Sombrero Day - v Cardiff at Home - 7th May

Mucker1884

Am I right in thinking this didn't go viral then?  ?

Saw a good dozen or so... maybe 20 at most... being worn outside the club shop area pre match.
Gave my two spares to two young lads sat eating do-nuts in the sun.  One buried the younger lad, so dad took charge of that one.

From my seat, I think I could only see maybe 6 during the game.  ?
Disappointed that not one of the '72 legends took the ideal opportunity to relive their celebrations by donning one. ?

Kept mine on throughout (with the kind acceptance of the chap behind).

I suspect wearing mine led to all-too-brief intro and hand-shake with the inquisitive @Inverurie Ram,  who guessed my identity, and came over to introduce himself.  No time for a chat sadly, as the players were just coming out for the second half.
Still good to put a face, and a handshake, to a username though, despite his own headgear being more from the North of The Americas!  ?

#Viral schmiral!  ?

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

There were three in West Stand Upper (us) three directly below us in W Lower, a few directly opposite us in East Stand.

We were 2 more west upper! Felt very exclusive! Who had them in west lower taking photo at half time with champions scarf?

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

We were 2 more west upper! Felt very exclusive! Who had them in west lower taking photo at half time with champions scarf?

We were west lower (3 of us) but no scarves, so must have been someone else.

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Haha - that was me. Loved the idea of wearing sombreros and was expecting everyone to have one! Glad I did - it’s now my favourite Rams hat, replacing the Davey Crockett beauty of the Eighties. ? 

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

Never saw any in the east stand massive.

I just put mine on at half time as I was bit embarrassed ? however given how sunny & warm it was, I wish I’d worn it all match 

a guy along from us wore his all match - he’s been captured on some club  photos that have been posted on social media 

This didn't quite get the traction I'd hoped!  We wore ours in the West Stand Lower but doubt I spotted more than 10 others in a crowd of 30,000...

Leaving the ground though we were completely out-sombrerod by a fan also wearing a poncho. And carrying maracas!  We need this guy to own up and take a bow!

19 minutes ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

Here's me before setting out from home.

Got interviewed live on BBC 6 Music on the way up the M5!  Managed to bring the conversation round to the Rams plight.  Helped make a great day greater.

PXL_20220507_070535787.jpg

Was listening to 6 Music when you came on and thought it was a good omen for the day. Sadly not ?

Wore my sombrero too, shame there weren't a few more.

On 07/05/2022 at 20:21, Nishfan said:

I just put mine on at half time as I was bit embarrassed ? however given how sunny & warm it was, I wish I’d worn it all match 

a guy along from us wore his all match - he’s been captured on some club  photos that have been posted on social media 

We were on some club social media but we were in the South stand.  ?

Edited by Rams forever

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

Well, maybe we’re all not the sheep like to think we are?

LOL

I thought it was a good idea, and the day was great fun, and I never cared before about being in a minority so no change there.  Quite a few people asked me why I was wearing it and I explained, and it made me realise that there's a general need to educate younger fans about the history.  We sometimes assume that they know stuff when actually they don't.  I was also struck by the fact that only one member of DCFC staff that I spoke to (a gentleman around my age) understood the reference without an explanation.  Memo to DCFC - make sure all your staff get a brief overview of the history, names etc during Induction Training!

My partner was attending her first ever game.  She is from eastern Europe and previously had a view of English people as shy, reserved etc.  Not any more.  She loved the passion that was on display, the solidarity in the face of adversity, and the sense of community that was evident.  She even laughed when I explained the chants, including the swearing!  

Sometimes stuff works and sometimes not, that's life.  Still a great day, great to see the members of the 72 team in the flesh and on the pitch, great to be reminded of what binds us together.  Loved the pre match poem as well, sums it all up really.

Finally, if as a fanbase we keep up this level of support this coming season, then surely Wazza will be able, post takeover, to assemble a very competitive squad and aim for a quick comeback.

46 minutes ago, LondonRam2 said:

LOL

I thought it was a good idea, and the day was great fun, and I never cared before about being in a minority so no change there.  Quite a few people asked me why I was wearing it and I explained, and it made me realise that there's a general need to educate younger fans about the history.  We sometimes assume that they know stuff when actually they don't.  I was also struck by the fact that only one member of DCFC staff that I spoke to (a gentleman around my age) understood the reference without an explanation.  Memo to DCFC - make sure all your staff get a brief overview of the history, names etc during Induction Training!

My partner was attending her first ever game.  She is from eastern Europe and previously had a view of English people as shy, reserved etc.  Not any more.  She loved the passion that was on display, the solidarity in the face of adversity, and the sense of community that was evident.  She even laughed when I explained the chants, including the swearing!  

Sometimes stuff works and sometimes not, that's life.  Still a great day, great to see the members of the 72 team in the flesh and on the pitch, great to be reminded of what binds us together.  Loved the pre match poem as well, sums it all up really.

Finally, if as a fanbase we keep up this level of support this coming season, then surely Wazza will be able, post takeover, to assemble a very competitive squad and aim for a quick comeback.

To be honest, wasn’t it just one black and white picture?  I’m 51 and I’ve seen enough old footage of Clough’s era to last me a lifetime, I’d never seen the picture before.

18 hours ago, Boycie said:

To be honest, wasn’t it just one black and white picture?  I’m 51 and I’ve seen enough old footage of Clough’s era to last me a lifetime, I’d never seen the picture before.

Fair point, it's not the best known photo from that era, but I did get the impression that most of the staff simply weren't aware of the significance of the day itself, the 50th anniversary aspect, rather than the hat thing.