Ryan Glover

Sean

Don’t get this one really. He’s 21 and hasn’t played at any decent level yet. What makes us think he can step us from the National League Premier to League One? That’s a huge jump for a player already his age. He’ll have no doubt been playing 4-4-2 lump it football at Aldershot too, which is (hopefully) nothing like we’ll be playing. Just don’t see where he fits in at his age here.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t get this one really. He’s 21 and hasn’t played at any decent level yet. What makes us think he can step us from the National League Premier to League One? That’s a huge jump for a player already his age. He’ll have no doubt been playing 4-4-2 lump it football at Aldershot too, which is (hopefully) nothing like we’ll be playing. Just don’t see where he fits in at his age here.

Was well thought off at Bournemouth injuries have stalled his development the last couple of seasons. Maybe worth a one year deal for U23 and see how he goes

He looked solid yesterday. 21 is still a young age. Can’t believe people are slating him because he hasn’t ‘made it’ yet. Jamie Vardy played non league until he was 25. Ryan can come in and be a decent player for the u23s and probably a good squad option in the first team. Thought we learnt to never write players off after CKR

2 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

He looked solid yesterday. 21 is still a young age. Can’t believe people are slating him because he hasn’t ‘made it’ yet. Jamie Vardy played non league until he was 25. Ryan can come in and be a decent player for the u23s and probably a good squad option in the first team. Thought we learnt to never write players off after CKR

Any news on the ?☎️ Big Trav ?

13 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Was well thought off at Bournemouth injuries have stalled his development the last couple of seasons. Maybe worth a one year deal for U23 and see how he goes

Bournemouth don’t exactly have an amazing academy though, so that’s not hugely indicative of quality. The injuries concern me even more to be fair, we’ve seen a number of young players (Thorne, Bielik etc) struggle to reach their potential because of repeated spells on the sidelines. Not sure we want another. It’s the U21s now remember, which is an important point, as I think that now makes Glover too old for our youth teams really imo. He’d be wanting first team football surely.

39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I know. It’s like Actuaries. Don’t get why anyone might want to employ a 21 year old, wet behind his ears, just out of “Uni’. I mean there are loads of experienced, mean street Actuaries out there, many with facial hair, and they opt for someone totally unproven at this level.  You couldn’t make it up.

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I know. It’s like Actuaries. Don’t get why anyone might want to employ a 21 year old, wet behind his ears, just out of “Uni’. I mean there are loads of experienced, mean street Actuaries out there, many with facial hair, and they opt for someone totally unproven at this level.  You couldn’t make it up.

Yeah because my job and a footballer are entirely comparable. You start training to be a footballer at 6 years old, you don’t start training to be an Actuary until you leave Uni (although you do need previous maths experience). An actuary has to go through 5 years of training, not even qualified until mid/late 20s, when most footballers are at their peak. Senior level reached probably at the age most footballers have retired. Entirely incomparable. 21 is not young for a footballer, especially not a winger who generally peak earlier than say a centre back.

Edited by Millenniumram

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah because my job and a footballer are entirely comparable. You start training to be a footballer at 6 years old, you don’t start training to be an Actuary until you leave Uni (although you do need previous maths experience). An actuary has to go through 5 years of training, not even qualified until mid/late 20s, when most footballers are at their peak. Senior level reached probably at the age most footballers have retired. Entirely incomparable. 21 is not young for a footballer, especially not a winger who generally peak earlier than say a centre back.

It’s being about two young men given the opportunity to prove themselves. You seem to want to write off one based on 45 minutes of fitness training. I do hope, sincerely, that your new firm will give you a bit more time to evidence potential. 

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It’s being about two young men given the opportunity to prove themselves. You seem to want to write off one based on 45 minutes of fitness training. I do hope, sincerely, that your new firm will give you a bit more time to evidence potential. 

First of all, I’m not writing him off based on his performance yesterday. I thought he looked relatively ok, but as you say, it was a fitness test, so I don’t take any note of pre-season performances, positively or negatively.

I’m basing my view on his career to date. Spending last season in the National League, not starting every game and managing a grand total of 3 goals doesn’t scream way above that level to me. 

As I say, footballers follow very different career trajectory’s to most other careers. A 21 year old actuary, or any other professional office job, is roughly akin to a 16 year old footballer. If Glover was 16, clearly I’d be more than willing to sign him up and give the chance to develop. But as it is, he’s 21, which is roughly equivalent to probably a 30 year old in most careers. If I’m 30 and I haven’t made it as an actuary, my firm would let me go, without a shadow of a doubt (which is scary!).

I wouldn’t even get a chance to drop down a level, it’s game over. Whereas Glover I’m sure will make a decent career for himself at National League level. But simply put, if he was going to make it at League One level, he’d be performing at a higher level by now. 

I'd probably like to see 2 more wide players in and I'd be very happy for us to take a chance on a national league player for one of them. Isaiah Jones and sorba Thomas were two of the best wide players I saw in the championship last season (along with red dog Johnson I hate to say) and I believe both were snapped up from that level weren't they?

Remember reading there were a couple of Notts County and Chesterfield lads with impressive numbers, wouldn't be against trying someone like that. I have no knowledge of that level to really comment though