Why Knight should start at RB

brady1993

Knighty is fine at RB. He’s a good footballer all round. What we need and have needed for 3+ years is a central player who gets close to our CF on a regular basis, or alternatively, midfield runners eager to get close to the box at the first opportunity thus providing close support to the front man. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Who would you play there instead, based on the current squad

I'd be tempted to try Smith or play Fossy at CH and move Stearman to RB. But "based on current squad" is too constraining - just go out and get a FB in. There must be somebody who can cut it in L1 who isn't getting first team football at their club? 

It's concerning that LR says he might just keep Knight there. If I was Knight, I'd be looking elsewhere. he needs game time in his natural position. 

4 hours ago, RedSox said:

I understand the point you are making here @Orphanram, but aren't you forgetting he has had a major part in us getting 6 of the 7 points we have so far?  Goal vs Oxford and the delightful ball to Barks for the lay off to NM-L against Barnsley.   Fwiw, I'd be sticking with him - at least for the next 2/3 games before any thoughts of dropping him.  The guy is clearly a class act and we need that kind of inspiration to open up teams with limited ambitions of playing an open style of football this season. 

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I agree with your comments about Hourihane. My only thoughts on sticking with him are that it’s a fitness thing and he needs a run of games

Can’t argue with either of your points too much. I just think we have got a bit of flexibility to try to change things up a bit with how much possession/dominance we are seeing in games.

34 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I think Jason Knight impresses at any position, he's a talented all rounder and if we'd just signed him this summer as an unknown RB, we'd all be agreeing he's pretty decent.

However, suggesting he's better playing at RB is just what the OP said it is: playing devils advocate. It's a fun debate exercise and an interesting post as usual from @brady1993 but I strongly disagree.

Arguably our best player, who has played in midfield his entire professional career, unsurprisingly is best used in midfield.

For me, he's what we're missing in the midfield of Hourihane and Bird, someone with energy and bite who can make runs in behind as well as defend from the front. If he played at 10 or as an 8 he'd get a much better goal return too, his Derby goal tally is actually a bit  disappointing but we've never seen him play consistently in one position. If he's the furthest forward in this midfield, he will get goals.

A lot of people believe in Sibley but I'm a Knight believer. He's got Sibley's aggression without the bookings, the best way I can put it is Sibley is reckless whereas Knight is brave.

Playing Knight at RB to squeeze Sibley (or Smith) into the starting XI doesn't sit right with me, Sibley needs to break into that line up on his own merit. He's had a long time to break into this team and do what Knight has been doing for years; regularly starting games.

RB should be the priority transfer target because Knight's earned the right to start in midfield. <Hear! Hear!>

4 hours ago, David said:

I think this backs up the point I made in my earlier post about Knight dropping off deep to contest the run to the byline and allowing the deep cross. If you watch any of the games back it’s happened more often than you’d normally see with a  conventional RB playing.

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I'd be tempted to try Smith or play Fossy at CH and move Stearman to RB. But "based on current squad" is too constraining - just go out and get a FB in. There must be somebody who can cut it in L1 who isn't getting first team football at their club? 

It's concerning that LR says he might just keep Knight there. If I was Knight, I'd be looking elsewhere. he needs game time in his natural position. 

Stearman at RB with Fozzy at CB sounds like an accident waiting to happen

He is looking for a RB but it's not easy to 'just go out and get one'  when we can't pay transfer fees,  loan fees or agents fees. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

But the title is "why Knight should start at RB".

The point is - he shouldn't. Did you ever see charlie george play Centre Half? 

No, I did see him play in more than one position though, and give MOTM performances in them. Good players are often capable of doing that. 

2 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

Football is so much about opinions and interpretation.

The facts, as shown on the diagram, simply show the opposition's dominance in our right back's area where we should be stronger.

It may or may not be down to Knight's ability as a right back.

It may or may not be down to NML not helping out.

It's Liam and the team's job to identify possible issues like this and find a solution.

Currently the diagram shows we have a weakness, which I'm sure the opposition will exploit.

55% of touches in an area doesn't necessarily show dominance though, you could say it shows that we're simply happy to let the opposition have the ball in those areas because of how we organise ourselves in the middle to nullify the danger of crosses from that side.

Plenty of teams set up to let the opposition have possession safe in the knowledge they're I likely to do anything with it.

You'd also fully expect that with fullbacks playing an inverted role we'd have fewer touches in those wider areas, it's pretty much mirrored on the other side but we could be talking 3-5% more touches between the square being one colour and another, it's nothing really.

Without suitable context Its only your opinion that the diagram shows a weakness, telling me that football is all about opinions and interpretations and then saying using the word fact/facts in your post is oxymoronic 

Edited by Coconut's Beard

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Imagine someone telling Harry Redknapp he shouldn't be playing Bale on the wing because he's a LB, Pep Guardiola playing Lahm at DM, Mascherano CB, Schweinsteiger at CM when he started as a RM, etc...

Don't forget Nigel Clough and Dean Moxey up front

6 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

He's doing well at RB but just imagine how well he would be doing if he was in the midfield

Playing where he currently is means he's now running on to the ball on the edge of their box and getting shots in. Playing Knight further forward, at CM, actually results in us having fewer players in the box and reduces our goal threat.

Actually think we’re in a bit of a quandary with Knight. As far as I can see we have 5 options. 

- Play him as first choice right back all season. How happy he’ll be about that I don’t know. Some will argue that we’re wasting his talents at RB as well. 

- Providing we get an half decent offer sell him. Anything over £3m could well be considered. 

- We sign a right back and he plays either right wing or CAM. I’d argue this isn’t ideal as he doesn’t have the trickery, pace or creativity to be a demon in these positions.

- He plays in the 2 DM positions which I also don’t think will work. 

- He plays in a midfield 3 in the Bryson role. This would be my choice but so far LR hasn’t plumped for this formation at all. 

He seems to be a very good player that in true Derby fashion can’t be utilised to his and our benefit.

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Imagine someone telling Harry Redknapp he shouldn't be playing Bale on the wing because he's a LB, Pep Guardiola playing Lahm at DM, Mascherano CB, Schweinsteiger at CM when he started as a RM, etc...

I have nothing against him at right-back, just think we miss him in midfield 

Solid, dependable and immense there again yesterday. The masked marauder up front for them yesterday obviously fancied his chances of getting some change out of Knighty.

Time and again he dropped off into that area of the pitch only to be foiled over and over by our Irish terrier. He was eventually withdrawn a beaten man. Keep up the good work Knighty son.