Championship | 22/23 Season

Day

11 hours ago, GenBr said:

I do agree. I think the whole system is a load of rubbish. I wouldnt mind so much if other clubs were allowed to spend as much (as long as they dont financially cripple the club), but FFP stops that and the non parachute teams dont even have the same allowable losses on top of that

And they’re supposed to be to pay off the contracts of premier league players, but there are no methods to enforce that, so instead they end up blowing them all on trying to get promoted, massively inflating the market so the other teams have to try to keep up causing issues like us and reading and countless others, and if they don’t get promoted in three seasons, they destroy their club anyway. 

Money is supposed to trickle down from the premier league, but it seems like the only thing that trickles down are bigger and bigger debts. 

Parachute payments aren't a bad thing in themselves, it's the use of them by the relegated clubs that is the problem. The EFL say they want changes but the EPL say that they aren't a problem and aren't going to change anything. Surely the EFL should put in their rules methods that will force the clubs to use these payments as a "parachute" and not as an escape rocket.

Instead of allowing bigger losses they should limit them to at best the same. This would reduce allowable spending. If the club doesn't get promoted within three years then they will have to reduce their squad and running costs accordingly. Also it should be a written rule that any club breaking FFP when promoted (exclude promotion bonuses for example) will receive a points penalty in their first season on being relegated. The size of the penalty should be on a running scale for the amount of overspend.

21 hours ago, littleover ram said:

im not sure how much the affect of parachute payments is overstated. Looking at the Champo this season, Burnley have gone straight back up and in the play off positions Luton, Millwall & Coventry don’t have them. Middlesbrough had a boost from the Mel Morris money but I doubt it was the £45m they were claiming.

it’s only really Sheff Utd who are benefiting, getting them for a second year in the Championship 

edit: forgot Coventry in the playoffs and Sunderland just outside them too 

The Mel Morris money boost didn’t do Wycombe much good🤣

On 06/05/2023 at 09:14, richinspain said:

Parachute payments aren't a bad thing in themselves, it's the use of them by the relegated clubs that is the problem. The EFL say they want changes but the EPL say that they aren't a problem and aren't going to change anything. Surely the EFL should put in their rules methods that will force the clubs to use these payments as a "parachute" and not as an escape rocket.

Instead of allowing bigger losses they should limit them to at best the same. This would reduce allowable spending. If the club doesn't get promoted within three years then they will have to reduce their squad and running costs accordingly. Also it should be a written rule that any club breaking FFP when promoted (exclude promotion bonuses for example) will receive a points penalty in their first season on being relegated. The size of the penalty should be on a running scale for the amount of overspend.

Blimey Rich, has your wife got hold of your login.... I've never heard so much common sense....🤣

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Blimey Rich, has your wife got hold of your login.... I've never heard so much common sense....🤣

We've chatted a few times, but you've never had the "pleasure " of chatting with my wife. Even less reading her messages. I've got my phone connected to the Enigma machine and even that struggles sometimes!

19 hours ago, Premier ram said:

so sorry for Millwall dumped out of the play offs after being 3-1 up to Blackburn, couldnt of happened to a nicer club or manager                    

They took it well

https://fanbanter.co.uk/millwall-fans-brick-blackburn-supporters-coach-after-away-end-sang-forever-blowing-bubbles/

Edited by Shipley Ram

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can’t say I’ve taken much notice of the Championship this season.

Would be nice to see Coventry back in the top flight. Luton would be interesting too.

A North East derby final could be good to watch, better if Sunderland won it.

Apparently, Newcastle are in London the same weekend as the playoff final, so a North East Derby might be fun

50 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can’t say I’ve taken much notice of the Championship this season.

Would be nice to see Coventry back in the top flight. Luton would be interesting too.

A North East derby final could be good to watch, better if Sunderland won it.

Rather s*** in my hands and clap following their reaction last season after Derbys support during their SISU issues.

16 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Rather s*** in my hands and clap following their reaction last season after Derbys support during their SISU issues.

This. Luton fans were also giving off allot of pious claptrap during our Administration. Sections of both sets of fans, and plenty of Boro fans too forgot their own past flirtations with mismanagement and near liquidation and revelled in our situation.

I don't recall Sunderland fans being guilty of the same, so I hope they win the POs against Boro at Wembley, preferably with a last minute goal leading from a mistake by that animal Crooks.