The Ukraine War

Day

Terrorist attack in Russia kills 40 and injured 100 people at a concert hall in Moscow. Very reminiscent of the Bataclan terror attack in Paris

Last week western intelligence agencies were warning they had info on a credible threat and warned their citizens to avoid public areas and even leave Russia if they could.

Russia said there was no problem, as they had dealt with the threat.

The Kremlin has not responded as yet, but many Russian commentators are already blaming Ukraine.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-moscow-gunmen-concert-hall-injuries-fe7db5bb4ad4df17b6cbd04a3250faa1

4 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Terrorist attack in Russia kills 40 and injured 100 people at a concert hall in Moscow. Very reminiscent of the Bataclan terror attack in Paris

Last week western intelligence agencies were warning they had info on a credible threat and warned their citizens to avoid public areas and even leave Russia if they could.

Russia said there was no problem, as they had dealt with the threat.

The Kremlin has not responded as yet, but many Russian commentators are already blaming Ukraine.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-moscow-gunmen-concert-hall-injuries-fe7db5bb4ad4df17b6cbd04a3250faa1

They were bound to blame Ukraine (even if there is no evidence). But I can’t see it being a state sponsored Ukraine attack. What would they have the gain? On the other hand, if Putin can convince the public that Ukraine were behind the attack, it may help them strengthen resolve and support for the war. Am I being overly cynical?

4 minutes ago, Cisse said:

I'm willing to bet this was done by FSB which means by Putin. The aim is to get people behind the new moblisation of the reserves that Putin is ordering.

My first thought was 'False Flag' too. Nothing would surprise me.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

They were bound to blame Ukraine (even if there is no evidence). But I can’t see it being a state sponsored Ukraine attack. What would they have the gain? On the other hand, if Putin can convince the public that Ukraine were behind the attack, it may help them strengthen resolve and support for the war. Am I being overly cynical?

I'm the same with most terrorist attacks nowadays. My first thought is always who benefits from this. Gun sales always go through the roof after shootings in the US. People buy to protect themselves or to stock up in case the government restricts sales (they never do but the fear drives huge profits). Either way, every shooting over there is good for business.

Maybe its just getting old makes you cynical as you learn a bit how it all works.

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm the same with most terrorist attacks nowadays. My first thought is always who benefits from this. Gun sales always go through the roof after shootings in the US. People buy to protect themselves or to stock up in case the government restricts sales (they never do but the fear drives huge profits). Either way, every shooting over there is good for business.

Maybe its just getting old makes you cynical as you learn a bit how it all works.

USA issued warnings about an imminent ISIS threat in Russia/Moscow a few days ago. Possibly linked to Ingushetia (an Oblast they have been trying to get rid of/suppress) since Stalin's days.

Edited by Eddie

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The US has stated its Isis and Isis have just claimed responsibility.

It’s their MO and Russia is a ln interesting target given their lack of international status in recent years. They referenced Russias imperialist actions in Chechnya, Afghanistan and Syria.

This branch of Isis are from Afghanistan, and we know Russia past problems in that country 

8 hours ago, Ramarena said:

The US has stated its Isis and Isis have just claimed responsibility.

It’s their MO and Russia is a ln interesting target given their lack of international status in recent years. They referenced Russias imperialist actions in Chechnya, Afghanistan and Syria.

This branch of Isis are from Afghanistan, and we know Russia past problems in that country 

I've heard a reference to Ingushetia too.

I think it's often forgotten that Russian Asia wasn't empty when successive Tsars expanded to the East.

Russia's FSB claiming after a car chase that they have the gunmen and they were heading towards Ukraine and said the gunmen have Ukrainian contacts.

Even tho the USA told Moscow of the planned attack Moscow says they have prevented this...of course they did 🙄

IS have through their Telegram media outlet claimed responsibility, Putin will make hay while the black clouds still circle Ukraine 😡  

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-moscow-shooting-latest-ukraine-islamic-state-live-sky-news-blog-12541713

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I've heard a reference to Ingushetia too.

I think it's often forgotten that Russian Asia wasn't empty when successive Tsars expanded to the East.

Yes @Eddie mentioned this last night and it’s a very likely angle given the branch of Isis these guys are from.

They’ll tie it into Ukraine. There’s no way they won’t miss that opportunity.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Russia's FSB claiming after a car chase that they have the gunmen and they were heading towards Ukraine and said the gunmen have Ukrainian contacts.

