2022/23 squad

YoxallRam

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I still think we're a good 8 players short and that's without anyone going really.

I think we need:-

1 keeper

2 right backs

Left back (Should be ok if Forsyth stays)

Midfielder (Not a chance we aren't losing one)

1/2 winger. We've only got NML and Barkhuizen there. Need more options.

2 strikers. We've got Mcgoldrick and hopefully Collins and then one more should be ok. I'm not sure Stretton is quite there yet and I'm absolutely certain Bartosz isn't.

If we are only playing one CF I'm happy with Stretton amd Cybulski being 3rd and 4th choice. If we are playing two up top, then yes I agree we need another. 

I think we could lose one CM without buying one, not a first choice one anyway, perhaps an u23 to develop. 

15 minutes ago, sage said:

If we are only playing one CF I'm happy with Stretton amd Cybulski being 3rd and 4th choice. If we are playing two up top, then yes I agree we need another. 

I think we could lose one CM without buying one, not a first choice one anyway, perhaps an u23 to develop. 

With 7 subs and being able to make 5, I think we need 3 first team strikers ahead of Stretton & Cybulski. If 1 of our forwards got injured I wouldnt fancy a goal from Cybulsi or Stretton coming off the bench. Can never have too many goalscoring options.

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

With 7 subs and being able to make 5, I think we need 3 first team strikers ahead of Stretton & Cybulski. If 1 of our forwards got injured I wouldnt fancy a goal from Cybulsi or Stretton coming off the bench. Can never have too many goalscoring options.

Stretton is a goal machine ?

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We have to take into account squad cohesion as team spirit. If we play with 1 centre forward then we can't have three centre forwards who all expect regular first team football. 

One more centre foward for me with Cybulski and Stretton being back ups.

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We won't have an unlimited budget so you have to prioritise. 

Also, if you have too big a squad, those not playing poo stir

8 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I still think we're a good 8 players short and that's without anyone going really.

I think we need:-

1 keeper

2 right backs

Left back (Should be ok if Forsyth stays)

Midfielder (Not a chance we aren't losing one)

1/2 winger. We've only got NML and Barkhuizen there. Need more options.

2 strikers. We've got Mcgoldrick and hopefully Collins and then one more should be ok. I'm not sure Stretton is quite there yet and I'm absolutely certain Bartosz isn't.

Generally agree but I actually think we do need another midfield option. We need an attacking midfield player who drives forward and gets a few goals. We have to get goals throughout the team this year and not be relying on one or two to get twenty. This league isn’t going to be easy and if we start with just neat tidy midfield players who go all wobbly when they get the chance to shoot we will struggle.

9 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

We might still attract someone a bit unexpected, like the Hourihane deal, but I would be happy with a few more young additions. Plenty of old heads in the dressing room now, think we could use some energy and pace.

Add some players hungry to prove themselves, perhaps more loans like Roberts, and we'll have a really nice mix.

Forsyth is a must sign, he can still win everything in the air and whip it in to the box. I thought he probably should have been in the team ahead of Buchanan at the end of last season.

Collins and another U23's striker?

Agree on the pace, really hope we’re looking at younger players maybe out wide and full back. Must be some loan options. Really think we have enough older players now.

8 hours ago, sage said:

We won't have an unlimited budget so you have to prioritise. 

Also, if you have too big a squad, those not playing poo stir

And if you have to prioritise I'd make it a goal scorer. It's been patently obvious for the last how many seasons that we stuggle to put the ball in the net. Whilst Stretton and Bart might come good, just having McGoldrick and (maybe) Collins isn't enough firepower.

3 wingers was enough the year we got to Wembley (Dawkins, JR, Wardy) so imo if we keep Knight we are fine as there is always a youngster who could step up (Richards maybe). If Knight goes (v likely) there are bound to be some great options at bargain prices. 

I'm assuming CKR will be staying. If that's the case we should go as we are and if an opportunity to pick up another striker then all well and good.

Not sure what the reserve options for GK are but I thought one of the young lads is a hot prospect?? 

Fozzy at this level will be solid. He stays LB is sorted. Again bound to be backup somewhere in the squad.

RB is the concern.......

