This year's scapegoat

7 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I have been watching Derby County for close on 50 years and rarely has there been a season where the fans haven't singled a player out for unfair criticism.

After last season when the fans tended to get behind most of the players, will we have the resolution to carry that on, or will we revert to type and do our best to destroy the confidence of at least one scapegoat?

After reading many of the comments following the friendlies, my personal opinion is that James Chester is starting from a point where our fans will quickly turn against him if WE don't start well and if he continues to get in ahead of Chashin. Neither of these issues can be completely controlled by Chester but I feel that he is the early front runner.

Cause he is Welsh,  same old story lol ? 

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

I'll go with the ultimate happy clapper Rosenior. The team is certainly good enough, but if the results are not great from the start, it's on him.

The team  " is certainly good enough "  for what? There is a vast gulf between the  different expectations of fans ( going by whats posted on here) and those thinking we can get promotion  at the first attempt may well be disappointed. At the very least they will need patience  given the fact we have so many newcomers . Hope we can be competitive and win a few games .. that may have to be sufficient and anything else a bonus. That patience needs to extend to Rosenior  if you think " its on him " . He has had only a short time to try to integrate the players. No problems with Rosenior not being  critical of the players at this stage.

I'm hoping that no one this season will be continuously singled out unfairly for their performance.  Nothing undermines confidence more than than continual criticism. Most of us have experienced that at some time in our lives and it is horrid and doesn't help to improve a miserable situation one jot.

I hope that every member of the team is encouraged and supported, especially when they are finding it tough for whatever reason. With lots of encouragement and support most of us get there in the end.

Last season the fans and the team created the most amazing atmosphere of support I have ever seen  and I really hope this feeling of positivity continues this season, tempered, of course, with patience.

Lots of 'hopes' in this, I know, but it's taken a long time to get to this point and I'm finally going to relax and enjoy this season and support every member of our hard working team!

I Hope Friendship GIF by Hallmark Channel

Edited by Miggins

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

We've elected Boycie as the mods scapegoat this season.

Good idea!

For some reason he calls me Uncle Albert.

Still, I suppose 

Only fools and horses work

Scapegoats get the blame,

It's the rich what gets the pleasure

And it's all a bloomin' shame!

6 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Looking at tonight's match thread, that togetherness and backing the team lasted a long time didnt it? Crikey.
Perhaps we can have role reversal and have certain posters as scapegoats this season who seem intent on totally destroying certain players not just discussing the match objectively 

I think it’s fair to say that a lot of ‘fans’ have been storing this up for a year. Most of the usual suspects were cowed by the massive levels of positivity and togetherness last season and knew that their usual brand of utter b’llcks would not be tolerated.

The shackles are off this season and you can already sense the knives being sharpened. The very fact there is a thread debating who the scapegoat will be tells you something (even if started with good intentions).  

The previously toxic atmosphere at Pride Park disappeared last year. I hope it continues this season, but I fear a few poor games and it will get grim again.  We obviously need a bogey man to distract us from the odd misplaced pass. Frankly, I’d be more than happy spending another season focussing our negativity toward the Efl; a common foe, rather than digging out kids for not being up to our lofty standards.

16 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Looking at tonight's match thread, that togetherness and backing the team lasted a long time didnt it? Crikey.
Perhaps we can have role reversal and have certain posters as scapegoats this season who seem intent on totally destroying certain players not just discussing the match objectively 

I'm sure there was plenty of criticism on this forum last season even when we had that "togetherness" (our abysmal away record and performances for example). So, in some ways, not much has changed. What's far more important than any views expressed on this forum is that we stay behind the team at the games regardless of how things go. In some ways this forum is a safe place to let off steam (just as long as the players aren't daft enough to come on here).