Even tho the USA told Moscow of the planned attack Moscow says they have prevented this...of course they did 🙄

IS have through their Telegram media outlet claimed responsibility, Putin will make hay while the black clouds still circle Ukraine 😡  

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-moscow-shooting-latest-ukraine-islamic-state-live-sky-news-blog-12541713

No surprise. 

But why would these gun men head for Russian military lines?

Even if they were involved with Ukraine (unlikely) they’d be heading to to an area where the bulk of the Russian military is. Why wouldn’t they escape Russian borders in one of now many unpoliced areas that Russia doesn’t have the manpower to patrol given the war?

It’s illogical, so obviously it’s the case the Russians will make to involve Ukraine.

19 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

No surprise. 

Even if they were involved with Ukraine (unlikely) they’d be heading to to an area where the bulk of the Russian military is. Why wouldn’t they escape Russian borders in one of now many unpoliced areas that Russia doesn’t have the manpower to patrol given the war?

It’s illogical, so obviously it’s the case the Russians will make to involve Ukraine.

I think we both know @Ramarena that this is for the Russian public...who I guess don't get the information that we do in the West, My take on it is what happened with Operation Barbarossa in WW2, Churchill warned Stalin that the Nazis were planing an attack Stalin was sceptical.

Putin on the other hand would/should have been aware of the "IS" attack but chose to let it go ahead for reasons some believe he could use to attack Ukraine.

If your going to attack you need a good exit plan, It didn't take long for the FSB to capture those who attacked the venue, Making me believe they were aware.   

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

No surprise. 

And this is after Russia’s FSB security service said on 7th March it had prevented an armed attack on a synagogue in the Kaluga region near Moscow by the same IS group that the US warned them about. 

“It was established that the militants of an international terrorist organisation were preparing an attack on the parishioners of the synagogue using firearms,” the FSB said in a statement, with nary a mention of Ukrainian involvement in that.

Putin’s come out and given a speech. The main takeaways are, he’s going after those responsible and this gem

They tried to hide and moved towards Ukraine, where, according to preliminary data, a window was prepared for them from the Ukrainian side to cross the state border.

It’s so stupid, you’d have to be pretty daft to buy into it. But I’m sure many will. I surprised they didn’t say they were caught with copies of Sims 3!

Russia has hundreds of thousands of troops in the area. How could Ukraine prepare a window through heavy Russian lines?

Guess we’ll see how he escalates this. 

Edited by Ramarena

Sky security correspondent saying the 4 terrorists(Tajiks)were captured 400k away in Briansk which is a 6 hour drive, The Rosvadia(national guard)were only 5mins away but took 30mins to get to the venue...where Putin was told within minutes, Sky correspondent seems a little sceptical...about timing and other events and not convinced until he hears more.    

Edited by Ram-Alf

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Sky security correspondent saying the 4 terrorists(Tajiks)were captured 400k away in Briansk which is a 6 hour drive, The Rosvadia(national guard)were only 5mins away but took 30mins to get to the venue...where Putin was told within minutes, Sky correspondent seems a little sceptical...about timing and other events and not convinced until he hears more.    

Bryansk is on the road to southern Belarus.

Ive seen a lot of Telegram chatter saying they were heading to Belarus and not Ukraine as Putin claims. 

Also the Belarus ambassador to Russia says they assisted Russian security services in the arrests ahead of them crossing the border

Belarusian special services helped Russia prevent the "terrorists" who allegedly carried out the deadly Friday night attack on a concert venue complex from escaping across the border Friday night, the country's ambassador in Moscow said.

“Since yesterday, active interaction has been carried out through special services. The head of the State Security Committee is in direct contact with his colleague,” Ambassador Dmitry Krutoy said Saturday, according to Belarus’ official news agency BELTA.

Someone’s telling porkies

6 hours ago, Ramarena said:

In the last couple of hours Isis have been posting some absolutely horrific GoPro footage from the attack that the terrorists must have sent out before they were caught.

But obviously this was all Ukraine, not ISIS.

They'd better start praying to their God...Torture then a slow death 

https://news.sky.com/story/putin-says-all-four-gunmen-arrested-after-133-killed-in-moscow-concert-hall-attack-13100843

Some legitimate points raised here IMO.

One of the suspected attackers, if the translation is correct, claims to have been approached on Telegram and that he did this for money.  That is not ISIS like.

Lots of questions, some perhaps may be answered in the coming days.