2022/23 squad

YoxallRam

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I dont think Thompson or Cashin are ready to be starting week in week out in League 1. They are very good young players but I think they should be more backup options rather than first team regulars. Cashin is closer to being ready to start than Thompson.

Yeah agree on this, Cashin was good. Davies and Chester be first choice for me though. Thompson started brilliantly but had some real struggles in games. Doesn’t really play in the centre either. He’s one to come on and maybe push into the team after a year or two.

Stretton I struggle to being a league footballer to be honest, not too sure what he offers. A lot of the other kids you could tell pretty quickly how good they were. Cybulski as well, hope they can force their way in but if we’re relying on them two for goals then I don’t see a top six finish.

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What if he got injured?

It's possible he'd get injured but the mathematical probability is greater for any of our over 30 year old players to get injured especially if they have past records for injury as some do.

9 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Generally agree but I actually think we do need another midfield option. We need an attacking midfield player who drives forward and gets a few goals. We have to get goals throughout the team this year and not be relying on one or two to get twenty. This league isn’t going to be easy and if we start with just neat tidy midfield players who go all wobbly when they get the chance to shoot we will struggle.

Louie Sibley??

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Generally agree but I actually think we do need another midfield option. We need an attacking midfield player who drives forward and gets a few goals. We have to get goals throughout the team this year and not be relying on one or two to get twenty. This league isn’t going to be easy and if we start with just neat tidy midfield players who go all wobbly when they get the chance to shoot we will struggle.

If only we had a player who could do this...

I understand the need for some experience in the squad (which we are seeing with some resigning, and new players. 

But Derby are league 1, The perfect opportunity to get some of these younger lads in the first team squad. 

At this point, every player between the ages of 23/22-18, should be given a look.In some capacity. If not, then why even try and cultivate an academy, in my opinion 

?‍♂️

Edited by Hanny

31 minutes ago, Hanny said:

I understand the need for some experience in the squad (which we are seeing with some resigning, and new players. 

But Derby are league 1, The perfect opportunity to get some of these younger lads in the first team squad. 

At this point, every player between the ages of 23/22-18, should be given a look.In some capacity. If not, then why even try and cultivate an academy, in my opinion 

?‍♂️

Just because we're in League 1 doesnt mean we should automatically give you a chance. Last season was a free hit and the right season to do it, next season we're in a division where we havent been that low for over 30 years, we should be trying to go straight back up imo.

Instead of Craig forsyth, would Erik Peters formerly of Burnley fc be a better option, hes also a left back.

How about Joe Rafferty formerly pne, Moses Obubajo formerly of qpr, nabby sar formerly of Huddersfield.

1 minute ago, Oldben said:

Instead of Craig forsyth, would Erik Peters formerly of Burnley fc be a better option, hes also a left back.

How about Joe Rafferty formerly pne, Moses Obubajo formerly of qpr, nabby sar formerly of Huddersfield.

Rafferty has gone/is going to Portsmouth, Odubajo is a RB and has gone to some team in Greece and Sarr is a CB.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Just because we're in League 1 doesnt mean we should automatically give you a chance. Last season was a free hit and the right season to do it, next season we're in a division where we havent been that low for over 30 years, we should be trying to go straight back up imo.

I understand, getting out of League 1 as quick as possible should be the aim. 

I just don’t believe fielding a team of 32-37 year olds is the safest way to do that.  Injuries and rests will need to happen, as well as needing some players who can run all day. CD (who I love!), will very likely not be suiting up every game again as he did last year…that was a monumental effort, that certainly can not be expected again. 

Derby are under a business plan, so the risk of slippery slope over paying is not really a risk…which is great! And as such, any experience brought in will not be a gamble on the future of the club. 

But I still think for the club (long term), we should be letting some of these young lads in the first team. We’d likely be loaning them out to league 1 sides anyway…so, let them play in our league 1 side. 

Edited by Hanny

Just now, Hanny said:

I just don’t believe fielding a team of 32-37 year olds is the safest way to do that.  Injuries and rests will need to happen, as well as some players who can run all day. 

Derby are under a business plan, so the risk of slippery slope over paying is not really a risk…which is great! And as such, any experience brought in will not be a gamble on the future of the club. 

But I still think for the club (long term), we should be letting some of these young lads in the first team. We’d likely be loaning them out to league 1 sides anyway…so, let them play in our league 1 side. 

I agree. If you can't play your successful youngsters when you've dropped into League One, then you can never play them. If instead the core of the team comes from a vibrant collection of youngsters who've grown up together, then we'll be all right. Sadly we've had plenty poached due to our circumstances, but having:

Cashin, Thompson, Bird, Sibley, Knight and Stretton 

out on the pitch this season will likely help win us most games and form the youthful core of a side that could continue to be a really strong proposition in the Championship too, if we're successful and make it straight back up.

