LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I haven’t really named any names so not sure what that’s supposed to mean

No names granted yet you want 3 new keepers when we already have 2 who are more than adequate to go forward with into League One. Yes both Allsop and Roos are out of contract at the end of next month but then so are Cashin, Stearman, Morrison, Thompson and Kazim yet you've included them. None of us fans know for sure what terms are likely to be available and therefore which players might accept.

Apart from paying ridiculously inflated fees for bang-average Championship players, when we had full access to the transfer market, we seemed to adopt a scattergun approach to signings. We continually failed to strengthen the key areas where our greatest weaknesses were - in my opinion -  a box-to-box midfielder to replace Brysons' energy and goals, a pacey, direct winger and at least one out and out striker as an alternative and subsequently a replacement for Chris Martin

16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

No names granted yet you want 3 new keepers when we already have 2 who are more than adequate to go forward with into League One. Yes both Allsop and Roos are out of contract at the end of next month but then so are Cashin, Stearman, Morrison, Thompson and Kazim yet you've included them. None of us fans know for sure what terms are likely to be available and therefore which players might accept.

Apart from paying ridiculously inflated fees for bang-average Championship players, when we had full access to the transfer market, we seemed to adopt a scattergun approach to signings. We continually failed to strengthen the key areas where our greatest weaknesses were - in my opinion -  a box-to-box midfielder to replace Brysons' energy and goals, a pacey, direct winger and at least one out and out striker as an alternative and subsequently a replacement for Chris Martin

I quite clearly stated “excluding the players I expect to leave”. Not necessarily players I want to leave. I’d be delighted if Allsop stayed, and I wouldn’t be massively against Roos staying either. I just expect both to leave, hence why we’ll need a number of new goalkeepers. Allsop has proven himself a solid Championship goalie, so I’d imagine he won’t be short of suitors at that level. And Roos I feel may want a fresh start, some fans still haven’t forgiven him for the PO final - all the ironic jeers etc, it’s pathetic, but I wouldn’t want to here if I was him.

The other names you listed, as things stand, I expect to stay. It’s guesswork at this stage of course, with things changing on a regular basis. For example, after yesterdays news I now expect Byrne to stay, so there’s one less signing at RB needed. We won’t have a clear view until the retained list is released as to exactly what we need, but it alleviates boredom to speculate for the time being!

Only positions I think we’re certain to need are a back up RB to replace Ebosele, and a striker to replace Plange. Beyond that, it really depends who leaves. But I expect it to be a big rebuild. That’s the first thing Kirchner has to get right, recruitment under Mel was an absolute shambles. I want to see a proper recruitment team put in place, who can find players beyond obvious names that even we could come up with, which actually suit our style of play. That’s the only way we’ll build a successful team on our restricted budget.

On 27/05/2022 at 17:45, Millenniumram said:

Fair play, I assume you’d added those 4 to your list, didn’t look at names ?

Point still stands though. Imo you need a 25 man squad - 2 players for ever position, plus an extra goalkeeper, CDM and striker as those tend to be the spine of your team. It’s a long, gruelling season in League One, with three cup competitions to boot. We’ve seen how having too thin a squad can harm you. What you’ve just listed there would have the same problem as we’ve had this season - no competition for places, and no room for Rotation. Not conducive to success. 

Out of the bolded list, there’s only Hutchinson who we could maybe consider experienced enough to talk about in the first team squad. The rest can’t be considered as options to rely on.

Id see the squad looking like this, excluding players I expect to leave

GK : NEW, NEW, NEW

RB : NEW, NEW (Bardsley?)

CB : NEW (Flint?), Cashin, Stearman, NEW

LB: Buchanan, Forsyth

CDM: Bielik, Bird, Thompson

CM : Knight, Sibley, Ravel, Hutchinson (NEW?)

RW : NEW (Ebiowei back on loan?), NEW (Barkhuizen?)

LW : NEW, NEW

ST : Kazim, NEW (Plange loan extension?), NEW

That looks like a healthier squad, with genuine competition for places and rotation options that we can rely on. Think we have to expect quite a turnover of players given our relegation, I make that 13 signings that we need at first team level at least. Busy summer ahead.

Firstly, we play a form of 4231, not the 433 your squad list is set up for. 

Very pessimistic outlook on who stays. Given Byrne has already committed to staying next season, I think that tells you a lot about how the squad will look next season. Allsop, Davies

I doubt Rooney wants to keep Kazim and Stearman. There's an outside chance of Stearman staying on as 4th choice CB though. If budget it tight, this is arguably the first role to be sacrificed.

Flint, Bardsley and Barkhuizen appear certainties to join. 

