World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

And he went on to have a glittering career in, I don’t know, let’s say… Kyrgyzstan.

In the lead up to Euro 2004, he had previously finished top scorer for Werder Bremen as they won a Bundesliga and Cup double.

He was one of the best strikers in Europe heading into 2004. And he scored more goals that year than both Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen.

Scored winning goals against France and Portugal in the final. Plus one against Spain too. Not bad for a guy nobody seems to have heard of.

Edited by Bris Vegas

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

In the lead up to Euro 2004, he finished top scorer for Werder Bremen as they won a Bundesliga and Cup double.

He was one of the best strikers in Europe heading into 2004. And he scored more goals that year than both Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen.

He scored 7 goals in all competitions for Bremen in 03/04 and had a career best of 15 (9 in the league) the season before. 

He definitely was not "one of the best" going in to Euro 2004.

In 03/04, Rooney had scored 9 (still at Everton), Vassell 10, Heskey 12 and Owen 19.

41 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s a tough one. The ball clearly hit his arm and changed direction but I’m not sure it met the requirement “ A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation”. I tend to agree with the pundits opinion that his arm was in a very natural position to break his fall.

Yea maybe you're right based on the rule as it is written- the hand is in a natural position due to his dreadful challenge he deliberately chose to make but it's probably a stretch to say he deliberately used his hand.

The only reason I can think the ref gave it was that the movement of the arm towards the ball was deliberate, through the challenge, even if he didn't deliberately go to touch the ball with his hand.

I don't think it's as terrible a decision as people are making out, though.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He scored 7 goals in all competitions for Bremen in 03/04 and had a career best of 15 (9 in the league) the season before. 

He definitely was not "one of the best" going in to Euro 2004.

In 03/04, Rooney had scored 9 (still at Everton), Vassell 10, Heskey 12 and Owen 19.

Did he not outscore Owen and Rooney at Euro 2004?

I can only remember Owen scoring once I think, against Portugal?

Point stands, he was at the time a quality striker. You don’t win Bundesliga, Pokal and Euro 2004 scoring in big games if you don’t have something about you.

That period was the best of his career, no doubt. Won more major trophies than Harry Kane despite playing for worse sides.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Point stands, he was at the time a quality striker. You don’t win Bundesliga, Pokal and Euro 2004 scoring in big games if you don’t have something about you.

That period was the best of his career, no doubt. Won more major trophies than Harry Kane despite playing for worse sides.

Rooney scored 4, only equalled by Van Nistelrooy, and bettered by Baros.

Charisteas was only 4th top scorer at Bremen that season, as he was only 3rd choice CF.

47 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Whichever way you slice it, Greece winning the Euros was a freak result, similar to Leicester winning the premier league. It had nothing to do with a star striker dragging them through, or a wield class defence.

I’d say it’s a once in a lifetime freak result, but then Denmark did a similar thing. And even when Portugal won it, they had some good players, but they didn’t romp to the title, they drew every game didn’t they?

Its weird that the euros brings up these shocks, but the cream always tends to rise to the top in the World Cup.

It’s probably a rod you could beat Southgate with. Getting to a euros final isn’t really all that, if Denmark and Greece managed it, and win the thing. Even Italy have been a pile of crap since they won it, so maybe they weren’t actually that good. 

8 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Yea maybe you're right based on the rule as it is written- the hand is in a natural position due to his dreadful challenge he deliberately chose to make but it's probably a stretch to say he deliberately used his hand.

The only reason I can think the ref gave it was that the movement of the arm towards the ball was deliberate, through the challenge, even if he didn't deliberately go to touch the ball with his hand.

I don't think it's as terrible a decision as people are making out, though.

Certainly not a terrible decision but neither was it a dreadful challenge. I think he just tried to block what he thought was going to be a shot. 

Qatar has to be happy with how it's gone for them though?

Their first appearance at a World Cup (by the back door), scoring one goal ever, and crashing out in the group stages, with 0 points.

How ever you look at it, it’s $220,000,000,000 well spent. At a mere 112% of their annual GDP, this has all been a great adventure for them. I'm no maths-whizz but I make that $220 billion per goal for them

And the small, hitherto fairly little known Gulf state have certainly benefited from the world shining a spotlight on their ahem...local customs

41 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Rumours are that Bellingham has been dumped for Henderson. If this is true, expect England to try to avoid losing rather then win the game against the footballing powerhouse that is Wales ?‍♂️

@Unlucky Alf Bellingham starts buddy, the Standard making up s*** to drive clicks I guess. Should have known! Apologies for the duff info but TF it's not true all the same.

COE