LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

34 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

I dont think he was. And at League one level i think he'd be a great signing. Even if its back up for davies and cashin.

He was always a brill RB

Certainly was fishy at times, a very average fullback.

34 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

I dont think he was. And at League one level i think he'd be a great signing. Even if its back up for davies and cashin.

He was always a brill RB. 

159 players played at CB in the 20/21 season, including many full backs and midfielders. For aerial duels won, Wisdom ranked 125th.

A few of those only played a few games there, so there's not enough data for reliable success rates.

93 played in at least 10 games, Wisdom ranking 83rd.

That is not a CB I want in my team in League 1.

He was a very good RB under Mac I, and reliable under Rowett and Cocu in the first season. But, poor ever since, and can only be worse now having not played for so long.

We've been linked with Flint and had Stearman with us for a season. I'd much rather have either of those than Wisdom.

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Certainly was fishy at times, a very average fullback.

He was the dogs balls under McClaren.  Bear in mind though at that loan period he'd played  around a 3rd of Liverpools games the previous season, was England U21 captain and had just signed a new 4 year deal with them.  Confidence would have been high.

The player we got permanently had just done 2 1/2 years of awful loans at Norwich and West Brom with a years jolly in the Austrian league.  Half the player.  On the whole a move to Celtic and Brendan Rodgers would probably have been the better option for him at the time.

For all the stats of his rubbish aerial performance Wisdom, I think I remember our defensive record when he played in the 2020-21 season was actually better than when he wasn't in it, and he was part of the defence that only conceded something like 3 goals in 10 games at one point. 

It could all have been completely coincidental and I could be misremembering the numbers though.

I wouldn't actually rank him below Stearman overall, who'll individually cost us about 12 goals next season if he plays regularly (*not based on anything statistically, I just really think he's crap and extremely error prone), but I wouldn't have either of them here tbh.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

13 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

For all the stats of his rubbish aerial performance Wisdom, I think I remember our defensive record when he played in the 2020-21 season was actually better than when he wasn't in it, and he was part of the defence that only conceded something like 3 goals in 10 games at one point. 

It could all have been completely coincidental and I could be misremembering the numbers though.

I wouldn't actually rank him below Stearman overall, who'll individually cost us about 12 goals next season if he plays regularly (*not based on anything statistically, I just really think he's crap and extremely error prone), but I wouldn't have either of them here tbh.

We played a very high line at the time. We could get away with it due to the players we had in defence.

If we lost Allsop- John Ruddy would be a great signing. Might be too good for league one but at 35 we have a chance. 

Flint 

Bardsley

Joe Allan 

Mcgoldrick

Hoilett

Jukiewicz 

Snodgrass 

Grabban

Sinclair 

Kieftenbelt 

Eaves 

Adomah

klose 

Carroll

all out of contract 

5 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Scott Twine - 20 goals and 13 assists from midfield in league 1. No penalties either. 

Cole Stockton 

Matt Taylor 

Marquee signings

£3m rated Scott Twine who has got all the top clubs in the Championship chasing him?

We’re going to be under a very strict business plan for the foreseeable future, as per EFL rules.

People need to tamper their expectations on who and how much we are able to spend over the next 2/3 transfer windows.

I’d be amazed if we signed anything other than free agents and loan deals next season.

6 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

£3m rated Scott Twine who has got all the top clubs in the Championship chasing him?

We’re going to be under a very strict business plan for the foreseeable future, as per EFL rules.

People need to tamper their expectations on who and how much we are able to spend over the next 2/3 transfer windows.

I’d be amazed if we signed anything other than free agents and loan deals next season.

Can't do that as could easily lead to relegation. 

I do agree expectation can't be for absolute best players, but buying players as well as free agents is a must.

If we sign players older than 32, theres a season in them but then they could still be playing for us, thats senseless.

A 35 year old striker will not score above 10 goals in a season, and we require a 20 goal a season strike if we are to compete in league 1.

