Chris Coles leaving Radio Derby in July

TuffLuff

Wish CC all the best, a well above average broadcaster at local radio level so was always destined to leave.

His replacement? Have to admit I am a fan of Colin Gibson, but don't think he'll fancy being the "main man" again. I like Dave Fletcher too but don't think he would have time alongside all the cricket stuff as well. So I'm assuming will be a new face.

56 minutes ago, Strider said:

Wish CC all the best, a well above average broadcaster at local radio level so was always destined to leave.

His replacement? Have to admit I am a fan of Colin Gibson, but don't think he'll fancy being the "main man" again. I like Dave Fletcher too but don't think he would have time alongside all the cricket stuff as well. So I'm assuming will be a new face.

Anyone but CG

A massive loss to RD for sure but Coles had very much outgrown local radio levels. Any of the podcast lot fancy a step up? Blake Fallows, The Steve Bloomers Washing lot or similar. Assume Colin Gibson will takeover as caretaker for awhile, Dave Fletcher has the cricket and Burton full time.

Edited by Ram@Lincoln

I wouldn’t be against giving Ed the presenter role and getting a new commentator in. Ed takes a lot of criticism online, sometimes it’s fair but think he’s taken the brunt of a lot of maybe what was collective mistakes.

It’s a bit hard to explain but I think CC wants to be a sports reporter whilst Ed wants to be a Derby County reporter? And there’s a difference in how you go about each role and both have been learning as they go? Or maybe sounds a bit more backhanded than I intended but anyway. 

So Ed has been the one talking to sources and probably knows a lot more of what’s going on, but because he’s got a more emotional aspect then I think it sways how he come across. So criticisms of him coming across a bit ‘I know something you don’t know’ or that he can be a bit sniping are valid, but I don’t think it comes from a bad place and his info isn’t ever really wrong (or if it is he puts his hands up to it!).

CC has kept his head down and done his work, and he’s very good at it, but as fans got desperate then Ed would be the one trying to keep everyone , informed which was an impossible task, and took a lot of criticism whilst doing it.

It’s been a bugger of a couple of seasons reporting on Derby County, especially for local journalists, they’ve essentially had to learn as they go whilst competing with national journalists for their info. 

If not Ed, a wild card choice would be Ryan Conway if he was still in the area. A decent journalist at The Athletic who’s got some character,  maybe just needs a few improvements with his info and things like that but wouldn’t be an awful choice if he’s trainable.

43 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I wouldn’t be against giving Ed the presenter role and getting a new commentator in. Ed takes a lot of criticism online, sometimes it’s fair but think he’s taken the brunt of a lot of maybe what was collective mistakes.

It’s a bit hard to explain but I think CC wants to be a sports reporter whilst Ed wants to be a Derby County reporter? And there’s a difference in how you go about each role and both have been learning as they go? Or maybe sounds a bit more backhanded than I intended but anyway. 

So Ed has been the one talking to sources and probably knows a lot more of what’s going on, but because he’s got a more emotional aspect then I think it sways how he come across. So criticisms of him coming across a bit ‘I know something you don’t know’ or that he can be a bit sniping are valid, but I don’t think it comes from a bad place and his info isn’t ever really wrong (or if it is he puts his hands up to it!).

CC has kept his head down and done his work, and he’s very good at it, but as fans got desperate then Ed would be the one trying to keep everyone , informed which was an impossible task, and took a lot of criticism whilst doing it.

It’s been a bugger of a couple of seasons reporting on Derby County, especially for local journalists, they’ve essentially had to learn as they go whilst competing with national journalists for their info. 

If not Ed, a wild card choice would be Ryan Conway if he was still in the area. A decent journalist at The Athletic who’s got some character,  maybe just needs a few improvements with his info and things like that but wouldn’t be an awful choice if he’s trainable.

I agree with this. For what its worth I don't mind ED. Listening to other local radio stations, we could have done a lot worse! I think ED has received some unfair criticism in not getting information out there fast enough or after others. With WR in charge were going to have a national appeal so competing with the resources and contacts (?) of the big newspapers is always going to be hard. But as well as that, DCFC are a club that hides behind closed doors and statements. I like that ED cares, they do a good job for me. 

CC is a loss though. Heard him on 5live t'other day. Big shoes to fill. ? 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

I really hope that it's not @Owen87ITK. Not that Owen wouldn't be brilliant, it's just that it could mean that his present employer has ceased to exist. Not sure I could stand listening to superbly presented BBC RD sports programmes about Burton Albion.

14 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Well said. Ed is passionate about out club and I like how that comes across on the radio. 

I think Colin Gibson Will step up to take CC's spot personally though.

9 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Well said. Ed is passionate about out club and I like how that comes across on the radio. 

I think Colin Gibson Will step up to take CC's spot personally though.

Gibbo will most certainly take caretaker charge in the interim. RD have the best part of 8-12 weeks to find a replacement. No doubt the RD bosses would've been aware of Coles' intentions for numerous months since they let him on trial to the other stations. RD seem to be the perfect breeding ground for football reporters, we've had Ross Fletcher, Owen Bradley and now Chris Coles go off to bigger and better things. Most surely Colin Bloomfield would've jumped up the ranks in a parallel universe.

Whichever young shoot RD hire, they always seem to get it spot on so lets welcome the new person with open arms. Sure it'll be big shoes to fill again, but I'm sure we'll come to appreciate their broadcasting talents. Unless it's that awful commentator that RamsTV had at the start who knew nothing about the club, before being quickly dispatched and Owen Bradley replacing him.

7 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Gibbo will most certainly take caretaker charge in the interim. RD have the best part of 8-12 weeks to find a replacement. No doubt the RD bosses would've been aware of Coles' intentions for numerous months since they let him on trial to the other stations. RD seem to be the perfect breeding ground for football reporters, we've had Ross Fletcher, Owen Bradley and now Chris Coles go off to bigger and better things. Most surely Colin Bloomfield would've jumped up the ranks in a parallel universe.

Whichever young shoot RD hire, they always seem to get it spot on so lets welcome the new person with open arms. Sure it'll be big shoes to fill again, but I'm sure we'll come to appreciate their broadcasting talents. Unless it's that awful commentator that RamsTV had at the start who knew nothing about the club, before being quickly dispatched and Owen Bradley replacing him.

Always plenty of drama to put on the CV.  Getting a job with our local radio is the equivalent of getting a contract at Real Madrid.  Re Colin Bloomfield, I recall he did head off for 6 months for a new and probably higher profile job but wasn't keen and came back.

11 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

What he said was not racist and a match of the day said same about white players and nrothing done to him.

I’m afraid you are completely and utterly wrong on this and your obvious support for Ramage as a pundit (which is odd in itself) is colouring your views on other quite important and sensitive issues.  

In any event, however it happened, getting rid of one half of the chuckle brothers was a godsend. I can only hope that Ed finds another job somewhere and then I might finally listen to an away match again.  

Edited by LazloW