The Ukraine War

Day

15 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

There's some very brave people in Russia's elections 👏 

image.thumb.png.486329e04c3c7c858d7c50ec0121b7ca.png

Saw this on the BBC news last night - this woman and another who tried to set fire to the ballot box. Russian authorities apparently described them as 'scum'....

23 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Saw this on the BBC news last night - this woman and another who tried to set fire to the ballot box. Russian authorities apparently described them as 'scum'....

To be fair, if it happened in Britain they would probably be called the same. I would hope however that the ones in Britain would only receive a fine or short jail sentence. I don't think that the Russians will be appearing in public very soon. Unless they're peering over a balcony of course when they somehow slip and fall 13 floors.

41 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

A simple way of protesting will have caused her and most likely her family some big problems 😡

16 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

A simple way of protesting will have caused her and most likely her family some big problems 😡

An ineffective way of protesting will have caused her and most likely her family some big problems. ☹️

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Certainly wasn’t thatcher when she sent people to die in the falklands to get the country tub thumping and raise her popularity 

That's true Archie, but if that expedition had failed, she'd have been drummed out of office within days. That's the difference.

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Apparently they've told him thay can't help as they're too busy helping Starmer to get in.....

Which tactic is best 

1. only allow one real option / party

2, have two party set up but infiltrate and fill both with the same views and policies resulting in the same total lack of choice 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

And yet it was still important for Putin to go through with this pretend election, with carefully selected opposition candidates trying their best not to do well or annoy Putin in any way.  It's interesting to consider why he even bothers with it, clearly he feels that it serves some purpose.  

39 minutes ago, Highgate said:

And yet it was still important for Putin to go through with this pretend election, with carefully selected opposition candidates trying their best not to do well or annoy Putin in any way.  It's interesting to consider why he even bothers with it, clearly he feels that it serves some purpose.  

I hope those "carefully selected opposition candidates" refuse all expense paid holidays to any high rise resort hotels 😬

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

I hope those "carefully selected opposition candidates" refuse all expense paid holidays to any high rise resort hotels 😬

They’ll be OK. They did exactly what they were told to do - not put any sort of a fight, don’t do any serious campaigning and don’t criticise or challenge Putin in any way. They’ll just be rolled out again next time and in the meantime confirm what a great guy Putin is and how the best man won.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Yeah like @Tamworthram says I think the ones that were actually allowed to stand in the election had Putin's permission so they'll be fine. He wants them there, so he can claim it was an actual election, even though we all know it's obviously a nonsense. Any brave soul who actually wanted to be a genuine opposition candidate was simply denied the right to stand in the election (for various spurious reasons), or murdered in a Siberian prison. 

The sad part is, what does all this mean for Ukraine, is there any real hope of removing the invading Russian army from their land, while Putin remains in power in Russia?  And what will happen to them if the orange entity gets re-elected in November? Are they going to have to come to terms with losing part of their country to Russia? 

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yeah like @Tamworthram says I think the ones that were actually allowed to stand in the election had Putin's permission so they'll be fine. He wants them there, so he can claim it was an actual election, even though we all know it's obviously a nonsense. Any brave soul who actually wanted to be a genuine opposition candidate was simply denied the right to stand in the election (for various spurious reasons), or murdered in a Siberian prison. 

The sad part is, what does all this mean for Ukraine, is there any real hope of removing the invading Russian army from their land, while Putin remains in power in Russia?  And what will happen to them if the orange entity gets re-elected in November? Are they going to have to come to terms with losing part of their country to Russia? 

See my response to Tamworth 👌

42 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

They’ll be OK. They did exactly what they were told to do - not put any sort of a fight, don’t do any serious campaigning and don’t criticise or challenge Putin in any way. They’ll just be rolled out again next time and in the meantime confirm what a great guy Putin is and how the best man won.

It was tongue in cheek 😁