World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

One game is not a body of work. The fact that's all you had in the way to show for him in an England shirt backs the point that he hasn't been great for England. 

Well 2 thoughts. This ‘body of work’ for England thing. We’re not talking about whether he should be installed alongside Gascoigne and Charlton in the English footie Pantheon . (Yet!) Form for a club can be the main factor that drives selection. MacGuire is the exception 

The other thing this guy is saying is that the speed with which FF makes his game changing contributions - it’s often just one touch - leads to them being undervalued. 

You said a couple of days ago something like ‘it’s not that Foden is outright slow ...  Well maybe it’s a thing shortarses can do but he’s like Messi the way he changes direction in a flash.  Defenders have no idea what he will do next and what he does next invariably inflicts maximum damage. He’s like mercury. I don’t care if he comes over as stupid in an interview, with that footballing brain he belongs in mensa 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree it should be blasted high (and into the corner). Into the "unsaveable zone". I've posted this on here before:

I wonder what Dr Bray lectures in (for this part of the video)? Stating the obvious? Put the ball out of goal keepers area of reach of you’ve got a better chance of scoring. Who would have thought?

Is he not also ignoring the risk v reward equation? Yes, the likelihood of reward (scoring) are much greater if you hit the top corners but so are the risks (missing the goal).

Edited by Tamworthram

47 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I wonder what Dr Bray lectures in (for this part of the video)? Stating the obvious? Put the ball out of goal keepers area of reach of you’ve got a better chance of scoring. Who would have thought?

Is he not also ignoring the risk v reward equation? Yes, the likelihood of reward (scoring) are much greater if you hit the top corners but so are the risks (missing the goal).

Bris’s original graphic, though, shows that the shots that miss the goal entirely are relatively low. 

if you do miss the goal from 12 yards, with a run up and only the keeper to beat and you can’t get it on target, you probably want to reevaluate your career choices.

theoretically, it shouldn’t be too difficult to practice placing it in the top corners, where no keeper would save it. There’s no need to blast it then, which is what normal lot causes people to miss. 

Edited by TigerTedd

I've not taken many penalties and I don't think any I have taken were in World Cups. 

But I don't think you need these big run ups or stutter runs or silly little side slip angles to help score. Surely reasonable power (which you don't need to run from the halfway line to generate) and solid accuracy (which you lose during stupid run ups?) you can place a ball beyond a keepers reach?

Some of these penos now are like a catwalk. I'm sure that Simon Cowell is going to be in the VAR room judging them for style. 

You can hit a 25 yard free kick beyond a keepers reach without the Riverdance. You can surely put a solid shot near a top corner? 

These ones that get saved at waist height either side of the keeper are criminal. 

I’ve been thinking about Maddison. For all the clamour to include him in the squad at the start, is he likely to get a game at all now. Even if players hadn’t already proved themselves ahead of him while he’s not been 100%, hrs not played for England for ages, is a World Cup quarter or semi final really the place to chuck someone onto the pitch?

43 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Bris’s original graphic, though, shows that the shots that miss the goal entirely are relatively low. 

if you do miss the goal from 12 yards, with a run up and only the keeper to beat and you can’t get it on target, you probably want to reevaluate your career choices.

theoretically, it shouldn’t be too difficult to practice placing it in the top corners, where no keeper would save it. There’s no need to blast it then, which is what normal lot causes people to miss. 

Of course no successful professional footballer has ever missed the target from the penalty spot.?

53 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Would love to see you take a penalty in a World Cup final and see how you handle the pressure!

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I've not taken many penalties and I don't think any I have taken were in World Cups. 

But I don't think you need these big run ups or stutter runs or silly little side slip angles to help score. 

Some of these penos now are like a catwalk. I'm sure that Simon Cowell is going to be in the VAR room judging them for style. 

It's trend over the last few years. The top keepers had become so good at reading the subtle changes in striker body language that they were saving too many penalties.
The idea with the stutter run is to force the keeper to move first so you can hit your shot taking that into account. Shots taken in this way tend to have less power, but that doesn't matter if the keeper goes the other way.

Lewandowski has been one of the architects of this approach. His penalty record using it is astounding. But at this World Cup keepers have been wise to his approach.

5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

It's trend over the last few years. The top keepers had become so good at reading the subtle changes in striker body language that they were saving too many penalties.
The idea with the stutter run is to force the keeper to move first so you can hit your shot taking that into account. Shots taken in this way tend to have less power, but that doesn't matter if the keeper goes the other way.

Lewandowski has been one of the architects of this approach. His penalty record using it is astounding. But at this World Cup keepers have been wise to his approach.

So there is some analysis behind it. 

I genuinely thought it was all a style thing. 

I thought Lewandowski was lucky the other day. Allowed to retake but with that feint he did I think it's reasonable for the keeper to have stepped off his line. 

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don’t care if he comes over as stupid in an interview, with that footballing brain he belongs in mensa 

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

e ‘it’s not that Foden is outright slow ...  Well maybe it’s a thing shortarses can do but he’s like Messi the way he changes direction in a flash.  

Can't remember which comedian said 'No one accuses Stephen Hawking of being crap at football,'?

He's certainly an intelligent footballer, regardless of how articulate he is with a camera shoved in his face.

Also much prefer the use of 'shortarse' over Lineker thinking he's being smart and non-patronising each time he refers to Messi as 'diminutive'.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

The idea with the stutter run is to force the keeper to move first so you can hit your shot taking that into account.

I’ve been converted to the art of the stutter penalty. Wonderful to watch it being done well. And if it’s done badly, you can wallow in the schadenfreude.

(Fair to say tho that the strikers who peddle it are typically every bit as arrogant as they are gifted )

Don't think keepers have worked out the best strategy for countering them

33 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

What's it got to do with her being a woman? She made a mistake and people are having a laugh about it. Lighten up Ian. People do this all the time. Are you not aware of how people take the piss out of Michael Owen's punditry.

He's probably referring to comments such as the one that says:

"Can't drive, can't swim and now can't add up".

Rather than something like "Maths lesson for Eni!", which lets face it is the sort of thing Souness would have got if it was his mistake.

Edited by JoetheRam

37 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

He's probably referring to comments such as the one that says:

"Can't drive, can't swim and now can't add up".

Rather than something like "Maths lesson for Eni!", which lets face it is the sort of thing Souness would have got if it was his mistake.

Those comments are an extreme minority, it's as if he's trying to tar everyone with the same brush.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

What's it got to do with her being a woman? She made a mistake and people are having a laugh about it. Lighten up Ian. People do this all the time. Are you not aware of how people take the piss out of Michael Owen's punditry.

Not forgetting she said Jimmy Greaves scored a Hatrick in the 1966 world cup final?