Ryan Glover

Sean

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

First of all, I’m not writing him off based on his performance yesterday. I thought he looked relatively ok, but as you say, it was a fitness test, so I don’t take any note of pre-season performances, positively or negatively.

I’m basing my view on his career to date. Spending last season in the National League, not starting every game and managing a grand total of 3 goals doesn’t scream way above that level to me. 

As I say, footballers follow very different career trajectory’s to most other careers. A 21 year old actuary, or any other professional office job, is roughly akin to a 16 year old footballer. If Glover was 16, clearly I’d be more than willing to sign him up and give the chance to develop. But as it is, he’s 21, which is roughly equivalent to probably a 30 year old in most careers. If I’m 30 and I haven’t made it as an actuary, my firm would let me go, without a shadow of a doubt (which is scary!).

I wouldn’t even get a chance to drop down a level, it’s game over. Whereas Glover I’m sure will make a decent career for himself at National League level. But simply put, if he was going to make it at League One level, he’d be performing at a higher level by now. 

When you get time you should read up on the World Cup goal record holder with 16 goals.

C654A77F-295B-4F24-9428-508A361026DE.jpeg

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

When you get time you should read up on the World Cup goal record holder with 16 goals.

C654A77F-295B-4F24-9428-508A361026DE.jpeg

I’m well aware of who Miroslav Klose is. He was playing Bundesliga football by age 22, as far as I can see. A late bloomer for sure, but he was hardly playing non-league. He was a striker as well, which is a position where players tend to reach their peak later than wingers such as Glover, especially with the style he played with. Irrespective, the odd exception of a late bloomer doesn’t break the general rule. You wouldn’t snap up every decent player from Halifax just because Jamie Vardy didn’t do too bad.

3 minutes ago, enachops said:

Ah bugger, I’ve realised the first negative of us coming out of administration - @Millenniumram talking absolute gibberish on every single transfer rumour! 

That’s a bit unfair. He’s entitled to his views which are made eloquently. Don’t agree with him on Sibley though ?

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

He looked solid yesterday. 21 is still a young age. Can’t believe people are slating him because he hasn’t ‘made it’ yet. Jamie Vardy played non league until he was 25. Ryan can come in and be a decent player for the u23s and probably a good squad option in the first team. Thought we learnt to never write players off after CKR

Late bloomers:- Tony Book (Man City) league debut at 26,  Roger Davies (DCFC) playing non league at Worcester until he was 21 Ian Wright (22) Kevin Phillips (21)  Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (21) .....etc.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

First of all, I’m not writing him off based on his performance yesterday. I thought he looked relatively ok, but as you say, it was a fitness test, so I don’t take any note of pre-season performances, positively or negatively.

I’m basing my view on his career to date. Spending last season in the National League, not starting every game and managing a grand total of 3 goals doesn’t scream way above that level to me. 

As I say, footballers follow very different career trajectory’s to most other careers. A 21 year old actuary, or any other professional office job, is roughly akin to a 16 year old footballer. If Glover was 16, clearly I’d be more than willing to sign him up and give the chance to develop. But as it is, he’s 21, which is roughly equivalent to probably a 30 year old in most careers. If I’m 30 and I haven’t made it as an actuary, my firm would let me go, without a shadow of a doubt (which is scary!).

I wouldn’t even get a chance to drop down a level, it’s game over. Whereas Glover I’m sure will make a decent career for himself at National League level. But simply put, if he was going to make it at League One level, he’d be performing at a higher level by now. 

My minds blown reading that. 

11 hours ago, MickD said:

Late bloomers:- Tony Book (Man City) league debut at 26,  Roger Davies (DCFC) playing non league at Worcester until he was 21 Ian Wright (22) Kevin Phillips (21)  Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (21) .....etc.

Not outfield player but Nick Pope 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Glover looked decent enough against Bradford to perhaps get another game. McDonald I thought was largely anonymous in the same game. Guess Glover didn’t show enough in training/the Bradford game and/or Liam thinks we have better options.

31 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I thought Glover looked decent enough against Bradford to perhaps get another game. McDonald I thought was largely anonymous in the same game. Guess Glover didn’t show enough in training/the Bradford game and/or Liam thinks we have better options.

I agree. I thought Glover showed more in the Bradford game than Diallo did last night, although possibly down to the whole team performing / not performing. Glover also seemed comfortable on the left which is the weaker side IMO. NML a clear winner for the starting spot on the right at the moment, but Barkhuizen and Knight are also better on that side than the left.

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I agree. I thought Glover showed more in the Bradford game than Diallo did last night, although possibly down to the whole team performing / not performing. Glover also seemed comfortable on the left which is the weaker side IMO. NML a clear winner for the starting spot on the right at the moment, but Barkhuizen and Knight are also better on that side than the left.

I agree with all of that.

NML just looks like he's got the ability to change a game and teams really have to be wary of him. And I'm not sure the same can be said about Barkhuizen or Knight who both are a bit more straight forward to defend against.