GK: Allsop, Roos/New, Foulkes

RB: Byrne, Bardsley

CB: Flint, Cashin  Davies, Stearman/Bardell

CM: Bielik, Bird, Tommo, Watson 

RW: Ebiowei/New, Barkhuizen

AM: Ravel, Sibley

LW: Knight, New

CF: New, New, Stretton, Cybulski

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Very pessimistic outlook on who stays. Given Byrne has already committed to staying next season, I think that tells you a lot about how the squad will look next season. Allsop, Davies

I doubt Rooney wants to keep Kazim and Stearman. There's an outside chance of Stearman staying on as 4th choice CB though. If budget it tight, this is arguably the first role to be sacrificed.

You ITK ? Certainties ?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Your forgetting jack stattion in CF slit as well.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’m hoping that was more a necessity, rather than what Rooney really wants to play. Certainly towards the end of the season we seemed to shift more towards a 4-3-3 with Bird playing further forward, I think that may well be the tactic in League One where we’re expected to dominate the ball.

That’s a bit more like it than what you originally put up. Knight ain’t a left winger though, he’s wasted out there. The wide areas need to a big area of focus. I’d expect a minimum of 3 signings out wide.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m hoping that was more a necessity, rather than what Rooney really wants to play. Certainly towards the end of the season we seemed to shift more towards a 4-3-3 with Bird playing further forward, I think that may well be the tactic in League One where we’re expected to dominate the ball.

That’s a bit more like it than what you originally put up. Knight ain’t a left winger though, he’s wasted out there. The wide areas need to a big area of focus. I’d expect a minimum of 3 signings out wide.

Only 2 minor differences. Bardsley in for McDonald and Stearman in for Bardell. Not much game time expected for those roles anyway.

Leaving Watford this summer. Available on a free. 39 years young. Would bring much needed experience to our young squad. Apparently he just wants to go somewhere to carry on playing. Good mates with Wayne. Has played seasons in the championship before but not sure he'd be willing to do League 1. Wages might be an issue. Potentially make a great GK coach when he retires. 

10 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Leaving Watford this summer. Available on a free. 39 years young. Would bring much needed experience to our young squad. Apparently he just wants to go somewhere to carry on playing. Good mates with Wayne. Has played seasons in the championship before but not sure he'd be willing to do League 1. Wages might be an issue. Potentially make a great GK coach when he retires. 

6 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

In before locked

Weirdly I was watching his podcast about leaving Watford last night, said he never wants to be a GK coach, which is a shame because you're right I think he'd be brilliant 

I'm actually watching the podcast right now as this popped up.

He was asked what level he would drop to, basically said he wants to stay in the Premier League. That was the end of that.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I assume this is Foster. He's probably holding out for a move back to Man Utd to replace Grant.

Yeah it’s Ben Foster. 

Said he would be happy to go somewhere as a number 2 now, would be a supportive number 2.

Although later in the podcast, spoke about needing to be able to commute to the club, used the South Coast as an example that might not work with his family and that, although at 39 he doesn’t need to train every day. Did sound like he wants to stay in London area and the Premier League.

Think a lot would have to happen, or not happen, for him to drop to League 1 up in the East Midlands.

22 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sorry to burst your bubble on this and it may be I've missed something, but I've not seen anything from Byrne saying that he's staying? The stories in the media are about how the club has triggered an extension given the number of games he has played. This is not an unusual tactic by DCFC, last used when offering Mason Bennett an extension not because he was ever going to stay, but because it meant that we could get some money for him. 

When I saw the story re Byrne, my assumption was the same, not that he was necessarily going to stay or the extension was anything to do from his side, but simply that it was available, we triggered it and that means we can get some money for him should we decide to sell rather than letting him leave out of contract. It's sound business sense. 

But as I say, maybe I've missed something where he's actually committed to staying (and I don't mean at the awards where all the players were pissed and asked to commit in front of a live audience!).  Fwiw I really hope he does stay, but I'll be surprised - he's better than L1 standard by some distance. 

2 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Sorry to burst your bubble on this and it may be I've missed something, but I've not seen anything from Byrne saying that he's staying? The stories in the media are about how the club has triggered an extension given the number of games he has played. This is not an unusual tactic by DCFC, last used when offering Mason Bennett an extension not because he was ever going to stay, but because it meant that we could get some money for him. 

When I saw the story re Byrne, my assumption was the same, not that he was necessarily going to stay or the extension was anything to do from his side, but simply that it was available, we triggered it and that means we can get some money for him should we decide to sell rather than letting him leave out of contract. It's sound business sense. 

But as I say, maybe I've missed something where he's actually committed to staying (and I don't mean at the awards where all the players were pissed and asked to commit in front of a live audience!).  Fwiw I really hope he does stay, but I'll be surprised - he's better than L1 standard by some distance. 

Liam Rosenior said yesterday that he is not going anywhere, see transfer section.