Two years we've spent almost nothing on players, it's enough.

Efl are likely to place restrictions on signings until after the debt situation is sorted, but they are not saying transfers can't be made.

L1 is physical fast moving, with some former Premier league teams already playing in it.

8 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Yeah, agreed. Hard to see us spending. At the same time, if we can tie up most of the current crop, I don't think we need to either.

Obviously, a new contracts cost as well. 

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Yeah, agreed. Hard to see us spending. At the same time, if we can tie up most of the current crop, I don't think we need to either.

Obviously, a new contracts cost as well. 

I agree. I don't think we should even be contemplating paying transfer fees, even if it was possible under the business plan agreed with the EFL (which I don't think it will be). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12605203/league-one-team-of-the-season-2021-22-scott-twine-barry-bannan-ross-stewart-named-in-best-xi

As long as the majority of dcfc players better than these, we will be OK.

Wait, there not, I guess we need to strengthen our team.

That team recognises two key strikers scoring above 15 goals a season ...

Sunderland goal machine Ross Stewart as he earned a WhoScored.com rating of 7.41. The Black Cats player score 24 times in League One this season and won more man-of-the-match awards (12) than any other player. An additional three assists helped Stewart to a spot in the side.

With a rating of 7.49, Wycombe striker Sam Vokes is the WhoScored.com League One player of the season. The 32-year-old scored 16 times and laid on an additional seven assists as the Chairboys booked a playoff spot. Vokes more aerial duels (447) than any other player in England's third tier this season, while 133 shots was the fifth most in the division to help the Wales striker to the individual award.

10 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Likewise, I just can't see us either wanting to or being allowed to splash much about even if this deal goes through. That's not necessarily a bad thing because we need to cut our cloth according to the realities of League 1 but not much point discussing players that top Championship sides want. Even ageing 'names' from the top two flights with no real transfer fee will probably cause a wage problem so we need to make sure that we get best bang for buck from whatever our budget is.

There's obviously no point signing a load of dross that doesn't improve us but we need to try and spread our budget across a few key first team positions and if we over-commit on one signing in terms of fee or wages then it will undermine what we can do elsewhere.

Sure, there are owners writing off huge sums to fund teams in the EFL but CK (if he completes) really doesn't seem like that kind of owner. I'm not saying that he won't invest to a point but he has some shackles on from the EFL and in any case he isn't going to be having  huge bonfire of his personal wealth just to fund marquee signings to please certain sections of the fan base. That absolutely doesn't mean that we can't have a positive summer of trading but everything is going to need to deliver some value.

We shouldnt sign old players, with near zero sell on value.

L1 is a physical league, that kind of player, will not help derby.

Yes we will be budget restricted.

We most need to fill the attack positions, so I'd buy there first.

We need a 20 plus goals a season player, but if they get injured ...

18 minutes ago, Oldben said:

We shouldnt sign old players, with near zero sell on value.

L1 is a physical league, that kind of player, will not help derby.

Yes we will be budget restricted.

We most need to fill the attack positions, so I'd buy there first.

We need a 20 plus goals a season player, but if they get injured ...

What we might want and what we can afford will perhaps be two different things.

How much do you think a recognised '20 plus goals a season player' plus cover? would cost! ?

11 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

If we lost Allsop- John Ruddy would be a great signing. Might be too good for league one but at 35 we have a chance. 

Flint 

Bardsley

Joe Allan 

Mcgoldrick

Hoilett

Jukiewicz 

Snodgrass 

Grabban

Sinclair 

Kieftenbelt 

Eaves 

Adomah

klose 

Carroll

all out of contract 

On bbc sport they listed Birminghams released list and big Juk wasn’t on it.

Think he is the type of player we need for L1 though 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What we might want and what we can afford will perhaps be two different things.

How much do you think a recognised '20 plus goals a season player' plus cover? would cost! ?

That's dependent on if there or a League Two player or from a poor quality team in League one.