Premier League | 22/23 Season

Day

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I know everyone is focused on Man U and getting over excited, but I’m quietly a bit fascinated with Liverpool and their start to the season too.

I know they have had a few changes in personnel, but it’s whether those changes are going to be better than what they had. If I was a Liverpool fan the big concern for me is that they are still playing in the style when they league two season ago and whether that’s now becoming a bit stale, especially when City have made tweaks and have clearly improved on what hey had. It’s obviously too early in the season to really have too much of an opinion (much like it is with Man U btw!), but I do wonder how much has Kloppball now been worked out and whether Klopp is willing to change. What I do get a sense of around those who associate with Liverpool as well is that there is now a lot more expectation and a bit of cockiness which I don’t think helps.

Who knows, they could go on a winning steak now, I just sense there are other teams (City + Arsenal especially) that come across far more prepared for this season. 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wasn't Kloppball that gegenpressing thing that many others have now copied? 

Credit Klopp for doing something new, but a bit like bielsa, can he evolve further or is he a busted flush? 

I think the weird thing is this is what Rowettball was striving to be at Derby, but you need the players to do it or else it becomes a quite boring and negative style. I mean I don’t even consider Liverpool and entertaining side to watch when they are at their best, but it gets worse when you add in championship players doing it!

30 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think the weird thing is this is what Rowettball was striving to be at Derby, but you need the players to do it or else it becomes a quite boring and negative style. I mean I don’t even consider Liverpool and entertaining side to watch when they are at their best, but it gets worse when you add in championship players doing it!

Could not disagree with this much more. Rowett was literally nothing like anything Klopp has ever done tactically.

34 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Liverpool are the most entertaining team to watch in the Premier League by far.

Rowettball is in a completely different library to the Klopp tactical book, the only similarities if you were to pull is that both managers ask the players to kick a football.

23 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

There’s a huge difference in what Rowett wanted t do and what he could do. 

So, 442, defensive, long ball, knock downs etc vs. 433, very high line, extreme pressing... 

There's no similarities whatsoever other than it's football.

4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I'm with Srg on this one. I see where you're coming from in that Rowett wanted to hit teams on the counter and quickly shift the ball forwards, but this was always from deep. There was no pressing high by our forwards and midfield and I saw nothing that made me think Rowett intended to do this.

8 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I know everyone is focused on Man U and getting over excited, but I’m quietly a bit fascinated with Liverpool and their start to the season too.

I know they have had a few changes in personnel, but it’s whether those changes are going to be better than what they had. If I was a Liverpool fan the big concern for me is that they are still playing in the style when they league two season ago and whether that’s now becoming a bit stale, especially when City have made tweaks and have clearly improved on what hey had. It’s obviously too early in the season to really have too much of an opinion (much like it is with Man U btw!), but I do wonder how much has Kloppball now been worked out and whether Klopp is willing to change. What I do get a sense of around those who associate with Liverpool as well is that there is now a lot more expectation and a bit of cockiness which I don’t think helps.

Who knows, they could go on a winning steak now, I just sense there are other teams (City + Arsenal especially) that come across far more prepared for this season. 

Man Utd vs Liverpool next week. Somethings got to give. Whoever wins, the other has had a terrible start to the season. If it’s a draw, they both have.