last bit of Baseball Ground

swanny

Hello, i had a ride on my bike at the weekend and headed down to the site of the Baseball Ground. Where the artwork bit is, there appears to be an original wall still standing. doesn't anyone know which bit of the ground this was?  

IMG_3453.jpg

14 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Aaah so that’s why the gypsy curse is still active.

There's lots of  bricks still around, in the remaining wall and all those bricks around the Baseball ground entrance which was rebuilt at Pride Park and those around the Steve Bloomer Bust. ?

I wonder if the gypsy's curse extended to our issues with the EFL if it did we came across a very vindictive and far sighted gypsy.

I have always doubted the gypsy story as the land where the Baseball was has Cotton Brook running through it and as we know was very boggy.

3 hours ago, swanny said:

Hello, i had a ride on my bike at the weekend and headed down to the site of the Baseball Ground. Where the artwork bit is, there appears to be an original wall still standing. doesn't anyone know which bit of the ground this was?  

IMG_3453.jpg

It’s that wall, you can still see the red paint on the pillar !

DE6C3780-001D-4E27-8705-DF2AE61677F5.jpeg

71531191-16A2-48C4-B31E-95A4724847EB.jpeg

C1F197F8-0376-4C1C-9E2E-F2688BEB7E64.jpeg

got a bit of time on my hands, due to our usual avalanche of positive news on twitter.....

just found this one and I agree Elwood. i think on this later colour image you can see some of the blocked up doors that are still visible. thanks I can work out in my head exactly where the ground was now

Baseball-Ground.jpg

I think the wall is the cable end/ends of the Leys buildings featured in the top left hand corner of the picture I posted in the link. The top of the cable ends have been reduced, capped and the doors and windows bricked up.

I am fairy sure the where those two buildings stood there was a Water Tower 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

10 hours ago, swanny said:

IMG_3453.jpg

Quite sad to see…..loved the BBG, so many memories ?

There is also a wall behind where the Normanton stand was, where you walked in towards the pop side turnstiles. Corner of Vulcan street and Harrington Street. That looks like it might well be old? 

Anybody seen a pic of that area before it was demolished? I used to enter the ground there every home game ? 

17 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

There is also a wall behind where the Normanton stand was, where you walked in towards the pop side turnstiles. Corner of Vulcan street and Harrington Street. That looks like it might well be old? 

Anybody seen a pic of that area before it was demolished? I used to enter the ground there every home game ? 

I think that might be another Leys boundary wall

Edited by Elwood P Dowd