Jake Daniels

bimmerman

I've linked an article below. It's apparently 'breaking news' that a 17 year old footballer has come out as gay. Fair play to him for being open and honest about who he is,but how is this even still a thing to have a stigma about in this day and age? Hopefully this is the start of it being normalised in the football world 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10821717/Blackpool-FC-player-Jake-Daniels-pro-footballer-England-come-gay.html

3 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Same way race is still an issue in the sport. Until the Neanderthals in the stands stop shouting abuse it’s always going to be an issue.

Incredibly brave for him to do this at the beginning of his career. 

Absolutely. I have no idea who he is or if he's any good,but hope he absolutely smashes it next season. 

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well done but does anyone even really care?

Fair play to him though, hopefully more footballers will be comfortable being themselves and realise its not an issue to 99.9% of supporters these days.

When society truly doesn’t care, it will show it’s no longer an issue.

Personally I don’t care, if I saw him walking down the street in some loving clinch with another guy it honestly wouldn’t bother me at all. Unfortunately there are still a good number who would mock this, so it still is an issue.

As you say, fair play if he feels he has to make a statement though, I understand why he feels he has to do so.

Edited by angieram

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

When society truly doesn’t care, it will show it’s no longer an issue.

Personally I don’t care, if I saw him walking down the street in some loving clinch with another guy it honestly wouldn’t bother me at all. Unfortunately there are still a good number who would mock this, so it still is an issue.

As you say, fair play if he feels he has to make a statement though, I understand why he feels he has to do so.

And what percentage of society genuinely not caring do we need to reach before that becomes true?

The minority that will mock him for being homosexual are the same people that will mock someone for being black, female, fat, bald. I think these are usually done to get a reaction rather than a hatred of the trait that they are mocking. 

Really good to see - finally. Hope we now have a sudden torrent of others coming forward, so young Jake doesn't stand isolated for long. 

The greatest single social change in my lifetime has been the rapid acceptance in many countries including here of same-sex marriage. Why is it anybody else's business who someone loves? If 100 top gay footballers now signed a letter coming out too, there'd be news for a week and then no one would ever think of it as an issue again 

It's not just abuse from fans that he will have thought about. As mentioned, fans will pick on anything from wife cheating, drugs, ethnic minority, hairstyle, nationality, gay, fat, bald, ugly etc etc. 

But the banter within squads could potentially be a problem. Footballers seem to grow up a lot slower than anyone else. There's a lad culture just as much as there is on building sites. 

These are lads majority in their 20's who have a lot of money very early and have everything done for them. They never really leave that schoolboy mentality in an awful lot of cases. 

I think the least of his worries would be fans and twitter trolls who don't know him and put barely any thought into what they'll say. 

But the big group of lads he's going to be spending every day with, sharing hotels, changing rooms, going away etc etc. That I imagine is his main concern. Maybe how he'll be treated within football. 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

It's not just abuse from fans that he will have thought about. As mentioned, fans will pick on anything from wife cheating, drugs, ethnic minority, hairstyle, nationality, gay, fat, bald, ugly etc etc. 

But the banter within squads could potentially be a problem. Footballers seem to grow up a lot slower than anyone else. There's a lad culture just as much as there is on building sites. 

These are lads majority in their 20's who have a lot of money very early and have everything done for them. They never really leave that schoolboy mentality in an awful lot of cases. 

I think the least of his worries would be fans and twitter trolls who don't know him and put barely any thought into what they'll say. 

But the big group of lads he's going to be spending every day with, sharing hotels, changing rooms, going away etc etc. That I imagine is his main concern. Maybe how he'll be treated within football. 

I presume Jake must be confident that his own team mates will be fine with him. 

Will opposing players try to wind him up over it?

Some fans will no doubt have a go but I think (and hope) that the vast majority will be ok.

3 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Noticed a lot of outlets like Sky Sports have removed the ability to comment on stories about the lad.

And that should tell you everything you need to know about why this is still an issue.

To be fair, the majority of negative comments on posts that allow them have been something along the lines of "who cares?".

Now I think those people are completely (and arguably wilfully) missing the point, but I don't think it crosses the line into homophobia as you might expect.

Also, they're generally outweighed by messages of positivity.

On 17/05/2022 at 15:32, Scott129 said:

Noticed a lot of outlets like Sky Sports have removed the ability to comment on stories about the lad.

And that should tell you everything you need to know about why this is still an issue.

Why?

Is the issue of homosexuality the only thing that attracts negative comments on social media?

Well done Jake,

hopefully we can prove the game has moved on and this becomes the none story it should be.

I wonder sometimes (despite a sizeable minority of goons in our game) whether the issue could be more an international one? Plenty of countries with more conservative beliefs than us to put it politely.

Look at the last two World Cup hosts. Imprisonment or potential death penalty in Qatar. 

Shouldn’t matter a jot but unfortunately it remains incredibly brave to come out within the sport.