turn down a contract at AC Milan to come here is Eranio and that's because after 10 years there winning everything he was bored.

And we were caked in Premier League cash.