New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

26 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

No, very reliable. I actually used to work with Pete, and Graeme Bailey, and can confirm they’re both very good. 

I think the best thing about this signing is not just the obvious things he brings on the pitch, but the pull this might have for other players who are thinking about joining us.

It’s a real statement of ambition and a great sign that this rebuild is very much happening!

Agree with this.

PLUS, fat f*** from Brizzle will go absolutely apesh*t, which will be….amusing.

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

I assume no room for Stearman to re-sign if Davies stays and we sign Chester and Roberts arrives on loan 

Davies and Chester had a couple of years together at Hull so they should know each others game.  That's a start. Stearman can play right back so could be useful if Byrne goes.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Davies and Chester had a couple of years together at Hull so they should know each others game.  That's a start. Stearman can play right back so could be useful if Byrne goes.

I really can’t see Stearman being able to play right back anymore - it’s off the bench or nothing at centre half if we re sign him 

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

I assume no room for Stearman to re-sign if Davies stays and we sign Chester and Roberts arrives on loan 

There were rumours on Saturday night that Stearman had already signed but wasn't announced yet.  I half wonder if Chester is an either/or with Davies, not both.  You have to assume that Cashin is going to be starting most weeks, and you probably want an experienced defender alongside him, which would either be Davies or Chester. Then Roberts would be competition for Cashin, and Stearman cheap experienced cover for the other one.  I don't see any point in having our academy develop a player like Cashin, let him establish himself in the team, only to bench him for a couple of 33+ year old players.  And I don't see Davies or Chester being here if they aren't going to play regularly - they're at the stage of their careers where they just want to play as long as they can, then retire into coaching/media work.

I am here for all the Davis/Stearman love. But a wee bit of caution (realistic expectation) should be exercised. 

Davis will be 37, and Stearman 35 during this next season. At some point legs/backs/etc simply give out. 

As much as a warrior Davis has proven to be, he surely can’t be expected to suit up for the full dance card this year. 

My guess is Derby will likely add more Center half’s than many would like to see…prompting some to think a three at the back. When it’s more likely a hedge for the likelihood more then one or two of our older lads will be needing more breaks. 

7 minutes ago, Hanny said:

My guess is Derby will likely add more Center half’s than many would like to see…prompting some to think a three at the back. When it’s more likely a hedge for the likelihood more then one or two of our older lads will be needing more breaks. 

The thing is, I don't see any of the centre halves we have/are linked to being able to do anything other than play centre half (albeit I know very little about Roberts).  5 centre halves is just overkill when we're restricted on wage spending and squad size.  We're much better off having 3 or 4 proper centre halves and then a couple of players like Fozzy than can play there in an emergency.

I'm not even sure I'd want the likes of Cashin/Davies/Stearman/Chester playing regularly in the wide centre-half positions in a back 3 - you really need to be quite mobile to do that job properly.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is, I don't see any of the centre halves we have/are linked to being able to do anything other than play centre half (albeit I know very little about Roberts).  5 centre halves is just overkill when we're restricted on wage spending and squad size.  We're much better off having 3 or 4 proper centre halves and then a couple of players like Fozzy than can play there in an emergency.

I'm not even sure I'd want the likes of Cashin/Davies/Stearman/Chester playing regularly in the wide centre-half positions in a back 3 - you really need to be quite mobile to do that job properly.

I hear you. I’m not saying I like the idea of overloading at the position. Am just wondering if Derby have a choice?‍♂️  

You (Derby) would surely like to feel confident in the health of their players.

But realistically you can’t expect Davis and Stearman (they haven’t yet officially signed either) to finish the season with 40 plus starts. 

So if those two are signed, you really need to have another two as cover (at least). And that’s just if the plan is a standard 4 at the back with the two center halves being fairly stationary. If they plan to play a more mobile system…they will need even more. 

I am now all most certain from the way things are shaping as soon as knight goes a literal avalanche of signings will follow. Again a shame but I suspect we actually have a plan and being cautious. Unlike previous chaotic signings that made zero sense we can all see a squad build from scratch which could well be a blessing in disguise.

We seem to be recruiting a lot of Republic of Ireland players. We already have Knight and Cashin (formerly had Watson and Festy). Reportedly signed Hourihane and McGoldrick and linked with James Collins.

Anyone fancy another Irish international out of work called Cyrus Christie?

Edited by RAMesses III

4 minutes ago, RAMesses III said:

We seem to be recruiting a lot of Republic of Ireland players. We already have Knight and Cashin (formerly had Watson and Festy). Reportedly signed Hourihane and McGoldrick and linked with James Collins.

Anyone fancy another Irish international out of work called Cyrus Christie?

Better than no one