Shopping list as things stand:

Defo RB

Maybe winger & a striker

Re-sign Fozz

21 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

3 wingers was enough the year we got to Wembley (Dawkins, JR, Wardy) so imo if we keep Knight we are fine as there is always a youngster who could step up (Richards maybe). If Knight goes (v likely) there are bound to be some great options at bargain prices. 

I'm assuming CKR will be staying. If that's the case we should go as we are and if an opportunity to pick up another striker then all well and good.

Not sure what the reserve options for GK are but I thought one of the young lads is a hot prospect?? 

Fozzy at this level will be solid. He stays LB is sorted. Again bound to be backup somewhere in the squad.

RB is the concern.......

Defo RB

Maybe winger & a striker

Re-sign Fozz

We had Bamford on loan for the 2nd half of that season.

Kazim is not staying.

None of the you g GK are ready for L1. Aside from Foulkes, the others have a combined 5 games at U23 level to their name. Foulkes is a good shot stopper, but very short for a keeper.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I dont think Thompson or Cashin are ready to be starting week in week out in League 1. They are very good young players but I think they should be more backup options rather than first team regulars. Cashin is closer to being ready to start than Thompson.

40 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

RB is the concern.......

Defo RB

Maybe winger & a striker

Re-sign Fozz

If we resign CZR I don't think we need another CF as we will have McGoldrick as our first choice centre forward and then two very different strikers in CZR and Stretton for coverage. We can't keep 4 CF's happy with game time if we only play one up top.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

https://the72.co.uk/2022/07/10/update-emerges-on-derby-countys-bid-to-fend-off-interest-in-star-man-as-bundesliga-interest-grows/

Brimmed aiming to try and get knight for free.

Its time to legally take action with fifa.

For Derby to loose buchanan, bryne and potentially knight with no fees is crazy.

Knight’s situation is different. He still has a year of his contract to run so we would be in a position to demand a fee from Werder Bremen.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And if you have to prioritise I'd make it a goal scorer. It's been patently obvious for the last how many seasons that we stuggle to put the ball in the net. Whilst Stretton and Bart might come good, just having McGoldrick and (maybe) Collins isn't enough firepower.

I think the 26 goals collins got in league one last time would be enough if he can repeat that feat (if we did sign him)

At the time of writing the basic squad (with raw academy options in parentheses) is:

GK: Wildsmith (Foulks)

RB: 

LB: (Grewal-Pollard)

CB: Davies, Stearman, Chester, Cashin, Roberts 

MF: Bielik, Hourihane, Sibley, Knight, Bird, Thompson (Aghatise)

Wingers: Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen

Strikers: McGoldrick, Stretton (Cybulski)

We really need a right back or two. Fozzy will hopefully sign as left back and Roberts can also play there even though he's a centre half. We may well want an extra keeper. We're very strong in centre defence and central midfield. What else we want will be determined by how Rosenior wants to play:

4-2-1-3 (please no) and we must abandon our midfield strength and need more wingers unless we play people out of their natural position and nullify them (eg Knight and/or Sibley on the wing!). We tried this last season and rarely created any chances.

4-1-2-3 (commonly seen as 4-3-3) is definitely better in that we have 5 offensively minded players instead of trying to rely on 4. But we still will need another winger to be able to rotate the attacking threat as in the days of Mac1.

4-4-2 and we don't need more wingers as they will only be options if changing to a plan B. But we will need another central striker.

47 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Knight’s situation is different. He still has a year of his contract to run so we would be in a position to demand a fee from Werder Bremen.

Derby took up contract extensions on Byrne and Buchanan which they were legally entitled to given the age of the players.

They had extended both players by one year and that is why they are entitled to a fee for both players according to the EFL, who support Derby's case.

All that's required is for the FIFA court of arbitration for sport to meet, and then a pay out to Derby.

It's why Derby are paying lawyers to take that forward.

Under such legal action, against the players, they are likely to have signed non disclosure agreements.

We are being further linked with older midfield players, and now will find they have almost zero resale value. 

Dale Stephens at 33 being another name we are linked with.

League one is a physical league and we need older experienced players, but we will need younger players, who are physically able at speed to put pressure on the opposition and play the majority of the 40 plus games.

We are losing the backbone of the future team by losing Buchanan, Byrne and now potentially knight.

I am yet to be convinced by Sibley.

We have beaten league two Bradford FC, I don't see that team as the sort of threat we will face in league one.