24 minutes ago, Hanny said:

I just don’t believe fielding a team of 32-37 year olds is the safest way to do that.  Injuries and rests will need to happen, as well as needing some players who can run all day. CD (who I love!), will very likely not be suiting up every game again as he did last year…that was a monumental effort, that certainly can not be expected again. 

Who said anything about a team of 32-37 year olds? Wildsmith, Cashin, Bielik, Bird, Knight and Barkhuizen will expect to start most games. Roberts, Roberts, Tommo, Sibley and wingers (possibly Glover and someone else) who will be used often enough. Then there's also Stretton and Cybulski who'll get a bit if game time. Half of the starting lineup and half of the bench will be 28 or younger.

The business plan will ensure we don't overspend.

We have a nhmber of "young lads" in the starting lineup.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

17 minutes ago, Hanny said:

I have no issue with youth being in and around the first team, but at the same time I dont think we should be so reliant on them. The age demographic of the squad last season had a few outfield players between 24 & 32 - Byrne, Morrison & Lawrence (Shinnie before he left), so that is mainly the market we should be looking at imo as we didnt have many anyway and those 3 have all gone. Wildsmith, NML, Barkhuizen & Hourihane fit into that. Then you add a couple in the 18-23 (Roberts) & 33+ (Chester) bracket you have a pretty balanced squad.

1 hour ago, Hanny said:

If we did escape this season with a team made up largely of 32 to 37 year old, what do we do about having that number of players on our books once in the Championship.

Plus players of that age have very little if no resale value.

If we are collecting those players to help train up youth players, which youth players as soon many have left recently.

If we are still in League one the following season, these same players are a year older and might struggle even more to be at their best.

I feel like one of the poor defenseless villagers hiring the magnificent seven to defend their town from the enemy, scraping the barrel to get who ever would come for almost no money.

Mind you the magnificent seven, although actually didn't largely survive did at least save the town at the end.

1 minute ago, Oldben said:

If we did escape this season with a team made up largely of 32 to 37 year old, what do we do about having that number of players on our books once in the Championship.

Plus players of that age have very little if no resale value.

If we are collecting those players to help train up youth players, which youth players as soon many have left recently.

If we are still in League one the following season, these same players are a year older and might struggle even more to be at their best.

I feel like one of the poor defenseless villagers hiring the magnificent seven to defend their town from the enemy, scraping the barrel to get who ever would come for almost no money.

Mind you the magnificent seven, although actually didn't largely survive did at least save the town at the end.

There will be many free transfers next season and so we'd be able to compete recruitment-wise at that level. Much better to get up and try building slowly, than try building slowly here!

All- I don’t want my comments to imply I am not happy with our re-signings and/or our incomings. I’m thrilled with them all (to date). 

Im commenting more on the folks who seem to think we need another 8 or so incomings. And more over, some who think they need to be starters. 

Now, if we do bring in another 8 or so, I would just like them to be for depth purposes. As I think Derby are in a unique position of having some quality elder statesmen (that 32-37 range) already, and some very raw, but shown promise younger lads (18-23). 

My only hope is derby to not bring in a bunch more journeyman in that older range, only to potentially stifle our own talent. 

I may be in the minority, but I think to get out of league one, the balance should lean more towards a scrappy younger side, then seasoned vets. 

13 minutes ago, Hanny said:

I may be in the minority, but I think to get out of league one, the balance should lean more towards a scrappy younger side, then seasoned vets. 

I think Rotherham bouncing up when they keep getting relegated shows that you need players that have been there and done it already. Rosenior has said all the players he has brought in has promotion on their CV, Stephens has that too. 

It has to be a nice balance throughout the squad, not top heavy on youth, nor top heavy on experience.

47 minutes ago, Hanny said:

All- I don’t want my comments to imply I am not happy with our re-signings and/or our incomings. I’m thrilled with them all (to date). 

Im commenting more on the folks who seem to think we need another 8 or so incomings. And more over, some who think they need to be starters. 

Now, if we do bring in another 8 or so, I would just like them to be for depth purposes. As I think Derby are in a unique position of having some quality elder statesmen (that 32-37 range) already, and some very raw, but shown promise younger lads (18-23). 

My only hope is derby to not bring in a bunch more journeyman in that older range, only to potentially stifle our own talent. 

Since you don't want any new signings to be starters, I assume you want us to have a starting 11 along the lines of:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Davies   Cashin   Roberts

Bird   Bielik

Mendez-Laing   Hourihane   Knight

McGoldrick

At the very least we need a starting RB and CF. Stearman is not a RB and we have no one else who can play there. McGoldrick is no longer capable of being a regular starter.

It's clear we want another GK and if Rushworth is anything to go by, we're looking for someone likely better than Wildsmith.

Re-signing Forsyth would also make him first choice ahead of Roberts.

For adequate depth, we will need a second RB and two more CMs/wingers (dependant on where Sibley and Knight will play)

4 starters, 3 squad players.