The Ukraine War

Day

8 hours ago, David said:

Russia have denied it, which is the worst response. Had they come out, apologised blaming it on a technical malfunction, things could be smoothed over.

With the denial, will only raise questions if it was deliberate or not. Not good.

Reports this morning that it may have been a stray Ukrainian missile fired to intercept some Russian ones......

16 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Hard to know what to make of it with the Russian gov/army. 

Was it a nasty provocative attack- highly likely

Was it an attempted Russian false flag- highly likely

Was it Russian military incompetence- highly likely

I doubt we’ll probably ever find out the true answer. 

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Reports this morning that it may have been a stray Ukrainian missile fired to intercept some Russian ones......

The fact that US officials are briefing that it was indeed a stray Ukrainian missile and unlikely to have been fired by Russia is a strong indication of de-escalation that simply wouldn't be happening if there was any evidence that it was a Russian rocket. 

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The fact that US officials are briefing that it was indeed a stray Ukrainian missile and unlikely to have been fired by Russia is a strong indication of de-escalation that simply wouldn't be happening if there was any evidence that it was a Russian rocket. 

Can’t find any negative in the above post??‍♂️

A tragic event, but so much better than a Russian attack, as reports seem to suggest it was a Ukrainian missile defence malfunction.

When you think about it though, this is still Russia's fault.  If they weren't bombarding Ukrainian cities and energy infrastructure with missiles, Ukraine wouldn't be forced to try and defend (presumably Lviv in this case) with missiles. 

Still, huge relief that this wasn't Russia.

23 minutes ago, Highgate said:

A tragic event, but so much better than a Russian attack, as reports seem to suggest it was a Ukrainian missile defence malfunction.

When you think about it though, this is still Russia's fault.  If they weren't bombarding Ukrainian cities and energy infrastructure with missiles, Ukraine wouldn't be forced to try and defend (presumably Lviv in this case) with missiles. 

Still, huge relief that this wasn't Russia.

Yes Sergey Surovikin is a big believer in large scale missile attacks on civilian infrastructure as he did in Syria, the number of missiles used against Ukraine has risen dramatically since he took over.

And sadly with the increase of use, comes the increase of mistakes/malfuntion for either side. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our company here in Utch has been struggling to fill vacancies for months now, not enough local labour and no chance of getting here by public transport for shift work from Derby, Burton, Stafford or Stoke.

Today we've found out we have 54 new starters next week, all Ukrainian, all have been working on farms in the south and east, living in tents, caravans etc but have been helped to find privately rented flats in Leek and Derby and will be offered subsidised transport (minibuses) to get to and from work.

Might cause a tiny bit of ill feeling from current workers who are paying huge petrol bills to get to work from the outlying areas.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Today we've found out we have 54 new starters next week, all Ukrainian, all have been working on farms in the south and east, living in tents, caravans etc but have been helped to find privately rented flats in Leek and Derby and will be offered subsidised transport (minibuses) to get to and from work.

I guess the flights to Rwanda were full

But in all seriousness, it should cause ill feeling. If we need labour, then we should be able to subsidise and prioritise helping everyone willing to do it. Be it British nationals who can't afford their transport, displaced Ukrainians or indeed any refugees of all colours and creeds who want to contribute to society 

I’m ready for a deluge of comments from any doubters or those nosed cynics but, I’ve just finished my annual stint as Santa at one of our local schools. There was one family from Ukraine. When I asked the boy (probably about 9 or 10 years old) what he wanted for Christmas he said an end to the war. A genuine story and really brings it home the effect it’s having on many.

53 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m ready for a deluge of comments from any doubters or those nosed cynics but, I’ve just finished my annual stint as Santa at one of our local schools. There was one family from Ukraine. When I asked the boy (probably about 9 or 10 years old) what he wanted for Christmas he said an end to the war. A genuine story and really brings it home the effect it’s having on many.

Very touching. 

Which is how ended up on a register after the last time I played Santa.

Stories starting to hit the news that Ukraine has hit two military airbases in Russia, rumours suggest they have destroyed/damaged several of Russia’s nuclear bombers that have been used recently to launch non nuclear missiles at Ukraine.

The airbases were Engels and Ryazan, both are a good distance from Ukraine, Ryazan is around 300kms from Moscow, so deep into Russian territory. Not sure what they used for this attack, although Ukraine has supposedly developed a long range suicide drone, which could be a possibility.

Of course Russia’s response to this attack on a military target, is to fire more missiles at civilian areas and infrastructure!

12 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Stories starting to hit the news that Ukraine has hit two military airbases in Russia, rumours suggest they have destroyed/damaged several of Russia’s nuclear bombers that have been used recently to launch non nuclear missiles at Ukraine.

The airbases were Engels and Ryazan, both are a good distance from Ukraine, Ryazan is around 300kms from Moscow, so deep into Russian territory. Not sure what they used for this attack, although Ukraine has supposedly developed a long range suicide drone, which could be a possibility.

Of course Russia’s response to this attack on a military target, is to fire more missiles at civilian areas and infrastructure!