Finance thread 2022.

Rev

29 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The total cost of ownership is a bit nuts when you think of it like that. Hopefully if we continue to only use it lightly, it may well make it to the 2030 electric car deadline. At which point I guess we'll have a better idea as to whether electric cars are the low-cost low-emission green future, or if they are even more unaffordable - then make a decision from there. 

As I said in my reply to Gboro I think he underestimated the cost of fuel, and as he said hadn't even allowed for insurance, which for some can be very expensive , luckily not for olduns like me. Also parking fees depending on where you go.

Electric cars are not cheaper to run, I don't think.  Electric bikes are though.  

More government weirdness today.

The Times reporting that they was about to launch a public information campaign encouraging people to save energy.

Simple things to save people money and crucially, lower demand on the grid

Apparently Truss has blocked it on the basis that she is "ideologically opposed" to telling people what to do

36 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The Times reporting that they was about to launch a public information campaign encouraging people to save energy.

Apparently Truss has blocked it on the basis that she is "ideologically opposed" to telling people what to do

I don't think I can save any more "money", I sit watching my TV in the dark ?, I get next door to come round with a torch and a box of sweets it's like being at the pictures ?

54 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Why would people need to be told that?

Just now, ketteringram said:

Things like turning your boiler down to the optimum temperature for example? I was only aware of such a concept as we had a new one fitted last year and the plumber explained it to me. My parents would have no idea.

Turning lights off in rooms that aren't being used? My family are swines for this!

But ultimately - when it comes to British people and common sense - it all comes back to 

image.png.13279ba5372df7d165b9dc383eb8893a.png

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Some government wonk saying, 'We're not a nanny state.' Doesn't seem a particularly mature way of looking at the situation.

8 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Quite a few of us learnt something about boilers from @Boycie this week that I don't think is widely understood. Why can't government see themselves as co-operating with people and advising rather than telling them what to do?

17 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Inverness chairman was on radio last Saturday and said the cost was 4 times as much compared to last year. 

Logistically it doesn't work for them to bring games forward to say midday, and he is seeing a lot less away fans coming through the gate due to unrealiable train services and cost of fuel. 

Unreliable train services in Inverness ? No poo sherlock, wrong kind of snow for a start. 

46 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I don't think I can save any more "money", I sit watching my TV in the dark ?, I get next door to come round with a torch and a box of sweets it's like being at the pictures ?

I suppose the neighbours draw the line at a gobble on the back row though? 

8 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

It hasn't been that long since we were told to work harder, get other jobs etc. Where do they draw the line in their ideological opposition?

A question for you good people.

When you're evaluating something do you consider what it cost you, or what it will cost you to replace?

I bought a load of ready to burn logs about a year ago just before wood shot up (cue some Kenneth Williams memes).

Each log worked out at about 40p, but if I had to buy it now it would be more than double that.

Soooo, when Mrs Badger is tossing my wood on the stove (more memes please) without a care in the world, should I be thinking that's another 80p up in smoke, that's 40p up in smoke, or should I just get a life and relax?

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

When you're evaluating something do you consider what it cost you, or what it will cost you to replace?

I bought a load of ready to burn logs about a year ago just before wood shot up (cue some Kenneth Williams memes).

Each log worked out at about 40p, but if I had to buy it now it would be more than double that.

Soooo, when Mrs Badger is tossing my wood on the stove (more memes please) without a care in the world, should I be thinking that's another 80p up in smoke, that's 40p up in smoke, or should I just get a life and relax?

If Mrs @Bob The Badger is hot then you should just take pleasure in that and hang the expense

30 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Your wood clearly brings Mrs Badger pleasure. That should be enough.